Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Honolulu surprises me. I just got back from there, and while it's a nice city it's not as good as some others in the US. The traffic there can be pretty bad, and while there's a bus system, there's no train system at all. It's very expensive there too all around. There are walkable places of course (like Waikiki), but I found most of it to not be very walkable to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Chicago gets stupid cold in winter
It's not that cold here in the winter. It's about 7 degrees colder than NYC in the winter, but honestly? I grew up in Minnesota and went to school in Iowa. Chicago is a complete ****ing walk in the park compared to most of the upper midwest. Trust me.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's not that cold here in the winter. It's about 7 degrees colder than NYC in the winter, but honestly? I grew up in Minnesota and went to school in Iowa. Chicago is a complete ****ing walk in the park compared to most of the upper midwest. Trust me.
Minnesota!! Yikes! I am a winter wimp these days. I used to love it, but unless I am skiing, I would just assume have my nice warm/dry climate ala California or the Med. Chicago is a great city tho.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Mercer City Infrastructure Ranking, 2012

Quote:
1. Singapore
2. Frankfurt
3. Munich
4. Copenhagen
5. Düsseldorf
6. Hong Kong
6. London
8. Sydney
9. Hamburg
9. Düsseldorf
11. Yokohama
12. Paris
13. Atlanta
13. Montreal
15. Dallas
16. Toronto
16. Vienna
18. Helsinki
18. Oslo
18. Stockholm
18. Stuttgart
Quote:
*Mercer’s City Infrastructure Ranking 2012 is based on measures of: Electricity, Water Availability, Telephone, Mail, Public Transportation, Traffic Congestion & Airport Effectiveness.
2012 Quality of Living survey

Furthermore, some more details about the "Quality of Living" ranking:

Quote:
Mercer evaluates local living conditions in more than 460 cities it surveys worldwide. We analyze living conditions according to 39 factors, grouped in 10 categories:
Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement)

Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services)

Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom)

Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.)

Schools and education (standard and availability of international schools)

Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.)

Recreation (restaurants, theatres, movie theatres, sports and leisure, etc.)

Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.)

Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services)

Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Honolulu surprises me. I just got back from there, and while it's a nice city it's not as good as some others in the US. The traffic there can be pretty bad, and while there's a bus system, there's no train system at all. It's very expensive there too all around. There are walkable places of course (like Waikiki), but I found most of it to not be very walkable to be honest.
A simple look at the top cities suggests that cost of living isn't weighted very heavily in this ranking, if at all.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
And a new edition of:

What city has world's best quality of life? - CNN.com

Austria: 1
Switzerland: 3
New Zealand: 2
Germany: 7
Canada: 4
Denmark: 1
Australia: 5
Netherlands:1
Luxembourg: 1
Belgium: 1
Singapore: 1
United States: 2
France: 1

Based on this, the Top 3 countries would be: Germany, Australia, and Canada.

Important details:

And some of the worst cities to live in:

lmao @ Detroit. Who woulda thunk ?

The worst of the worst is: Baghdad, Iraq at #221.
To be honest I'm surprised to see Tbilissi so low on the list.
I thought that once they were free from "Russian oppression" and became the US ally instead, their life would have drastically improved, but that doesn't seem to be the case...
( I mean to be just a few spots away from Port O Prince Haiti... )

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
That is a valuable and important topic that affects every person’s life and encompasses a lot of existence and what people need for their lives.

The website link rating cities in the world for quality of life said “Mercer's index survey results are based on an analysis of local living conditions comprising 39 factors in 10 categories.” What city has world's best quality of life? - CNN.com

It could have been more specific about all of those 39 factors/indicators and 10 categories that it used to rank various cities in the world.

Another separate website link related to that: Defining 'Quality of Living' goes a lot more into specifics and clarity with defining quality of living and what it uses to quantify/measure that.

Here is the 10 categories and you can see all of the 39 indicators in the second website link:

Socio-Cultural Environment
Recreation
Consumer Goods
Housing
Natural Environment
Political and Social Environment
Schools and Education
Economic Environment
Medical and Health Considerations
Public Services and Transport

I agree with around 70% of what it says there, but I don’t agree with 30% of that.

