U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 AM

3,079 posts, read 4,328,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do they have anything like "the Pledge of Allegiance" in other countries?

When i was in elementary school, we stood up everyday put our hand on our hearts and pledged to the classroom flag... we werent forced to do it but still looking back it seems kind of crazy.

today im not sure they still do it but it still just creeps me out
In Russia there is when you serve in the army(We are all men are required to serve in the army at the age of 18.) - called Oath. Only know the loyalty to the country often violate government officials. People are always loyal to his country and loved ones, even when the government is betraying us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 AM

122 posts, read 140,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The UK actually made the internet Repubocrat!
Tim Berners-Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And it was "invented" by some Russian writer about a century ago.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,233,563 times
Quote:
Yea, i miss the good music
Good music from the 90s? I grew up during the 90s but the music in this period was just embarrassing, especially "Europop". Bands like Aqua, Toy Box, all those crappy DJs and boybands... I can't say I miss it. Music is much better nowadays in my opinion, apart from autotune which seems to be going out of style (finally!).

Anyway, back on topic

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

878 posts, read 1,123,848 times
Sorry but even considering all the eurocrap and all the limp-wristed boy bands, the 1990s were so much more amazing in musical creative talent. The girls were also prettier, and related to that, the big cities had an indescribably hip street vibe. Maybe London is starting to recapture that ' feel ' of the 90s, but it's pretty much gone now everywhere else.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,049,776 times
American cities had a lot more crime in the 90s that's one bad thing. I really wish I was around before the interstate highway system was built. It's pretty sad how they just ruined so many downtowns.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM

781 posts, read 799,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
The country of incomprehensible people. Russians are famous for being incomprehensible, but Americans can really compete on equal terms.

Real wages are declining for like 50 years. But the rich are getting richer. Nobody gives a damn.

The government is killing millions of foreigners and thousands (plus wounded) Americans, spending trillions. Nobody gives a damn.

The government has created thousands A-bombs, forcing Russia to do the same, and point them at the US. It also almost started a nuclear war - twice. Nobody gives a damn.

The government has recently effectively declared a Cold War again (the good thing is that it may be limited to some political barking), against a totally peaceful country. Toying with an idea of making a big fleet of nuclear subs (only they may provide a serious threat to Russia). Nobody gives a damn.

300 million pretty aggressive people are being had by a bunch of bastards, and do nothing. That's incomprehensible.

Slavery. Well fed, and with a fair amount of gadgets, but slavery nevertheless.

People: mixed.
The state: totally negative.

Not in Russia. Some shows are being localized (Russian versions are made), but not the crazy ones.
I think this is a very fair assessment of the US. Freedom and wealth are both being pilfered from the Middle Class, and they do nothing.

Your description of Russia as a totally peaceful country is false, however. Ask Afghanistan and Georgia. That being said, there;s absolutely no reason we shouldn't be allies, except that the military industrial complex in America is very influential. They rely on a stupid, scared public to make them richer.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM

781 posts, read 799,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Good music from the 90s? I grew up during the 90s but the music in this period was just embarrassing, especially "Europop". Bands like Aqua, Toy Box, all those crappy DJs and boybands... I can't say I miss it. Music is much better nowadays in my opinion, apart from autotune which seems to be going out of style (finally!).

Anyway, back on topic
Wow. There was a lot more to the 90's than the backdoor boys. Are you kidding? Some of the best hip hop ever made, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, some amazing techno, Hanson!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,640,914 times
Quote:
American cities had a lot more crime in the 90s that's one bad thing. I really wish I was around before the interstate highway system was built. It's pretty sad how they just ruined so many downtowns.
You should check your history books. Suburban communities like Levittown, New York were built years before the US Interstate System was implemented.

The vast majority of the US Interstate Highway System is in rural areas. Americans left downtowns due to high taxes, high housing costs, lack of housing, crime, etc. The city politicians pushed Americans out of the city due to their onging need to fund the political machines.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 34,596 times
Quote:
I used to not really care but lately ive been wondering about the outsiders perspective about this country. i know it was most likely mostly negative when Bush was president, ever since we elected Obama the anti-americanism seemed to slowly fade away.

what first comes to your mind when you think of U.S.A?

if you see an American tourist, what would be the first question you would ask him about his country?

what do you think the average American life is like?

is it mostly positive views or negative views?
I've been transferred here since last year for my job, so now I live here

what first comes to your mind when you think of U.S.A?
public and private businesses in the usa - I like the systemic in administrative management in american corporates - fast food - money driven culture - low quality education system in public schools & top universities like mit, stanford & harvard etc.. - guns & gangsters - corruption - Religious people - War and U.S. foreign policy - imperialism & attempt to control the world economically using militarily - False media - ignorance and arrogance people (sorry man but you asked) , there is a lot but I'll stop here.

if you see an American tourist, what would be the first question you would ask him about his country?
I use to run into American tourists everyday I do try to ask them where are they from in the us? how is it where they live? and how do you find it here?

what do you think the average American life is like?
I'm here in the states now so I know it depends on how much money you have and where do you live in the us.

is it mostly positive views or negative views?
U.S. foreign policy gives a bad idea to the people in the world about America, a government lying to its people in order to go to war and they do believe them every time, I know that things are very complicated, but imagine yourself living in a country where your family were displaced and a large number of people were killed, the country wealth was looted by U.S. companies using force, a government makes al-Qaeda and then fights it, a government that supports dictators around the world, they do everything to dominate! U.S. government gives a really bad idea about the United States

Americans are nice and simple people in general, but because of the media, corruption, education system, marketing machine, individual cultural etc they turn to be the ignorance and arrogance version.

please don't be offended, criticizing doesn't mean that I hate anyone, I have good friends from the us, and there are a lot of great things about the us that I really like

Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,233,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Wow. There was a lot more to the 90's than the backdoor boys. Are you kidding? Some of the best hip hop ever made, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, some amazing techno, Hanson!
Every decade has some great artists including this one. People in the 80s thought music from the 70s was better, people from the 90s thought music from the 80s was better, people from the 00s think music from the 90s was better and I can assure you that the next generation will be lamenting how much better music was during our time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Sorry but even considering all the eurocrap and all the limp-wristed boy bands, the 1990s were so much more amazing in musical creative talent. The girls were also prettier, and related to that, the big cities had an indescribably hip street vibe. Maybe London is starting to recapture that ' feel ' of the 90s, but it's pretty much gone now everywhere else.
I beg to differ. I much prefer the fashion of our time (tracksuits and neon colours don't look good on anyone) so imo people look better now in terms of style and seem to be more health-conscious than in the 90s (esp. in terms of smoking). Crime rates are also much lower now, at least in my country. We've also made huge progress in the scientific field since the 90s.

I love many things about the 90s but I certainly wouldn't want to go back to it.

Last edited by LindavG; 12-30-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or