Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM

26,760 posts, read 37,665,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
And why would they? English speakers were there before the Spanish speakers. Many of the Spanish speakers are illegals sponging off the US economy as-well. (many who REFUSE to speak English)

I am proud to be from to an English speaking country and if immigrants ever become a majority in my country I will do my best to keep my language in existence!
I am not entirely in disagreement with you, and I can understand that some people feel a bit edgy about the push for Spanish. That said, beyond the obvious absurdity of *requiring* Americans to speak English in order to live in their own country (which I am far from suggesting here), it is a bit odd to have most of the anglos who make up barely 5% of 15% of the population of a mainly Hispanic city but who haven't picked up the slightest bit of Spanish just by living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HELLO?! History check! Spanish speakers were in Florida, Texas, New Mexico and California hundreds of years before English speakers.

Oh well.
Irish speakers were in Northern Ireland before English speakers. Are you going to tell us to speak Irish now too.

You BETTER NOT.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are apples and oranges I think.

The Spanish speakers in the U.S. you refer to are native speakers, as are the Turkish speakers in Austria. The German speakers in French are for the most part second language speakers - people who speak German in addition to their native French.
this is a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There aren't any cities or regions in Austria where people of Turkish origin would be 70, 80 or 90% of the population. In the U.S., you actually have large cities where Hispanics make up that percentage of the population.

Miami is 70% hispanic, and is to my knowledge the only major city in America that's over 50% hispanic.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,227,259 times
Quote:
And why would they? English speakers were there before the Spanish speakers. Many of the Spanish speakers are illegals sponging off the US economy as-well. (many who REFUSE to speak English)

I am proud to be from to an English speaking country and if immigrants ever become a majority in my country I will do my best to keep my language in existence!

your proud to be from an english speaking country

you might aswell be proud to be from a country where it rains every other day of the year , like you had anything to do with it

Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Irish speakers were in Northern Ireland before English speakers. Are you going to tell us to speak Irish now too.

You BETTER NOT.
I wasn't telling anyone to do anything. I was responding to an erroneous statement. Chill.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,469,434 times
This thread make me wonder something else, the big amount of Spanish names that USA has like: Las Vegas, Colorado, Florida, Tejas (Texas) San Francisco, Sacramento, El Paso, Cabo Cañaveral...

Do Americans know what these words mean apart from places names? I don't want to offend I just wonder if it is studied or not.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this is a good point.

Miami is 70% hispanic, and is to my knowledge the only major city in America that's over 50% hispanic.
There are quite a few with over 100,000 people. El Paso, Texas is not a well known city globally but it has around 700,000 people. LA is close to 50% and Dallas and Houston are moving in on 50%. Even New York is around 25% Hispanic I think.

List of U.S. cities with large Hispanic populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,441,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I've noticed this fact always I've travelled... in fact I know a very very very few English native speakers who learn another language.
I was living in the UK and I met many people, smart people with lots of studies and who have travelled a lot but they were monolingual... more or less happened in USA, where the multiculture is everywhere.

Any reason? Is not compulsory at school the study of a second language?
because they feel they don't have to.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Everyone is not as "intelligent" as you.
It's not a question of being more intelligent, but of being genuinely interested in other cultures.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,142,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
This thread make me wonder something else, the big amount of Spanish names that USA has like: Las Vegas, Colorado, Florida, Tejas (Texas) San Francisco, Sacramento, El Paso, Cabo Cañaveral...

Do Americans know what these words mean apart from places names? I don't want to offend I just wonder if it is studied or not.

In general no.

Most people know San This or That I think. Las Vegas pretty much no one will know. El Paso I'd say about half would know. Montana no one would even know is an Spanish word. Shoot I thought Texas and Florida were Indian names. Which is also a difficulty with parts of the West. We might think a place name is Spanish because it sounds like someplace in Mexico, but in reality both are Indian names that held over.

Never heard of Cabo Canaveral. Is that Cape Canaveral formerly Cape Kennedy formerly Cape Canaveral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World