U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,119,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I beg to differ. I much prefer the fashion of our time (tracksuits and neon colours don't look good on anyone) so imo people look better now in terms of style and seem to be more health-conscious than in the 90s (esp. in terms of smoking). Crime rates are also much lower now, at least in my country. We've also made huge progress in the scientific field since the 90s.

I love many things about the 90s but I certainly wouldn't want to go back to it.
I think your equating "prettiness" in girls with "fashion-sense" sums up my point ... ie. the hordes of designer brand monkeys we see nowadays who somehow think that wearing identi-kit designer clothes and accessories somehow makes them "attractive". No.

I don't know much about crime rates or health in the USA, but one thing I know for a fact is that rates of obesity are going UP not DOWN. So, again, no.

I would also say that life was so much more interesting before all of this online social networking crap. People had much more motivation to go out, develop proper social skills and interesting character. Sometimes I feel like we're devolving more and more into a William Gibson dystopia-- socially stunted mutant homunculi hunched over laptops and smartphones in darkened recesses of coffee shops and bedrooms, constantly plugged into retarded loserbook and twatter fantasy realities.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 12-30-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,220,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I think your equating "prettiness" in girls with "fashion-sense" sums up my point ... ie. the hordes of designer brand monkeys we see nowadays who somehow think that wearing identi-kit designer clothes and accessories somehow makes them "attractive". No.
I'm equating prettiness with style since I don't believe genetics somehow magically changed over the past decade. Yes, I do think women (and men) nowadays dress better and wear nicer make-up than in the 90s, when it was all about sneakers, cheap tracksuits, neon colours and excessive make-up.

Quote:
I don't know much about crime rates or health in the USA, but one thing I know for a fact is that rates of obesity are going UP not DOWN. So, again, no.
There is more to health than just obesity. Smoking was much more popular in the 90s than it is now for example.

Quote:
I would also say that life was so much more interesting before all of this online social networking crap. People had much more motivation to go out, develop proper social skills and interesting character. Sometimes I feel like we're devolving more and more into a William Gibson dystopia-- socially stunted mutant homunculi hunched over laptops and smartphones in darkened recesses of coffee shops and bedrooms, constantly plugged into retarded loserbook and twatter fantasy realities.
This is a choice. Personally I'm not a member of any social networking sites but I do recognise their advantages. They allow us to find old friends we haven't spoken to in years and to get in touch with people from all over the world. The vast majority of people who use social media are not addicted to it at all. I think life is much more interesting now than it was in the 90s given that it's so much easier to learn about the rest of the world directly and the exciting progress that's being made in science and technology. I remember back in the mid-90s I used to sit in front of the radio for hours trying to record songs I liked on my cassette tape. Now we have YouTube. I remember the cassette tape could only record about 10 songs, which I played on my oversized Walk Man. Now we have iPods that can store thousands of songs. I remember always having to carry pocket change in case something happened and I had to use the phone booth. Now we all have cell phones. I remember my parents telling me to go offline because they had to use the phone. Now we have internet on our cell phones. I could go on

I loved growing up in the 90s but I think many people my age tend to overrate it out of nostalgia, just like people in the 90s believed everything was better in the 80s. I can guarantee you that people born in the 2000s will lament how everything was better back then in about 10 years.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm equating prettiness with style since I don't believe genetics somehow magically changed over the past decade. Yes, I do think women (and men) nowadays dress better and wear nicer make-up than in the 90s, when it was all about sneakers, cheap tracksuits, neon colours and excessive make-up.
Again, you've just affirmed my point about how shallow the current idea of "beauty" is. Beauty is more than just genetics and apparel. Much of it is to do with attitude, posture and how you carry yourself in public. You do realise that the face has a "posture" too? In other words, the muscular distribution, facial proportions and -- in the long term -- the facial bones all adapt to how you "carry" your face; though, obviously, having good genes also helps.

Quote:
There is more to health than just obesity. Smoking was much more popular in the 90s than it is now for example.
According to this gallup poll and graph the % of US population that smokes has dropped from 26% to 24% whereas the % population that is obese has risen from around 22-32%.

