Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times

Advertisements

Just curious. What countries or regions can a college-educated American with 1-2 years of experience get an office job without connections or hookups in that foreign country?

I know it's possible in almost any country but i'm curious about which countries it would be most practical or realistically attainable. Or which countries tend to "try" to hire Americans or westerners/foreigners.

I'm sure china is up there. Where else? Latin America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
Just curious. What countries or regions can a college-educated American with 1-2 years of experience get an office job without connections or hookups in that foreign country?

I know it's possible in almost any country but i'm curious about which countries it would be most practical or realistically attainable. Or which countries tend to "try" to hire Americans or westerners/foreigners.

I'm sure china is up there. Where else? Latin America?
Why do you think it's possible in almost any country? Not in Europe. Immigration is strict.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
When you hope to get hired just because of the fact you're American... It could get a bit difficult in Europe But if you got a degree from a well known university and have good credentials your chances increase.

I once read an article from the German "Spiegel" where they told the story of a young German architect who got hired in China just because he was German. Well, turned out that they did that just for reasons of prestige. He resigned after a while, because he didn't have to do some real work and got bored.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Why do you think it's possible in almost any country? Not in Europe. Immigration is strict.
I agree. Some Americans have a weird image of the world, as if anyone were just waiting for Americans This is the 21st century, the world has changed a lot.
If you have a degree from the MIT, Harvard, etc., it will be easier, but don't expect anyone to care about a degree from some university that is not known abroad. You might even have trouble getting your degree accredited.
And if you are not fluent in the local language, even a good degree won't help you. Except for a few countries the world is full of qualified local people just waiting to get a chance.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree. Some Americans have a weird image of the world, as if anyone were just waiting for Americans This is the 21st century, the world has changed a lot.
If you have a degree from the MIT, Harvard, etc., it will be easier, but don't expect anyone to care about a degree from some university that is not known abroad. You might even have trouble getting your degree accredited.
And if you are not fluent in the local language, even a good degree won't help you. Except for a few countries the world is full of qualified local people just waiting to get a chance.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Contrary to popular belief, if you have tech skills, webdesign skills as a native English speaker, or if you know several foreign languages, you can get a job in some European countries with businesses who have an English-speaking clientele, or in tourism. I know people who have done it, and American students in the Germanic countries have gotten jobs, especially with international non-profits, like human rights organizations, UN-related offices, and the like. But Europe is not actively looking for native English speakers. You have to go over there and develop connections, and demonstrate your proficiency in the local language.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times
Where Did I say Europe?

2-3 people in this thread assumed I'm talking about Europe, and went on to assume that I have a distorted view of the world....

I work as a recruiter in a high tech industry, spending half of my time recruiting throughout Europe. I'm very well aware taht American's don't receive preferential treatment, and rightly so.

However, I'm also aware that other countries are very eager to hire Americans, partially just for being American (rather than based on qualifications alone). does it mean I'm cocky or arrogant? no. I'm being observant. I know China is one of these countries. I made this thread to ask if there are any others.

Still haven't received much help or insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Why do I think it's possible to get a job in any country? cause it is. I didn't say I'd have an advantage in any country. Again, the point of this thread is to ask which countries WOULD provide an advantage. Obviously Europe would not be a region where I would receive an advantage.

That being said, It's still possible. How can you argue it's not possible to get a job in any country?
1. acquire necessary skills/experience
2. successfully interview
2. receive job offer and have the company that's hiring you provide a work visa

there, done.

Last edited by Ronnie555; 11-14-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Quote:
Where Did I say Europe?

2-3 people in this thread assumed I'm talking about Europe, and went on to assume that I have a distorted view of the world....

I work as a recruiter in a high tech industry, spending half of my time recruiting throughout Europe. I'm very well aware taht American's don't receive preferential treatment, and rightly so.

However, I'm also aware that other countries are very eager to hire Americans, partially just for being American (rather than based on qualifications alone). does it mean I'm cocky or arrogant? no. I'm being observant. I know China is one of these countries. I made this thread to ask if there are any others.

Still haven't received much help or insight.

Why do I think it's possible to get a job in any country? cause it is. I didn't say I'd have an advantage in any country. Again, the point of this thread is to ask which countries WOULD provide an advantage. Obviously Europe would not be a region where I would receive an advantage.

That being said, It's still possible. How can you argue it's not possible to get a job in any country?
1. acquire necessary skills/experience
2. successfully interview
2. receive job offer and have the company that's hiring you provide a work visa

there, done.
Can you provide specifics on what countries want to hire Amercans "just because they're American"???

The only qualifications that may make an American "wanted" is if they have advanced training and experience in a field like engineering.

Can't speak for everywhere, but in Russia and many parts of East Europe you can't get a work visa unless you have an employer (in their country, not yours) sponsoring you. You also have to show you can speak/understand their language.
You keep mentioning China...are you fluent in Chinese?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
north korea might be out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Can you provide specifics on what countries want to hire Amercans "just because they're American"???

The only qualifications that may make an American "wanted" is if they have advanced training and experience in a field like engineering.
You don't think that a foreign company that sells products in American markets would want to hire some Americans who know the terrain, and perhaps even have contacts?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
north korea might be out of the question.

You don't think that a foreign company that sells products in American markets would want to hire some Americans who know the terrain, and perhaps even have contacts?
I would think those Americans would be wanted for other skills than "being from America"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World