Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Were they from the Tidewater region? They sound a lot like eastern Canadians there.

Oh just realized you said they were from Richmond my bad.
They grew up in Halifax County, Virginia, which is southwest of Richmond near the North Carolina border.

They hardly had any southern accent at all except certain words like "doors" which was pronounced "doze".

"Out" and "About" sounded Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
I talk to Canadians all the time. I can usually tell the difference, but sometimes I talk to one that sounds American.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I wonder if the OP realizes that both countries have such broad, varied accents that there really is no "American" accent and no "Canadian" accent.

My Chicagoan (Shi-CAW-go) accent is pretty flat, and folks from NY and the East coast, parts of the West coast, and definitely teh sawth sound alien to me. And the Canadian accent oft parodied in movies is actually from Nova Scotia (NOOOO-VAH SCOOOO-SHA!). Folks from Vancouver, B.C., both those whose first language is English and other new arrivals from the old Empire sound totally different from them. A friend of mine from Edmonton sounds similar to I, however, the "aboot" (vs. aBOUt) and "ssshedule" (vs. SKEDULE) and "pro-cess" (vs. PRAW-cess) stand out.

Basically, take any two people from any two places and you will get mostly those who sound anything from nearly the same to vastly different.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I can immediately spot an American by the way they pronounce the word "roof".
Really? Because there is a lot of variation in how Americans pronounce the word. From 'rOOf' to 'ruff' to 'ruhf'.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
It takes a couple of minutes for me to tell the diff between Canadian and American. The "out and about" usually does it for me.

Australian and British I can tell apart quite quickly. Australians actually have a strange accent to my ears. It is like they speak keeping their mouth somewhat closed. Are there lots of flies in Australia? Australians have the most bizarre sounding "no" in the English language. Sounds weird to my ears. No offense, but I think the Australian accent is the worst of the English language. Just not pleasant to my ears.

Favorite accent is of course the original, the UK. Pretty much any UK accent is very pleasing to the ears. I also love how different UK accents can be over short distances.

I can tell American accents, particularly well in my region. I can pick out Baltimore very quickly (the most similar to Philadelphia), NYC, Boston, the South, Midwest, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The fact is, Canadian accents and American accents are part of a North American English spectrum.

I mean, If Canadians don't sound like 'Americans', then Texans sure as hell don't either since the average Canadian accent and the average American accent are far closer to each other than their nation's respective outlying accents.

If the biggest 'tell' for differentiating a typical Canadian accent from an American one is the vowel sound in 'out and about', then you are splitting hairs.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If the biggest 'tell' for differentiating a typical Canadian accent from an American one is the vowel sound in 'out and about', then you are splitting hairs.
I don't think it's splitting hairs, I think that's just the smoking gun. Canadian accents have a different tone but once they say 'about' or 'house' my suspicions are confirmed a person is Canadian. Unless they're actually from Wisconsin or something

Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
As mentioned there is a pretty general standard north american accent. The general US neutral accent and the general canadian accent are pretty damn interchangeable.

When you think of how many canadian entertainers there have been in hollywood have any of them actually had to change their accents for roles as british or australian actors do?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
As mentioned there is a pretty general standard north american accent. The general US neutral accent and the general canadian accent are pretty damn interchangeable.

When you think of how many canadian entertainers there have been in hollywood have any of them actually had to change their accents for roles as british or australian actors do?
Well, Carly Foulkes, the T-Mobile girl had to change her pronunciation of 'mobile' from the Canadian (mow-by-ol) to American "mo-bol". I think they do have to get rid of their accents to a certain extent yes.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
Accents and local pronunciations are different things. I've heard mobile pronounced "mo-ble" as many times as "mo-byle" in canada probably more to be honest.

The same goes for schedule where i hear "sked-dule" more than "sheh-dule" even though i believe the latter is the correct canadian pronunciation. Hell on tv the first couple of seasons of 24 had an almost all canadian cast and i never noticed any of them changing their accents to play americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World