Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
One should not pronounce any city with native pronunciation. That's stupid. In French most relevant cities of the Old Word have a different name, so it wouldn't even be possible to pronounce the native way.
Example:
London -> Londres
Roma -> Rome
Barcelona -> Barcelone
Wien (Vienna) -> Vienne
Napoli -> Naples
Cairo -> Le Caire
etc
s'-Hertogenbosch = Bois-le-Duc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
It reminds me when at Subway (sandwich shop), people order their subs with some lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and, oh yeah, some "YaLáPeenos" (Jalapeños).

What??? Lol! Where is this?

Everyone here in CA pronounces them as halapenios, even the non Spanish speakers.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
I always chuckle when I hear newscasters pronounce Beijing (北京) as if it is some town in France (or elsewhere).

I cannot even spell the way these idiots pronounce Beijing, but, they mispronounce the jing portion of the word. They pronounce the j sort of like the French je (I, me).

Bei (北) is pronounced like bay. It simply means north in Chinese.

Jing (京) is pronounced just like the jing in jingle. Jing is one of the Chinese words for capital.

Its kinda funny, because I never hear these newscasters pronounce the very same jing (京) in Nanjing (南京) incorrectly. Nanjing translates to South capital.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 10-02-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Everyone here in CA pronounces them as halapenios, even the non Spanish speakers.
Because of the tilde over the ñ, I've always pronounced them as hahlapenyoes, or hollopenyoes.
No one ever looked askance at me, and I always got them on my plate, or in my sandwich, whether I was in Boston, or Bilbao.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:56 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
I have played the Xbox game Forza Motorsport 6 recently. I find it interesting that the American presenter at least try to say Le Mans and Spa-Francorchamps correctly, but fail completely when pronouncing the German circuit Nürburgring.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:

For sure, you are likely to be asked where you're from in CA if you pronounce it any other way.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM

338 posts, read 335,122 times
How would you guys who are not from the UK pronounce "Gotham" "Featherstonehaugh" "Worcester" and "Gloucester"?

(Correct would be "Got-em" "Fan-shaw" "Woo-ster" and "Gloh-ster")

To folks from the UK: Is it really pretentious to get it right if man is not a Brit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I always chuckle when I hear newscasters pronounce Beijing (北京) as if it is some town in France (or elsewhere).

I cannot even spell the way these idiots pronounce Beijing, but, they mispronounce the jing portion of the word. They pronounce the j sort of like the French je (I, me).

Bei (北) is pronounced like bay. It simply means north in Chinese.

Jing (京) is pronounced just like the jing in jingle. Jing is one of the Chinese words for capital.

Its kinda funny, because I never hear these newscasters pronounce the very same jing (京) in Nanjing (南京) incorrectly. Nanjing translates to South capital.
That's just consonant voicing between two vowels. It's due to analogy to other latinate loanwords in English. Unless the ones saying it were not speaking a western language that voices in this enviroment?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I just pronounce places the way that's most comfortable for me to say.
Havana, Cuba is Havana with a V...I don't say "La Habana" like in Spanish.
I dont say Barthelona ....rather Barcelona.

Spanish speakers will call New York "Nueva York"

Or Los Angeles--- I say Loss An-jell-us. not "Los An-helleez" as is said in Spanish.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I never pronounce cities in English with a native pronunciation unless I can't help it, like Beijing, or Bogotá. I can't pronounce it like pogoda, it's too painful to me

Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:

Not everyone in the great state of Alabama, or LA (Lower Alabama) as it is known around here

Us spanish speakers pronounce it Jalapeños.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World