Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Financial Capital of the World?
London 80 36.04%
New York 142 63.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:39 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,388,104 times

Advertisements

The US put the seal on it. English is taught in schools all over the world because of the US's huge economic and cultural influence.

And colonial Americans were British. British people can't say we took cues from them. Colonial Americans took cues from themselves and their ancestors and made it better.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-23-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The US put the seal on it. English is taught in schools all over the world because of the US's huge economic and cultural influence.

And colonial Americans were British. British people can't say we took cues from them. Colonial Americans took cues from themselves and their ancestors and made it better.
The US was quite non-interventionist before WW2. It was only then that it became a world power (or superpower). That's been just short of 80 years.

So that's around the same time that the British Empire started being dismantled. Most countries with English as an official language are former British colonies, and they retained British educational systems, government institutions, etc. They didn't go out and adopt American ones.

The U.S. economic influence is huge, and so is its pop culture reach... but you'd be surprised, I bet, to see how much influence British culture, and international cultures, still retain outside of U.S. borders. When I choose a book to read, a website to visit, a news outlet, a film to see, a music concert to listen to... there's a very good chance that I'm not choosing an American option. I have a lot of anglophone alternatives.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The US was quite non-interventionist before WW2. It was only then that it became a world power (or superpower). That's been just short of 80 years.

So that's around the same time that the British Empire started being dismantled. Most countries with English as an official language are former British colonies, and they retained British educational systems, government institutions, etc. They didn't go out and adopt American ones.

The U.S. economic influence is huge, and so is its pop culture reach... but you'd be surprised, I bet, to see how much influence British culture, and international cultures, still retain outside of U.S. borders. When I choose a book to read, a website to visit, a news outlet, a film to see, a music concert to listen to... there's a very good chance that I'm not choosing an American option. I have a lot of anglophone alternatives.
In 1900 which was obviously before WW2, the US led the world in industrial output. The US didn't get involved in foreign military affairs but what does that matter? It was still the economic powerhouse of the world. Most of the world didn't even speak English then anyway. Even European immigrants were coming here not knowing any English. English as a part of a child's education now exists because of the US.

Additionally, you won't see me deny that other countries have their own media and celebrity, but American culture still permeates. American celebrities can go to foreign countries and be swarmed by more fans and paparazzi than than celebrities of that country.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-23-2016 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 07:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
Quote:
In 1900 which was obviously before WW2, the US led the world in industrial output. The US didn't get involved in foreign military affairs but what does that matter? It was still the economic powerhouse of the world. Most of the world didn't even speak English then anyway. Even European immigrants were coming here not knowing any English. English as a part of a child's education now exists because of the US.

Additionally, you won't see me deny that other countries have their own media and celebrity, but American culture still permeates. American celebrities can go to foreign countries and be swarmed by more fans and paparazzi than than celebrities of that country.
In 1900, how much of the U.S. economy was dependent upon international trade? Much of the economy was about trade within the U.S., up until the growth of exports, mass production, global corps etc., after WW2. So before WW2, the growth in the U.S. economy meant prosperity for Americans, but overall it had limited influence on the rest of the world.

China overtook the U.S. as the world's largest trading nation in 2013/14 and we still aren't all speaking Mandarin yet. So the size of the economy doesn't always have a bearing on the spread of language or culture.

English-language education was standardized outside the U.S. by the British during the Victorian era. There's still a British Commonwealth of former British colonies, for political, economic, and cultural reasons.

Some Americans--not all, but some--are still very ignorant of international pop culture. The top-selling music albums by country (English and also non-English speaking) show few, if any, American acts... Even in Canada, the top 5 include Shania Twain, Celine Dion, and Adele:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ums_by_country

American celebs (some of them, anyway) do get mobbed in foreign countries, sure. Lady Gaga, Madonna, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, etc.... lots wouldn't. Most non-Americans don't understand who the Kardashians are. Or other reality TV stars. Etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
In 1900, how much of the U.S. economy was dependent upon international trade? Much of the economy was about trade within the U.S., up until the growth of exports, mass production, global corps etc., after WW2. So before WW2, the growth in the U.S. economy meant prosperity for Americans, but overall it had limited influence on the rest of the world.
The US had a relatively even ratio of imports to exports in the early 1900s.