There is also even more possible indicators that could be used to make it more accurate. For 3 new categories, I would add: 1. Scenery/Aesthetics, 2. Energy/Vibes/Impressions/Pace of Day to Day Life, and 3. How Peaceful/Laid Back/Easygoing/Easy to Find Clarity and Contentment in that place.

However, I guess that starts reaching subjective levels with some of the new categories I would add. There is objective vs. subjective standards for quality of life with universal standards for everyone vs. individual preferences.

It was overall a good enough/decent but almost mediocre attempt for the Mercer Index to focus on this topic and it had to start somewhere.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
For this separate post, I’ll just talk about the cities they ranked and not about all of those specific categories/indicators they used with the definition for quality of living.

These are all of the cities I agree with for being part of the top 30 (17 out of 30): Vienna, Zurich, Vancouver, Geneva, Copenhagen, Sydney, Amsterdam, Toronto, Hamburg, Berlin, Melbourne, Brussels, Montreal, Singapore, Honolulu, Adelaide, Paris.

Here is all of the cities I don’t agree with that should not be part of the top 30: Auckland, Munich, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Wellington, Ottawa, Nuremburg, Canberra, Stuttgart, San Francisco.

Wow, it appears they just included one French city in that entire ranking system with Paris yet it included a ridiculous amount of German cities such as Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Nuremburg, Stuttgart, Munich?

Lyon, Grenoble, Nice, Lille, Strasbourg should have been contained in the ranks and I can see them being able to qualify for the top 30. They have a higher quality of life and are more exciting than those German cities I said.

I would say France has the highest amount of cities that could qualify for the top 30. Germany would still rank high for countries with number of cities on the list but there is no way I see it as number 1 for that. I see it more as number 5 to number 10 after France, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, USA.

For American cities, Seattle and Portland have a higher quality of life than San Francisco for cost of living/affordability, safety/crime rate, density levels/usually more space, and housing options, so I would include Seattle or Portland in the Top 30 and have San Francisco a bit lower on the list.

Paris does have an overall higher quality of life compared to other very large, crowded, heavily populated cities such as Paris vs. New York City/London/Tokyo.

Usually the very large, crowded, heavily populated cities can have some problems with overall quality of life. For small sized cities, it is kind of the opposite and sometimes they just don't offer enough. Medium sized populated cities can usually offer the best compromise and balance between both sides of the continuum, and that is not a surprise the majority of cities in the top 30 are medium sized cities.

Singapore is the only Asian city that made the top 30. Some more Asian cities should have been included such as Taipei, Osaka, Kyoto, Busan, and maybe Hong Kong and Bangkok.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Wow, it appears they just included one French city in that entire ranking system with Paris yet it included a ridiculous amount of German cities such as Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Nuremburg, Stuttgart, Munich?

Lyon, Grenoble, Nice, Lille, Strasbourg should have been contained in the ranks and I can see them being able to qualify for the top 30. They have a higher quality of life and are more exciting than those German cities I said.

I would say France has the highest amount of cities that could qualify for the top 30. Germany would still rank high for countries with number of cities on the list but there is no way I see it as number 1 for that. I see it more as number 5 to number 10 after France, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, USA.
They ranked 221 cities, of course there are other French cities. Lyon is actually #39 on the list, and a few other cities are likely there, but out of the top 50. A common criticism of the Mercer ranking is its heavy country component, so cities of a given country are often clustered together. Case in point the US have no city in the top 27 but then 8 in the next 21. Tokyo, Kobe, Yokohama are 44, 48, 49. and so on..

Not sure I understand your last comment. Are you saying Switzerland and Austria should have more cities in the top 30 than Germany? You want them to rank Lausanne and Graz??

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
These are all of the cities I agree with for being part of the top 30 (17 out of 30): Vienna, Zurich, Vancouver, Geneva, Copenhagen, Sydney, Amsterdam, Toronto, Hamburg, Berlin, Melbourne, Brussels, Montreal, Singapore, Honolulu, Adelaide, Paris.

Here is all of the cities I don’t agree with that should not be part of the top 30: Auckland, Munich, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Wellington, Ottawa, Nuremburg, Canberra, Stuttgart, San Francisco.
Man, you sure agree and disagree with a lot of stuff. How many of those cities have you actually been to? what's wrong with Auckland?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Maybe Pigeonhole can chime in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World