The most important sign that the drop in smoking is doing squat all to curtail the health problems of increasing obesity is that the rate of coronary disease and stroke is INCREASING in the USA. Both smoking and obesity are risk factors for these diseases, which are the leading causes of death in the western world. Sorry, but no. The health of the USA, as a whole is going DOWN, not UP.

Quote:
This is a choice. Personally I'm not a member of any social networking sites but I do recognise their advantages. They allow us to find old friends we haven't spoken to in years and to get in touch with people from all over the world. The vast majority of people who use social media are not addicted to it at all. I think life is much more interesting now than it was in the 90s given that it's so much easier to learn about the rest of the world directly and the exciting progress that's being made in science and technology. I remember back in the mid-90s I used to sit in front of the radio for hours trying to record songs I liked on my cassette tape. Now we have YouTube. I remember the cassette tape could only record about 10 songs, which I played on my oversized Walk Man. Now we have iPods that can store thousands of songs. I remember always having to carry pocket change in case something happened and I had to use the phone booth. Now we all have cell phones. I remember my parents telling me to go offline because they had to use the phone. Now we have internet on our cell phones. I could go on

I loved growing up in the 90s but I think many people my age tend to overrate it out of nostalgia, just like people in the 90s believed everything was better in the 80s. I can guarantee you that people born in the 2000s will lament how everything was better back then in about 10 years.
Loserbook addiction is actually a recognized medical condition now, and there's peer reviewed research being done on its causes. If it's big enough of an issue to warrant a government grant and research agenda, then it's a big enough problem as far as I'm concerned.

Sharing music via the web is great, but nowhere near as great as sharing jokes and anecdotes in person with your friends, or meeting new people. I'm not saying that one necessarily needs to forsake the latter for the former. Just putting things in proportion. The web is a great learning resource but it's not the panacea of education that some claim it is. It often leads to academic laziness and plagiarism and fraught with misinformation. Interesting? Undoubtedly. A benefit to us? Not always and not necessarily.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM

250 posts, read 421,914 times
It should be pointed out that mortality rates from coronary and cerebro-vascular disease are declining due to advances in medical management.

However, despite the self-report surveys that try to argue to the contrary, there is an increasing frequency of new diagnoses and admissions to hospital with angina/acute coronary syndrome and cerebrovascular accidents. This suggests a rising underlying prevalence of these vascular diseases that can't be explained purely by an aging population.

These figures are from a number of internal clinical audits in the UK, though it is most probable that the USA has the same trend.

Last edited by Citizen401; 12-30-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM

122 posts, read 139,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Ask Afghanistan and Georgia.
1. Technically, Gorbachev wasn't a president of Russia. And Afghan will say something positive - while for mojaheed terrorists the perception was totally different. Controversial war, but it wasn't an act of aggression.

2. Georgia was an aggressor - which is actually a very mild word for what it did. Russia was forced to send aid to its peacekeepers, who were being destroyed, and a country it protected, which was being genocided.

Quote:
That being said, there;s absolutely no reason we shouldn't be allies, except that the military industrial complex in America is very influential. They rely on a stupid, scared public to make them richer.
This is what sucks the most. I could at least slightly understand, if the problem was in some religion, but it's only about money...

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

1980's europop that I really liked a couple decades ago, especially on this exact day.

Joy - Christmas megamix

Joy - Christmas Megamix - YouTube

Last edited by object704; 12-30-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM

This is one music video from the 1990s that's always stuck with me.

Sure the music's crap, but the video itself is unforgettable. Oh, and check out the girl in the catsuit...she's a dish.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Lol, i was always into Backstreet Boys

Backstreet Boys - I want it that way (Lyrics) - YouTube

Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, i was always into Backstreet Boys
I somewhat liked them too, but would never accept it!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,647,060 times
In general, it seems a very liberal people in terms of economic politics, more conservative in terms of human behaviour, and quite more religious than people from Europe. People from some states such as California, Illinois, New York seems to be more open-minded than people from southern states such as Texas or Arizona - it may be a misconception, though, since I never travelled to USA.

One thing in the american culture which I don't admire is the widespread support in favour of death penalty, while the entire Europe and even Latin America abolished it. With few exceptions, most of the retentionist countries are dictatorships and/or countries under the sharia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or