Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM

181 posts, read 499,579 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it sounds like most of you are overanalyzing these differences.

The fact that every famous Canadian cannot be picked out as a Canadian by their speech demonstrates that this "Canadian accent" is so trivial it's almost not even worth labelling it an accent at all.

When I hear Joan Rivers speak, I hear the New York accent, when I hear Michael Moore speak, I can hear the Midwest accent, when I hear George Bush speak, I can hear the Southern accent.

I can't think of one single Canadian (Justin Bieber, Shania Twain, Drake, etc) who speaks with this alleged "Canadian accent" that most of you can pick up on instantly.

Most Americans think we talk like Sarah Palin or Michele Bachman, but we don't (at least the vast majority don't). I never understand when people decide to make an "accent" out of everything. Everyone has their own unique way of pronouncing words, doesn't mean it's an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Funny…we say the same about "mericans.
Stay out of our Costco

Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Their driving seemed fine when I was in Washington (maybe because Washingtonians can't drive LOL) and saw the British Columbia plates. Where I am now, if you see a Baja plate, watch that damn car like a hawk!
Really? I've lived a couple of places iniding washington and washington drivers are some of the better lol. Maybe because the other places were east coast. Canadians are horrible drivers though.

As for sounding different, they do sound a little different. They say abooot and baggel and soory.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Really? I've lived a couple of places iniding washington and washington drivers are some of the better lol. Maybe because the other places were east coast. Canadians are horrible drivers though.

As for sounding different, they do sound a little different. They say abooot and baggel and soory.
That misconception has already been dispelled.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That misconception has already been dispelled.
Take it from someone who deals with those people every day. It's no misconception lol. It's a funny place. America's hat, as we call it out here in the county

Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Take it from someone who deals with those people every day. It's no misconception lol. It's a funny place. America's hat, as we call it out here in the county
Where do you live?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 AM

85 posts, read 154,254 times
I can't tell that a guy like Ryan Reynolds has an accent dissimilar to an American accent, but, a guy like Bret Hart (wrestler) to me has a VERY Canadian accent that i can spot instantly.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Where do you live?
A beautiful place right on the border up in Washington state called Whatcom county

Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
A beautiful place right on the border up in Washington state called Whatcom county
Won't argue with you then. I know how it is when people attempt to tell me about Mexicans who live no where near the border when I live just 5 miles from it.

Anyway, are you in Bellingham or even farther up?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:

The Canadian cities have a lot of people from around the world, who bring their bad driving habits with them. We're talking immigrants from Asia, Middle East and then old people from the British Commonwealth. This then affects everyone else's driving styles. In Vancouver the people are not used to driving on big freeways so the slow drivers hog the fast lane.

In California we have a lot of people from other parts of the world too and indeed it makes everyone else become bad-ass drivers!
That's the reality regarding driving styles in multicultural places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World