Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,683,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've come to the conclussion that it's just you they don't like.
Yeah, I know Americans don't like me when I suggest that WE need to get our act together. Maybe Europeans and others don't either, cause I'm not trying to defend other countries' policies. I'm just telling Americans that if they want to change the perception of America, they aren't going to change it by being defensive or deriding what other nations do or arguing with them about their perceptions of the U.S. Perception is reality for most folks. They will change their view when they see our society operates effectively and efficiently, neither of which can be mentioned in the same sentence with the U.S. at this time.

If we could start working together as a nation (which Jimmy Carter suggested in 1979) we could accomplish a lot. But you just watch---I mentioned Carter's name and there will be someone on this thread bashing him as the worst president ever or calling him names. Because, as Carter predicted in his famous 1979 address to the country, we have become so fragmented that we cannot accomplish anything. He may not have been the most effective president, but he was dead on about where we were headed. And now we're there.

If the U.S. ever had any moral high ground to stand on in the world. It lost it a long, long time ago.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,824,224 times
Please, "everyone loves to hate us".

People the world over hate your government, gun laws and arrogance by a minority of your citizens.

Guess what......... they are right! Now stop the poor me attitude and open your eyes to your countries problems instead of getting argumentative. People, or most people, don't hate America, they DISLIKE some things. Americans are just as quick to tell other countries what they dislike about them, so stop playing the victim. Your no better or worse.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Easy tiger! Erm...yes you did (see post 748), I know YOU dont have a problem with it, like I said in my previous post was a response to drknoble, who catagorically stated that having a royal family is WRONG.
If you're responding to a post I made directed at you ... QUOTE THAT POST ... not some other random post directed to anyone else. I'll go look it up and see if I feel the need to respond. Don't think I will, as you two seem to be pretty irrational ... along with your American counterpart, drknoble. (yeah ... looked it up. I was right. It was too irrational to care much about.)

I don't care if you and Hombre want to financially support having a Royal Clown Brigade that cost millions of pounds a year. As I said, and Hombre, I have EVERY right to say it. If it was my decision ... I WOULD NOT APPROVE OF IT. You all may do as you wish. I didn't say that I don't approve that you Brits (as well as other nations) have a Royal Family. I said I wouldn't, if I had a choice. As in ... if I had an opportunity to vote for or against it. And, criminy, it's your language. I'd think you'd grasp the difference between the words "would" and "don't"

And for clarity's sake, since the "owned" seems to have revealed Hombre to be a thirteen-year-old living in his parents' basement, I didn't say anyone spent billions. I said you're welcome to, if you wish to.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,923,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Please, "everyone loves to hate us".
Who said this?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,824,224 times
Look back one page won't take you long, it is a recurring theme throughout this and similar threads.

Plus look at the NAME OF THE THREAD!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

868 posts, read 1,120,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
If you're responding to a post I made directed at you ... QUOTE THAT POST ... not some other random post directed to anyone else. I'll go look it up and see if I feel the need to respond. Don't think I will, as you two seem to be pretty irrational ... along with your American counterpart, drknoble. (yeah ... looked it up. I was right. It was too irrational to care much about.)

I don't care if you and Hombre want to financially support having a Royal Clown Brigade that cost millions of pounds a year. As I said, and Hombre, I have EVERY right to say it. If it was my decision ... I WOULD NOT APPROVE OF IT. You all may do as you wish. I didn't say that I don't approve that you Brits (as well as other nations) have a Royal Family. I said I wouldn't, if I had a choice. As in ... if I had an opportunity to vote for or against it. And, criminy, it's your language. I'd think you'd grasp the difference between the words "would" and "don't"

And for clarity's sake, since the "owned" seems to have revealed Hombre to be a thirteen-year-old living in his parents' basement, I didn't say anyone spent billions. I said you're welcome to, if you wish to.
Your location: Portland. Unless you live in Portland Bill (UK), your whining and complaining about our monarchy is pointless. It's not your decision and never will be, so your "approval" is as meaningless as your whining and complaining.

Get your own house in order before complaining about other countries that have no bearing on your day to day life. You're getting far too emotional about this issue for some reason (hence the CAPS overload and attempts at insulting me) as are other Americans who seem to be offended that another country prefers a different system of head of state. It doesn't make it wrong or right.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,923,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Look back one page won't take you long, it is a recurring theme throughout this and similar threads.

Plus look at the NAME OF THE THREAD!
I thought you were referring to me because I said "a lot of people like to hate us" which is true. I didn't mean it in the context that people are jealous of the United States or anything like that.

In fact, if you look at my post it was mostly balanced as I said there are several places in the world that are great options.

If my meant my post as a recent example then you misinterpreted what I meant.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM

868 posts, read 1,120,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yeah, I know Americans don't like me when I suggest that WE need to get our act together. Maybe Europeans and others don't either, cause I'm not trying to defend other countries' policies. I'm just telling Americans that if they want to change the perception of America, they aren't going to change it by being defensive or deriding what other nations do or arguing with them about their perceptions of the U.S. Perception is reality for most folks. They will change their view when they see our society operates effectively and efficiently, neither of which can be mentioned in the same sentence with the U.S. at this time.

If we could start working together as a nation (which Jimmy Carter suggested in 1979) we could accomplish a lot. But you just watch---I mentioned Carter's name and there will be someone on this thread bashing him as the worst president ever or calling him names. Because, as Carter predicted in his famous 1979 address to the country, we have become so fragmented that we cannot accomplish anything. He may not have been the most effective president, but he was dead on about where we were headed. And now we're there.

If the U.S. ever had any moral high ground to stand on in the world. It lost it a long, long time ago.
Wish I could rep you again.

Thanks for introducing a balanced American POV into this thread.

For that I'll also agree than Americans often get unfairly stereotyped when not all of you are arrogant or ignorant of other countries and cultures.

Happy new year to you.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,683,804 times
Default Thanks, Hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Wish I could rep you again.

Thanks for introducing a balanced American POV into this thread.

For that I'll also agree than Americans often get unfairly stereotyped when not all of you are arrogant or ignorant of other countries and cultures.

Happy new year to you.
Thank you, sir.

I've been in Canada, Japan, England, Viet Nam, Singapore, and Okinawa (a part of Japan, but kind of its own country culutrally). I've seen all sorts of people, good, bad, and indifferent, everywhere I've been. But there just seems something unique and interesting about every country I've ever spent any amount of time in.

And you "limeys" , I love all of you. What a great country with history that makes U.S. history of 200 years ago, look modern!!! We wanted to collect some beer mugs/glasses to take home, and ultimately went into four different pubs (in different parts of England) asking if we could buy one. Not one pub wanted money from us, they just handed them over.

Not quite the same experience in the Far East countries because of language problems, but they were still intersting and cool.

Wishing all of you the best, and not wanting to bore anyone further, I retire from this thread.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM

33 posts, read 268,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Everyone else disagrees with you, including people who are more knowledgeable on the subject. You are fighting a losing battle, sir. Stick to worrying about what is happening in your own back yard, and we'll continue happily with our 'tyrannical dictatorships'. God bless America, the world's purest (and possibly only) democracy and number one nation.

The last line made me laugh! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.