U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 AM
 
250 posts, read 423,088 times
Reputation: 350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Do YOU have substantial evidence to back up your claim on the "rabid antisemitism in Europe"? Because I don't see it.
As he said, keep this kind of inflammatory debate to PMs.

That way, it also means that you are less likely to embarrass yourself through historically ignorant and observationally/epistemically inept remarks like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida, USA
5 posts, read 5,195 times
Reputation: 23
I live in the USA, and am proud of my country, but, as with everything, there are some things that annoy me here. One of the biggest is the fact that we spend the most (by far) for healthcare per capita, yet have many of the worst medical outcomes in the industrialized world. Also, the vast majority of personal bankruptcies are caused by medical expenses. Our national debt is rediculous, partly due to medical costs. Some think the answer is to reduce medical benefits. Obviously, we are doing something wrong in that area. Why can't we look at things other countries do well and implement them in our own society? There have been many instances of other countries using our ideas, so why can't it work the other way?

Another annoyance is the fact that we use our own, outdated measurement system, when nearly everyone else on earth is using the metric system. There is a reason for that. The metric system is far superior, plus it is a global standard. I remember years ago when some of the road signs started including kilometers in addition to miles, and people raised a real stink over it, so we went back to miles only. Now our kids have no concept of how far a kilometer is or how much a kilogram weighs, which is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida, USA
5 posts, read 5,195 times
Reputation: 23
My wife is from the Philippines, and, while I love Filipino people, there are some common traits that drive me nuts. One is that they are sometimes overly concerned with what other people think of them. This includes people they don't even know. My wife sometimes thinks that people are speaking or thinking badly about her, when that likely isn't the case. Another is jealosy. No matter how nice their vehicle, house, job, spouse, etc. is, they will always find someone with a nicer one and obsess over it. My wife does that all the time. She will find someone with a really nice SUV posted on Facebook, and feel that her SUV is inferior. Or, she will find someone with a higher paying position with a better title and get upset about it. That is even though that person may be having financial, marital, or other problems that she doesn't know about. Nobody's life is perfect. All in all, these are very minor annoyances, and most Filipinos I know are wonderful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,123,494 times
Reputation: 697
The Philippines are worse than suburban USA for a "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 AM
 
30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
Reputation: 14050
My pet peeve is that Americans say to others that had tragedy in their lives to get on with their lives as if one can completely erase the past. Of course, people need to move forward but one can't judge when another person is ready to do and one's past is never completely forgotten especially in the case of major loss.

A secondary peeve is that one has full control of their life. One can't control external circumstances. One only can function to the best of their ability according to the cards they have been dealt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,486 posts, read 1,656,106 times
Reputation: 1013
I'm from Brazil, and there are here many pet peeves that annoy me. Perhaps the worst is the fact that the law is not always took seriously and the corruption is somewhat tolerated by people in general. The things don't work as they should work, and if someone commits something wrong, a bribery to the surveyors or even the policemen solves the problem. And in the politics, there are many cases of deputies, senators or even mayors of some cities and towns who are involved with scandals, and they always get elected again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 01:13 PM
 
2,943 posts, read 1,730,839 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill1965 View Post
My wife is from the Philippines, and, while I love Filipino people, there are some common traits that drive me nuts. One is that they are sometimes overly concerned with what other people think of them. This includes people they don't even know. My wife sometimes thinks that people are speaking or thinking badly about her, when that likely isn't the case. Another is jealosy. No matter how nice their vehicle, house, job, spouse, etc. is, they will always find someone with a nicer one and obsess over it. My wife does that all the time. She will find someone with a really nice SUV posted on Facebook, and feel that her SUV is inferior. Or, she will find someone with a higher paying position with a better title and get upset about it. That is even though that person may be having financial, marital, or other problems that she doesn't know about. Nobody's life is perfect. All in all, these are very minor annoyances, and most Filipinos I know are wonderful people.
that trait is present to most people, whether white or black or Asian etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 01:53 PM
 
1,913 posts, read 2,716,384 times
Reputation: 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My pet peeve is that Americans say to others that had tragedy in their lives to get on with their lives as if one can completely erase the past. Of course, people need to move forward but one can't judge when another person is ready to do and one's past is never completely forgotten especially in the case of major loss.

A secondary peeve is that one has full control of their life. One can't control external circumstances. One only can function to the best of their ability according to the cards they have been dealt.
But we can choose our *response* to the dealt hand, hence the "get on with it" suggestion. Americans do tend to prize self-reliance and strength of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM
AFP
 
6,100 posts, read 3,667,653 times
Reputation: 5276
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal;40641793[B
But we can choose our *response* to the dealt hand,[/b] hence the "get on with it" suggestion. Americans do tend to prize self-reliance and strength of character.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 12:30 AM
 
340 posts, read 259,777 times
Reputation: 162
The average normal human is defined by "us". See a church, in every country they draw jesus as whatever race they themselves are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top