U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,066,034 times

Advertisements

Hello city-data friends!

It can be a stupid question but I don't know the answer. For example I can see many americans on TV everyday, and almost 90% look like Europeans, because probably the are European descendants or even mixed.
I've heard that Taylor Lautner for example is native american, but he has French and Dutch roots. (at the beginning I though he was Latin American)

Can someone explain to me or show me, give me examples or whatever about what real native Americans look like?

Sometimes when I have to choose ethnicity I also se the option "Native American" so I suppose is quite specific?

Thanks.

Last edited by Catbelle; 12-07-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: I can't edit the wrong tittle sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM

2,737 posts, read 1,823,477 times
Native Americans -Indians is so clear?Фото коренных американцев. (17 фото) Christopher Kalumb their gave the name-Indians . because he thought that he had come to India.All the rest is natural immigrants from around the world, or a mixture of nations. The name of the nation and the country comes from the Amerigo Vespucci. Which was the second sailor after Kalumba.Not it possible that you did not know?

Last edited by GreyKarast; 12-07-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 20,918 times
A pure Native American looks closer to East Asians... than to Europeans. There's still a debate about rather the original Native Americans were part Caucasoid too in the first place.

If Native Americans are from northeast Asia, they definitely could be part Caucasoid, given Central Asia and Russia has plenty Caucasoid-Mongoloid looking people.

People on TV look European, or part European, because they are. Though many people in the Americas are part Native American, most aren't full Native American, but are part European or part African also.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 AM

72 posts, read 42,361 times
Google images of "Amerindian Tribe".

Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,066,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Native Americans -Indians is so clear?Фото коренных американцев. (17 фото) Christopher Kalumb their gave the name-Indians . because he thought that he had come to India.All the rest is natural immigrants from around the world, or a mixture of nations. The name of the nation and the country comes from the Amerigo Vespucci. Which was the second sailor after Kalumba.Not it possible that you did not know?
Of coure I knew... But that was not my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcij View Post
A pure Native American looks closer to East Asians... than to Europeans. There's still a debate about rather the original Native Americans were part Caucasoid too in the first place.

If Native Americans are from northeast Asia, they definitely could be part Caucasoid, given Central Asia and Russia has plenty Caucasoid-Mongoloid looking people.

People on TV look European, or part European, because they are. Though many people in the Americas are part Native American, most aren't full Native American, but are part European or part African also.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
Google images of "Amerindian Tribe".
Yeah not very different from current pure South American.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 AM

882 posts, read 915,501 times
The 19th & early 20th Century photos will give some idea, but note that even there one will find a wide range of features & skin tones. The more noticible "features" in my family are a darker/reddish skin tone (to the point that when younger I'd get comments @ "tanning beds" or "vacations"), jet black hair, dark eyes (but I've bright blue. Go figure). What's funny is that I've passed for/been thought of as Sicilian, Hispanic, or any other darker hued group...

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM

11,154 posts, read 7,575,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Columbus...Colombo, whatever you want to call him actually thought he WAS in India. That's why he gave them the name "Indians." In reality, Columbus went only to the Caribbean. He never actually made it to what is now the US, so everyone after him just named the natives as "Indians."

Anyway, different tribes look different. Usually darker features like Mediterranean type, central Asia, Turkish, etc. I took an American Indian Studies class in college. The first day the teacher (who's American Indian herself) asked me "What tribe are you from?" I'm not even close to American Indian...so just goes to show you. Someone who is Mediteranean/Middle Eastern like myself can be mistaken for it too. There were a lot of people I went to college with who were part AI, but really it's hard to tell unless you know what to look for IMO. You could easily mistake even the "obvious" ones as Mexican.

Interesting note though. The Turkish language actually shares similarities with one of the Native American languages. Researchers believe the two are related and split off from Central Asia sometime ago and formed their respective cultures after.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM

20,676 posts, read 7,929,596 times
They look like Asians to me.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 PM

8,248 posts, read 6,792,891 times
There are lots of old photos taken of actual Native Americans by photographers who traveled around the American West documenting. You can google those. Or google the names of well known warriors and you will very likely find photos of the men themselves.

The only thing about the old photos is that the Native Americans would be quite seriously sun tanned and skin tones are not quite that dark when the people of that ethnicity live a standard Ameican lifestyle where they are indoors a lot of the time.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM

949 posts, read 797,240 times
Native americans ive met range from white to asian. Its weird. Most native americans came from eastern russia area so some look white while others look very asian. Although some "native americans" ive met are really only a third or less native american and just want to show off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World