Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Istanbul 68 74.73%
Moscow 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Istanbul versus Moscow is a fair comparison in the sense that Moscow is a successor city to Constantinople, while Saint Petersburg has its roots in baroque and neoclassical Europe and is perhaps more comparable to, say, Florence or Prague or Paris, no?

I still don't think it's a fair comparison, because (from tourist point of view) there is not much left there ( in Moscow) from "successor city to Constantinople." Moscow hasn't been preserved well enough in this respect, becoming this modern mega-monster, while Istanbul preserved its history and atmosphere from what I can see, and so did St. Petersburg more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You'd be surprised. First of all, while Moscow does have the world's most billionaires of any city, Istanbul has the 5th most billionaires of any city in the world. More than Los Angeles, San Francisco, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Taipei, Beijing, Tokyo, etc etc etc.
I don't travel to places in order to view billionaires. The parks, museums, architecture, and palaces in St. Petersburg are exquisite, and can occupy visitors for weeks. The location on the river delta has earned the city the designation, "the Venice of the North". It's less congested and friendlier than Moscow. As to how it compares to Istanbul, I don't know, since I haven't been to Istanbul. But St. Pete's is a work of art.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't travel to places in order to view billionaires. The parks, museums, architecture, and palaces in St. Petersburg are exquisite, and can occupy visitors for weeks. The location on the river delta has earned the city the designation, "the Venice of the North". It's less congested and friendlier than Moscow. As to how it compares to Istanbul, I don't know, since I haven't been to Istanbul. But St. Pete's is a work of art.
You missed the point. High end shopping was being compared and there was a point about not knowing too much about Istanbul in this realm. There are many areas that don't have high end shopping because they don't have enough people with money willing to spend that kind of cash to justify having the stores, or not wealthy enough tourists. My point was that Istanbul, just like Moscow, has many rich people and can support high end shopping, and does. Make sense now?

I haven't been to Moscow or St. Petersburg, but I have friends who have visited both and some friends who have lived there for multiple years. The ones who have been to Istanbul too prefer Istanbul, but really the city is and has been one of the greatest cities on earth for a very long time. So too has Moscow in the least. There are some great, great Eurasian cities out there for sure.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Does anyone have pictures to post of either city? Especially the more residential, less touristy parts of both areas.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does anyone have pictures to post of either city? Especially the more residential, less touristy parts of both areas.
I have a ton of pictures of Istanbul. Most are from the touristy parts or the nightlife parts. However, I have pictures from the Bosphorus Strait of a bunch of different areas. Note: I'm not a great photographer

Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I have a ton of pictures of Istanbul. Most are from the touristy parts or the nightlife parts. However, I have pictures from the Bosphorus Strait of a bunch of different areas. Note: I'm not a great photographer

Sounds fine, it would be great to see them. It's weird that this subforum isn't just filled with amazing photographs.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds fine, it would be great to see them. It's weird that this subforum isn't just filled with amazing photographs.
I posted a few of them above. Here's a few I snapped from the Aya Sofya and Blue Mosque

(From the luxurious Aya Sofya Hammam)

Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM

Basilica Cistern:

Topkapi Palace

Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Moscow;
( no "touristy places- just older part of town... )

Last edited by erasure; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
It's weird that this subforum isn't just filled with amazing photographs.
Be careful what you wish for. We had a spammer who would flood the Russia threads with photos.

Erasure, who took the photo of the camel in front of the MacDonald's sign? That's just priceless!
What church is that, in what neighborhood? Are there two churches there? It looks like there's a 2nd one farther back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World