U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,671 posts, read 18,227,608 times
Reputation: 11177

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
At the other end, Americans absolutely kill me with their rhetoric of "choice".

You can't go a day without hearing someone saying that "people make choices". This implies that everything is about choice, that nothing can go wrong if you just make "the best choice for yourself", and that choices are made in a vacuum or in a state of absolute freedom, with very little if any consequences or taxing constraints...which pretty much turns any "choice" into a "had-no-choice-but". The culture literally fails to acknowledge that many people can only "choose" between a rock and a hard spot and that most parts of our lives are governed by realities way outside of our control.

Yet these people made a cult out of the word "choice" and sometimes I literally feel like punching someone in the face if I hear about "making choices" one more time.
So, the choices I made many years ago to graduate from high school, go to college, get an engineering degree and live and work in the Washington, D.C. area have had no bearing on where I am in life right now? Most of it is due to unseen factors outside of my control?

Wow, no wonder some people who have met me seem to think I won the lottery or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,947,709 times
Reputation: 3819
Any French pet-peeve ideologies? :-)

I had lots of fun reading everything so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,013,264 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, the choices I made many years ago to graduate from high school, go to college, get an engineering degree and live and work in the Washington, D.C. area have had no bearing on where I am in life right now? Most of it is due to unseen factors outside of my control?

Wow, no wonder some people who have met me seem to think I won the lottery or something.
Most people who have done well in life have not only worked hard and made good choices, but have also been lucky enough to have al least something in life happen to go their way - whether it's being born in a well developed state, going to a good school, or having supportive parents. It's clearly possible to succeed no matter what, but an orphan growing up in a Manila slum will have to display far more exceptional personal characteristics in order to become, say, an architect than would a middle-class child growing up in Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,120,182 times
Reputation: 697
I'm not jewish nor do I have jewish relatives or friends of note, but what irks me the most is the rise of rabid anti-semitism in europe. On one hand there are those who see even the slightest misdemeanor by the jewish to sensationalize and pour antisemitic scorn, hatred, bile and vitriol via social media... At the most extreme end are those lunatics who are convinced that this tiny nation state has plans for world domination or that the jewish are somehow the root of ALL the worlds problems. I'm not in any way saying that Israel isn't to blame for some atrocious things in its past, but are there many other countries on this planet that get off scot free on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 AM
 
6,770 posts, read 7,494,561 times
Reputation: 4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I'm not jewish nor do I have jewish relatives or friends of note, but what irks me the most is the rise of rabid anti-semitism in europe. On one hand there are those who see even the slightest misdemeanor by the jewish to sensationalize and pour antisemitic scorn, hatred, bile and vitriol via social media... At the most extreme end are those lunatics who are convinced that this tiny nation state has plans for world domination or that the jewish are somehow the root of ALL the worlds problems. I'm not in any way saying that Israel isn't to blame for some atrocious things in its past, but are there many other countries on this planet that get off scot free on this?
the level of anti semetism is completley over exagerated , of course their is an entire industry who,s job is to present this idea , its largely a way of quashing any criticism of the state of israel which gets a free pass from the media entirely in the usa and to a lesser extent in europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,120,182 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the level of anti semetism is completley over exagerated , of course their is an entire industry who,s job is to present this idea , its largely a way of quashing any criticism of the state of israel which gets a free pass from the media entirely in the usa and to a lesser extent in europe
This is typical ' stormfront ' sophistry -- apply one set of rigid moral standards for one set of people while denying those standards for everyone else. Then you can blame said people for being ' unreasonable ' when they object to the disproportionate criticism you mud sling their way.

I don't mean to open up the can of worms that is the israel/anti-israel debate on these forums, so if you object to my views and have proper arguments and evidence and not just whack job conspiracy theories, I'd appreciate if you send them to me by PM.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 01-04-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
 
2,818 posts, read 5,157,652 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That brought to mind an ex-GF of mine, who was from Germany. I used to like to shave in the shower, and that somehow disgusted her. "Normal people do not shave in the shower."
Why do people shave in the shower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
 
2,818 posts, read 5,157,652 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, the choices I made many years ago to graduate from high school, go to college, get an engineering degree and live and work in the Washington, D.C. area have had no bearing on where I am in life right now? Most of it is due to unseen factors outside of my control?

Wow, no wonder some people who have met me seem to think I won the lottery or something.
Of course you're the product of your free decisions, but the myth of total freedom is just that - a myth. Would you say the fact that you weren't born in a Calcutta slum didn't have at least some influence on your current life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,415 posts, read 10,041,137 times
Reputation: 5779
One of my pet peeves is when people misinterpret ideologies.

As an American, I have never, ever been told that if I make the right choices I will succeed. I have, however, been told that I am responsible for the choices I make.

Such as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yet these people made a cult out of the word "choice" and sometimes I literally feel like punching someone in the face if I hear about "making choices" one more time.
You would be choosing to punch someone in the face. And would therefor have to suffer the ramifications of your action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 AM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,126,351 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
This is typical ' stormfront ' sophistry -- apply one set of rigid moral standards for one set of people while denying those standards for everyone else. Then you can blame said people for being ' unreasonable ' when they object to the disproportionate criticism you mud sling their way.

I don't mean to open up the can of worms that is the israel/anti-israel debate on these forums, so if you object to my views and have proper arguments and evidence and not just whack job conspiracy theories, I'd appreciate if you send them to me by PM.
Do YOU have substantial evidence to back up your claim on the "rabid antisemitism in Europe"? Because I don't see it.

I admit I get a little irritated with Americans and their "rights"...everything is a "right" and people use it to justify their actions ("It was my RIGHT to act that way/do that to that person even if it was wrong"). People are also very deflective in their wrongdoings and people are not held responsible for the consequences of their actions. There is also a general belief that people in poverty "choose to live that way" and are poor because they're personal failures, while successful (i.e wealthy because that's how success is defined here) people are so because of their hard work and diligence and pull-themselves-up-by-the-bootstraps. Most successful people had some sort of head start or support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top