Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Damn how many Americans do you know? lol
He/she summed it up quite nicely. I believe that a lot of Americans are very unhappy as a result and are completely trapped. I don't call it a free country at all. Americans fear government to the point of ridiculousness, but the government isn't the oppressor.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 AM

112 posts, read 353,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I checked past threads to see if this has been done before, which I don't think it has. Anyway, the title explains it all.

Is it because of American tv (which portrays us in the worst light possible, and most of it is not real anyway)?
Because we are a superpower?
Is it because of the "American ignorance"?

Please feel free to answer my question
Although there is some chauvinistic pure anti american hate here and there, (which exists very much so in America ! "damn french frogs", "German nazis", and so on )

I believe for Europeans, its more of a problem with how the USA conducts its foreign policy.
Personally I like Americans very much. Not all. But speaking as a European, although Americans are not always the most educated, I have met some of the most down to earth, nicest people in America, especially in the South.

Americans to me are a good people. Of course everybody hates the "ugly American" which pomposly goes around the world insulting other cultures and being chauvinistic. But everybody also hates the French, English, or other such version.

As I said, most of the hate, if any, comes from foreign policy.
Don't want to start a debate here, but to me as a European I feel its sometimes very naive and runs a very high human cost.

But overall I would classify America as the lesser evil of the world. (Better USA as superpower IMO than China, Russia, or some other country like India!)

Cheers!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Default This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I'm from Northern Ireland and now live in the United States, but not for much longer. You can only truly realise how bloody stupid and backward this country is when you actually live here!!!

(awaiting flames) No flames here...

There are lots of good Americans though. I just wish they'd make themselves heard more than the right-wing morons who ruin America's reputation and set the country back 2 centuries.
yes, there are a great multitude of good and decent Americans and as I have said before, I honestly have not met anyone (foreign or domestic) who I have not been able to find common ground with. I feel sadly for the very poor stereotypes that are pervasive about the U.S. and her citizens and opinions are one thing (one hopes they are borne of personal experiences rather than what is assumed through various media), however facts are another matter entirely. Facts may state the actions of our government and politicians but are not representative of the U.S. citizens regardless of the fact that we have voted for them...just like our families sometimes, we are stuck with them and try to make the best of it.

I think it is safe to say that whatever negative human attributes which exist, may indeed apply to a great many countries, nationalities and citizenry and cannot be ascribed to any one place or nationality in particular.

Just think about all of the negative stereotypes some of you have commented about concerning Americans and I will bet dollars to donuts that you probably know someone in your country or more likely, your own family who behaves in a similar manner; after all there are buffoons and goofballs ALL over this world of ours.

Well that is my modest two cents worth and I invite the world to come and meet the real, down to earth...good hearted, kind, intelligent people of our America in the U.S. Stay away from Hollywood and Disney World...those are only tourist destinations and not who we are.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
He/she summed it up quite nicely. I believe that a lot of Americans are very unhappy as a result and are completely trapped. I don't call it a free country at all. Americans fear government to the point of ridiculousness, but the government isn't the oppressor.
We're just a bunch of normal people living a normal life, idk why people have to put this negative light over us like we are living in some crazy third world country.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Damn how many Americans do you know? lol
350,000 million. I live in the US.
When I recently asked a group of mostly young people what is the meaning of "discretionary time" they said "time to catch up on chores you didn't get to do during the week".

Nuff said.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
350,000 million. I live in the US.
When I recently asked a group of mostly young people what is the meaning of "discretionary time" they said "time to catch up on chores you didn't get to do during the week".

Nuff said.
Wow you know that many people?! You're a popular woman!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Honestly I was just asking can you say the same. I am asking do you have British friends, do you watch British factual tv? That was all lol. Then you go off in a rant and become hostile and defensive. Does America show BBC news for example? Do you keep up-to-date with UK politics?
I'm not sure why this matters since I'm not the one claiming to know so much about the UK.

And yes, America shows BBC.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
It shows BBC america

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
We're just a bunch of normal people living a normal life, idk why people have to put this negative light over us like we are living in some crazy third world country.
You can call it negative if you want/ But it's true. The vast majority of Americans of modest-to-average means, and that includes those where both spouse work so they can have average or even above-average incomes...they work like slaves all the time.

Again: what does it say about a culture when so many of its people believe that "discretionary time" is defined as "time to catch up with house-chores"?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You can call it negative if you want/ But it's true. The vast majority of Americans of modest-to-average means, and that includes those where both spouse work so they can have average or even above-average incomes...they work like slaves all the time.
The U.S. is basically an immigrant nation. Most immigrants who come to the U.S. do so because of its greater economic opportunity, and that's what drives them to succeed generation after generation.

So, it's obvious that Americans would work harder than people in many other countries because achieving success is the reason people come here in the first place. It's woven into the culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World