Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,708,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm sure they hate Finland for speaking a weird language I mean, if dunno what to put here can hate Norway just for the sake of hating it
I bet you mean 'a beautiful and lyrical' language?

I only hate Sweden.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM

2,358 posts, read 7,066,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So basically no one who plays a big role on the international stage.
The road to being not disliked is to be quiet and unassuming.
Exactly !

Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,708,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You're talking about Swiss being racist, so I am saying the same about Chinese.
No, it is not marketing. It is being prejudiced to fellow Asians.
Aside from that, parents in the school where my daughter goes keep on complaining about three teachers of their kids who are Indians from South Africa because they thought these teachers aren't capable of speaking English well because of their ethnicity. They based everything on their ethnicity without researching first about South Africa's official language which is English.
Many Chinese people do not know south Africans speak English as their native language. They just assume Americans, Canadians, British etc. are the authentic ones. They may be ignorant but not racist in this case.

In addition, learning English is also about learning a culture. If I were a student, I would prefer an American teacher over an Nigerian teacher, because I would live in the US in the future, not Nigeria.
I would also prefer a white teacher because many black Americans have a distinct accent which is inadequate for Chinese students to adopt.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,727,114 times
I would say North Korea since everyone else just feels sorry for them (ordinary citizens, not their government).

Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM

2,358 posts, read 7,066,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many Chinese people do not know south Africans speak English as their native language. They just assume Americans, Canadians, British etc. are the authentic ones. They may be ignorant but not racist in this case.

In addition, learning English is also about learning a culture. If I were a student, I would prefer an American teacher over an Nigerian teacher, because I would live in the US in the future, not Nigeria.
I would also prefer a white teacher because many black Americans have a distinct accent which is inadequate for Chinese students to adopt.
South African accent is almost like British accent.
Those Parents have already talked to those teachers many times so they were already aware that they could speak English very well.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,918,785 times
How do people feel about the Dutch Antilles? At first I didn't mind them but thinking more about it I don't like how they're slinking about down there riding on the Netherlands coat-tails acting as if they have a pass to the front of the line. Hell most of them wouldn't know the difference between a windmill and a gin-mill...

Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 AM

329 posts, read 459,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Swiss people are much more racist than Americans.
They literally hate foreigners (even Germans). If you are non-white and want to obtain a swiss citizenship... good luck.
Because Switzerland has an invasion of eu citizen who work for half price and many Swiss complaint.

Normaly it s Europe which should be invaded by Swiss workers... not the reverse.

The Swiss government is going to renegotiate these bilateral with Europe because Switzerland can not save Europe.

Why Europe don't fix their f.... Mess!??

It has nothing to do with skin color, it has something to do with national protection... Swiss like their country and don't want be invaded.

By the way, the Swiss vote and decide of how to run their country.

Swiss will f.... The USA government soon

http://www.opednews.com/populum/page...31021-703.html

Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,499,358 times
I wouldn't get too cocky - Switzerland's economy is being negatively affected by what is happening in the Eurozone. It's surrounded on all sides and is highly intertwined - I don't think they can afford to peruse isolationist policies.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,516,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm sure they hate Finland for speaking a weird language I mean, if dunno what to put here can hate Norway just for the sake of hating it
I don't think Finnish is a weird language, perhaps only different of what we would expect for a nordic country. It sounds much like japanese, for those who don't know both languages.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,709,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't think Finnish is a weird language, perhaps only different of what we would expect for a nordic country. It sounds much like japanese, for those who don't know both languages.
Finnish is a weird language, because it has only 9 consonantal phonemes. English has 19. Japanese has about 11 which are discernible to the western ear. Hawaiian has only 8.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-22-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World