Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer overall?
Western U.S. 30 49.18%
Southern Europe 31 50.82%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times

Advertisements

-Climate: Western US
-Economy: Western US
-Scenery/Beauty: Western US
-Entertainment/Night life: Western US
-Beaches: Southern Europe
-Culture: Western US
-Education: Western US
-Cost of living/visiting: I don't know.. Europe probably.
-People: Western US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post

Biggest problem with Southern Europe is the Economy.
Southern Europe's highway to success, which runs east-west, and to its south, and certainly NOT to its north, has been terribly, terribly broken for a long, long time, and there is no repairing it in sight, not by a long shot.

-Location: southern Europe (should be northern Mediterranean really).

-Climate: coastal southern California offers perpetual Mediterranean late spring/late summer/early fall, you can't beat that. In the Mediterranean, southern Algarve, maybe some of coastal Spain and islands, coastal Sicily, southern Peloponessos, Crete, Cyprus. Parts of Spain offer what can be called high desert.

-Economy: Western US by far.

-Scenery/Beauty: Highly subjective, in the eye of the beholder.

-Entertainment/Night life: See below "Education" section, sentence two, nothing more entertaining than that.

-Beaches: Western US. Not sure how people can pick southern Europe on this one, except maybe Portugal, but that's Atlantic coast.

-Culture: Southern Europe.

-Education: If you want to learn the latest technology and business management techniques, the answer is obvious by far. If you want to learn about human nature in the throes of long, drawn out decline and decay with virtually no hope of vital recovery on earth, then the answer is obvious by far.

-Cost of living/visiting: It all depends on your needs/wants in relation to resources and how you budget.

-People: Tie. There are good and bad people everywhere, and there is good and bad in everyone.

And the poll result right now as I write this is a tie, as it should be.

Last edited by bale002; 11-17-2012 at 02:31 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
-Economy:
-Scenery/Beauty:
-Entertainment/Night life:
-Beaches:
-Culture:
-Education:
-Cost of living/visiting:
-People:

(Dark Blue countries only)

(Solid Red states only)
Economy: Western U.S. by a long shot.
Scenery / beauty: Southern Europe, because while the natural scenery is comparable in diversity and magnificence to the Western U.S. (or even exceeded by it), the human scenery of Southern Europe exceeds it beyond measure.
Entertainment / night life: I think the Western U.S. has better theme parks (Magic Mountain anybody? Disneyland?), so the Western U.S. I don't really care about nightlife.
Beaches: Southern Europe, as the Mediterranean is warm enough for swimming several months out of the year while the Pacific is cold year-round; however, women go topless on Mediterranean beaches, which is a disadvantage for me, a practicing Catholic.
People: Certainly the Western U.S., as Southern Europeans are famously insular.
Education: Western U.S.
Cost of living / visiting: Western U.S.; the French Rivera and Italy are far costlier than the Western U.S. for the same grade of trip, and countries like Spain and Portugal are probably comparable.
Culture: Western U.S., more laid-back dress code

Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
There's a big difference with south-west Europe and south-east Europe. So it's difficult to say.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I'm not a big fan of Southern Europe (I prefer the Northern Europe), so Western U.S. for me. Now if the poll was Western Europe vs. Western U.S., then it will be a tough one. The PNW is like the UK Isles, while Southern California is like Mediteranean.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,426,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
-Economy:
-Scenery/Beauty:
-Entertainment/Night life:
-Beaches:
-Culture:
-Education:
-Cost of living/visiting:
-People:

(Dark Blue countries only)

(Solid Red states only)
The U.S. overall is a much better place than Southern Europe!!!! It's not even worth comparing both nations.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
I am from South Europe and my dream is to visit Western US... I wish I can reply this post based in my experiencies someday.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
[quote=Nunnor;26980329]

-Location: Southern Europe (moved here almost 17 years ago from U.S.)
-Climate: Southern Europe for me (if you want more extremes then W.U.S.A.)
-Economy: Western U.S.
-Scenery/Beauty: Southern Europe (unless you need boffo, rock 'em-sock 'em natural extremes, then WUSA)
-Entertainment/Night life: Southern Europe
-Culture: Southern Europe
-Education: WUSA
-Cost of living/visiting: Southern Europe
-People: Southern Europe by a long shot. Society of the U.S. has become so focused on political differences, social "issues" and conservative religion that these intrude on and taint too many social interactions.

On many of these you just have to be subjective, because preferences are going to probably be age-dependent and contingent on life experience....I've lived in small town America in the Forties and Fifties, and I lived in Manhattan for forty plus years. Had I not had these particular life experiences, I feel that some of my choices would probably have been different.

Last edited by kevxu; 10-11-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The U.S. overall is a much better place than Southern Europe!!!! It's not even worth comparing both nations.
Southern Europe is not a nation.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,407,948 times
-Climate: Both but leaning toward Western U.S.
-Economy: Western U.S.
-Scenery/Beauty: Southern Europe
-Entertainment/Night life: Southern Europe
-Culture: Southern Europe
-Education: Western U.S.
-Cost of living/visiting: Southern Europe
-People: Both but leaning toward Southern Europe

I'm refering Western U.S. only Washington, Oregon, and California / Southern Europe only Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World