Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I just wonder...
how should the world react to a nation that considers itself god's infallible gift to earth which looks down its nose (and talks down) to other nations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I just wonder...
How should the world react to a nation that is by far the most generous on earth and lost hundreds of thousands of its citizens (military) over the years to help liberate other countries?
As a non-American (otherwise known as an Alien), I can say that this is the MAJOR factors of disliking of Americans.
No one likes someone who thinks he/she is THE best and no one even comes close to oneself's greatness.
People like humble people. And let's face it, the US is not humble.
"We liberated you all"
"We gave you freedom"
"No other country has the same freedom as we"
"We are better than you, or atleast most of you"
"We sacrifized thousands of lives to liberate you"
"I've been to Europe/Asia/Africa" (never saying WHAT country, because those are not countries but continents)

Well, how about the thousands of Brits who gave their lives to free Europe? (And, again, not ALL countries in Europe were threatened in WWI nor WWII, and even the neutral ones helped a great deal in the war) How about the thousands of French who did the same? Or all the other nationalities, too many to mention here?
The US helped in the end, but gets all the credit (not in Europe, though). It's like when you try to open a jar, and the lid just doesn't want to give in. You are on it for ten minutes without any luck. Then your friend walks in and asks to help - poff! The lid comes off just as he/she touches it.
Now, would you want to give all the credit to your friend? Afterall, you obviously loosened it, he/she didn't really do anything.

There was a comparison to the King of the Hill, and everyone belov wanting to take whatever person on the top down. Yes, I see the similarity, but it is not only about "taking the King of the Hill down", it is the fact that "the King of the Hill" is keeping everyone down with unfair methods (warfare, nuclear weapons, restrictions etc). In a time when diplomatic conversations are more and more powerful and useful, and where most other nations wants to use this kind of method, the US is still threatening with wars if not getting its will.
"Give me your purse or I'll shoot you."

Nuclear weapons. Weapons of massdestruction. Oh, the dubbelstandard.
The US is the ONLY country that has ever used nuclear weapons on another country. And the US is the ONLY country threatening with war if another country doesn't get stop producing or try to produce nuclear weapons. Yet the US has the BIGGEST nuclear weapon arsenal.
Come on, how can anyone not like this?
The US threatens to start war with Iran (yeah, one of the worst countries today to threaten with war) if it doesn't stop trying to produce nuclear weapons, but other countries cannot tell the US to get ride of its weapons.

The "we are more generous than you" is something that also ticks many people off. No, you are not, but you have more to give away. You are a bigger country than most others, with more people. In percentage, many, many nationalities are at the same level as you. But we don't brag about it as many Americans do.
It is in the Bible (if I had hung around in the religion forum a bit more, I may would have known what passage, but I don't, unfortunately. My sundayschool thought it was better to learn the essence of His words rather than passages), where it says that if you want to give something, don't let the person you give it to or the world that YOU gave it away. True generosity is done without expecting ANYTHING back in reward.
So, as a "God-given people", there should by defenition be no bragging.

Plus, the part of "we are the God-given people"... Well, do I really have to say anything?

The fact that the US thinks it can decide what is right or wrong and put it's nose in other countries's businesses, doesn't sign the Kyoto protocoll eventhough it is producing more greenhouse gases than any other nation (I know China is on the rise, though) and so leaves it up to the other countries to try to change in order to save the world from the facing threats of global warming (now we're saving you, but no credit here since the US government doesn't acknowledge the issue), and the disrespect many old European cultures experiences when American tourists come to their countries (old cultures are very proud of their history. Especially Royalties. And when everyone else is walking around in a castle as if they were in a library or museum and there are Americans who are yelling and chewing gums with open mouths... Try it, no matter what nationality you are, and notice the looks you'll get...)

I'm not trying to cause any problems here. I don't hate Americans, nor do I know anyone who does. But this above is what most people who dislike Americans dislike about "you" in average. I don't know if it is the "average", but it is what we are being told through the news, books, the Hollywood movies, the Internet, personal encounters etc.
I am sure not all Americans are like this. Afterall, you see Swedes in Hollywood movies and they are all blonde and stupid and called either Helga or Marta.
I've never in my life met a Swede named either Helga (that's German, btw) or Marta. Märta, yes, once, but never Marta. And not all are blonde and most certainly not stupid. (Eventhough if reading our news these days from our "biggest" newspapers, you would start believing that)

And, again, the fact that the Americans are so disliked in many parts of the word these days, are mostly, in my opinion, due to the ever presense of the US in media, social life, etc. I can name many things I don't like about Germans, Croatians, Danish, Taiwaneses, Chineses, South Africans, etc, and even about Swedes.
But the rest of the world has not made itself so present as the US has.

Sure, there are always people hating people, so there will always be people hating Americans. But, the average person doesn't HATE Americans or even dislike Americans in general, just certain things. Like those mentioned above (those made out the major part of my class' discussion about the US on a social science lesson last week).