As foreign markets grew, consumers apparently had a greater preference for American over British
products. This could be due to dissimilar product mix in the characteristics, quality, or delivery
aspects of the products, or to other factors.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dirwin/docs/Surge3wp.pdf

Quote:
China overtook the U.S. as the world's largest trading nation in 2013/14 and we still aren't all speaking Mandarin yet. So the size of the economy doesn't always have a bearing on the spread of language or culture.
China's purpose is cheap labor for international corporations and China is not culturally relevant.

Quote:
English-language education was standardized outside the U.S. by the British during the Victorian era. There's still a British Commonwealth of former British colonies, for political, economic, and cultural reasons.
America made it mainstream worldwide which is the point. I don't care what the UK did in commonwealth countries.

Quote:
Some Americans--not all, but some--are still very ignorant of international pop culture. The top-selling music albums by country (English and also non-English speaking) show few, if any, American acts... Even in Canada, the top 5 include Shania Twain, Celine Dion, and Adele:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ums_by_country
The fact that Canada shows Shania Twain and Celine Dion in the top 5 says it all. They will support their own just because, but the fact doesn't change that American artists can go anywhere and sell out to crowds full of "pseudo Americans" effortlessly. Besides that point, Celine Dion and Shania Twain perform American genres because they were influenced by American culture.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-23-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 PM

138 posts, read 168,119 times
Quote:
This thread is the first time I've ever heard London referred to as trendsetting. I have to LMAO at that. If you want to rag on NY that's fine but leave your delusions out of it.

To clear up what I meant, by trendsetting I meant things that a new and experimental, SOME of which lead to global trends. Does NY export more global trends? Maybe. I have no idea. What I meant is that in London you're much more likely to encounter something you've never seen before and "edgy", whether that's music, fashion, design, etc. It feels like a much more experimental, outside the box place to me. While also being so moneyed and sophisticated. Fascinating combo. Again, my take. If by trendsetting you mean NY "wins" because there's more people around the world wearing NY ball caps with flat bills and listening to rap, you might be right. Also, none of this has to do with finance. My bad

Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
To clear up what I meant, by trendsetting I meant things that a new and experimental, SOME of which lead to global trends. Does NY export more global trends? Maybe. I have no idea. What I meant is that in London you're much more likely to encounter something you've never seen before and "edgy", whether that's music, fashion, design, etc. It feels like a much more experimental, outside the box place to me. While also being so moneyed and sophisticated. Fascinating combo. Again, my take. If by trendsetting you mean NY "wins" because there's more people around the world wearing NY ball caps with flat bills and listening to rap, you might be right. Also, none of this has to do with finance. My bad
It's not trendsetting if the world doesn't care about it. NY doesn't just win, it beats the dog **** out of London when it comes to trendsetting. In fact, London lost so bad they forfeited. That's why so many of them are wearing NY caps now.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM

138 posts, read 168,119 times
Quote:
It's not trendsetting if the world doesn't care about it. NY doesn't just win, it beats the dog **** out of London when it comes to trendsetting. In fact, London lost so bad they forfeited. That's why so many of them are wearing NY caps now.
I think you're right!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 AM

514 posts, read 469,291 times
Quote:
It'd be fun to look at developments in China. The biggest Chinese cities account for a whopping amount of trade and financing. And look at how fast they've grown.
As someone said above, much of the financial power from China (and indeed much of the developing and developed world) is streamed to London - more than any other city in the west.

It often surprises me just how influential the British capital is. One way of understanding this is to do financially substantive business in one of these rising cities around the world.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,320,192 times
Quote:
... as the poll above shows, most people have yet to cotton onto recent dynamics in global city metrics.
To be frank, understanding why London leads in finance does involve some abstract reasoning like the concept of the meta-city.

That's why many still hold to the anachronism that Wall Street is the center for global operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World