Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Is the Miss Universe pageant a beauty contest, a talent contest, or a statement in political correctness?

I came in just in time to hear their interview questions and the final results. At any rate, Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, won. I guess that's good. She was Miss Rhode Island, is a student at a Boston area college, and a cellist. She looked better in the Miss USA pageant with her hair down, based on Googling this, than she did tonight.

Her runner up was Miss Philippines.

In terms of looks, Miss Brazil and Miss Venezuela knocked both of them out, followed by Miss Australia, in that order, but they were the first to be eliminated.

In the past, it seemed to be based almost exclusively on looks. Is that not the case anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Used to make me smile when the girls in past contests were asked about their hobbies and what jobs theyd like to do and they all wanted to change the World for the good.. no matter the best looker always won , I do remember though one girl haveing the Miss World title taken from her because they found out she had a child.. shameful...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM

92 posts, read 201,250 times
Miss Australia should've won. I think the winner is determined by Donald Trump himself. Makes me wonder if Donald Trump is planning to do business with the runner up's home.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Well Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins went on to become a celebrity here, I think that's all it really is, a lot of publicity and some eye candy.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM

250 posts, read 502,925 times
This comment probably belongs in the beauty forum, but I've never seen the appeal in caking women's faces up in make-up to the extent that they all look alike.

I find the natural look much more appealing, using a bare minimum of make-up; where innate characteristics become more apparent (nuances of facial expression, posture and behaviour as expressions of habitus dispositions, such as attitude and general demeanour).

Versus:

Last edited by Citizen401; 12-20-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM

59 posts, read 159,470 times
I didn't watch googled the images and tried to find pics of them with not much make up and judged on natural beauty, bikini body, proportionate body, curves? Miss USA and Philippines by far to be honest seem more natural girl next door. Miss Venezuela and Brazil looked older and too plasticky non distinguishable. I guess I expected better from these two. Australia seemed to be my favorite after Philippines and USA but her body seems disproportionate, could break, and don't think the face is unique. Oh we'll these are the top 5 I'm sure there were a lot more beautiful women outside the top 5.

The winner Olivia Culpo

Think the hair up and red made her look fiery hot.

Last edited by Inventernet; 12-20-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
The United States and South America seem to have a lot of good looking women.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Per post #6, the two girls on the ends, Brazil and Venezuela, were the best looking. I don't know what older and plastic means in this regard. They are essentially very attractive brunettes. They look way better than either USA or Philippines. I didn't watch the whole show. I don't know what talents the others had. At any rate, it has to be smarmy if Donald Trump is involved.

No article indicated what USA's ethnic background is. Coming from Rhode Island, she is either Puerto Rican or Portuguese. I couldn't find this. Any knowledge?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Per post #6, the two girls on the ends, Brazil and Venezuela, were the best looking. I don't know what older and plastic means in this regard. They are essentially very attractive brunettes. They look way better than either USA or Philippines. I didn't watch the whole show. I don't know what talents the others had. At any rate, it has to be smarmy if Donald Trump is involved.

No article indicated what USA's ethnic background is. Coming from Rhode Island, she is either Puerto Rican or Portuguese. I couldn't find this. Any knowledge?
No shortage of Italians in RI.

According to this site, her mom is Italian/Irish and her father is Italian. I don't know how accurate or reliable the site is though.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventernet View Post
I didn't watch googled the images and tried to find pics of them with not much make up and judged on natural beauty, bikini body, proportionate body, curves? Miss USA and Philippines by far to be honest seem more natural girl next door. Miss Venezuela and Brazil looked older and too plasticky non distinguishable. I guess I expected better from these two. Australia seemed to be my favorite after Philippines and USA but her body seems disproportionate, could break, and don't think the face is unique. Oh we'll these are the top 5 I'm sure there were a lot more beautiful women outside the top 5.

The winner Olivia Culpo

She looks very beautiful in that picture, much better than during the Miss Universe contest. I think the MUC rarely shows women at their most attractive, they tend to wear way too much make-up and unflattering clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World