It's all about being in focus. If the US did this but wasn't so present in everyday life, it wouldn't be more noticed than other countries's doings.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I just wonder...
How should the world react to a nation that is by far the most generous on earth and lost hundreds of thousands of its citizens (military) over the years to help liberate other countries?
I'll assume you would like to refer to France about liberation. When France was liberated George W wasn't even born yet.
Liberating a nation means restoring a nation's sovereignty and independence, not creating a subordinate (or satellite as those who were obedient to the Kremlin) puppet state. That means that such nations are capable of making independent decisions, not just taking orders from the US government.
America has been involved in wars but hasn't liberated anyone for decades. And when that happened it was during the administrations of other presidents. America has had presidents who were intelligent, respected and well liked by foreign nations, and willing to cooperate with other nations to achieve common objectives which benefitted not only America. The attitude toward America has been much better than it has been for the last 6 years.
The current greatest benfactor of American foreign aid is Israel (about 3 billion dollars annually), which could hardly be considered a third world nation.
Now we have an administration which considers America to be god's infallible gift to earth, and looks down (and talks down) to other nations. And whenever they disagree, they are spat upon.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
jhassler - I only wish someone who thought like you would run for office!
That was exactly how our "Founding Fathers" intended it should be.
How sad it would be if they could see us now - - they would be turning in their graves.
Would you consider? -
YOU GOT MY VOTE!!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
These are really interesting. I was embarrassed at first, then felt a little patriotic, and then just depressed. It's a real eye opener. I also ran across another video attempting an answer to my question. (I gather this is a popular quest). Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_CA7...elated&search=

Although I do know most Americans would be horrified to be thought of in this manner. I do. Eye openers, really. How do we improve the situation? Any suggestions?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM

63 posts, read 194,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpnahas View Post
jhassler - I only wish someone who thought like you would run for office!
That was exactly how our "Founding Fathers" intended it should be.
How sad it would be if they could see us now - - they would be turning in their graves.
Would you consider? -
YOU GOT MY VOTE!!
People who think the same way run for office frequently...only to fail because they don't have enough money to campaign. Thus.. our current situation, and the topic of my 2nd post...

Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
Therefore my opinion is that if you insult the US government, you insult the US people.
Huh!? Did you really mean to say this?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
These complaints are very typical for someone angry at a market-dominant minority.

Nothing can really be done about it. Even if we fixed all of these complaints 100%, then the rest of the world would just find something new to complain about concerning Americans.

Can the US be better in consulting with other countries and not being so bombastic and militaristic? Yes certainly.

However on the whole America is a very benign country to be running the world at the moment. The European powers from the 15th - 19th centuries were much more destructive than America ever has been. Europeans like to complain about the mess in Iraq, but if you actually go look at the history it is the British and French who were running around in the Middle East in the late 19th and early 20th centuries drawing arbitrary lines in the desert, forcing different ethnic groups who didn't like each other to live with another, and creating rump states. The same thing occured in Africa during the 19th century with the creation of artificial states. In India the British took a divide and conquer policy where they got different Indian relgious and ethnic groups to hate each other so it would be easier for the British to rule. This led to the partition of South Asia (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh) resulting in the death of a million people. Did the British really care? No, because their policies enabled them to rule easier.

So yes America does cause a lot of unnecessary problems in the world, but on the whole we are a very benign super power.

To be honest I think most of the criticism coming from Europe these days is rooted in the fact that they are no longer running the show. I am certain Americans will be voicing similar opinions 100 years from now if/when China becomes more powerful.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM

660 posts, read 2,440,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I am just wondering:
Is there any country left that actually likes Americans? Or did we pretty much ruin it? I don't mean "put up with" either. I mean actually want us to come to your country. Honesty is appreciated by all. Thanks
i could care less what some other country thinks of us
everyone hates america but they sure dont mind comeing here to live

Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
To be honest I think most of the criticism coming from Europe these days is rooted in the fact that they are no longer running the show. I am certain Americans will be voicing similar opinions 100 years from now if/when China becomes more powerful.
Do you "think" it's this way, or is it a "fact"? What causes you to think that this ("running the show") is the problem? What show? What are your sources of information to make your deduction?
The "running the show" statement sounds like a familiar line from talk radio.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I am just wondering:
Is there any country left that actually likes Americans? Or did we pretty much ruin it? I don't mean "put up with" either. I mean actually want us to come to your country. Honesty is appreciated by all. Thanks
Americans as in the people or as in our governments actions?

Big difference..

Other countries hate our government and our politicians. That doesn't necessarily mean they hate Americans. I've been upset with the actions of the French government before but that didn't mean I was upset with my French friends.

So I'd say..

English like us
French
Germans
Swedes
Finnish.. etc etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World