U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Financial Capital of the World?
London 80 36.20%
New York 141 63.80%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,656 posts, read 2,922,513 times
Reputation: 5178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Pretty far from it. U.S. cultural exports weren't much of a factor at all, until Hollywood films became a thing... and it was a long time before they became globally dominant (I'm thinking world distribution improved after WW2)... the first global Hollywood star was Charlie Chaplin, who wasn't even American. (Nor did he speak English in most of his films, now that I think of it, so maybe not so relevant.) Louis B. Mayer wasn't born nor raised in the U.S.... I could go on. I'm sure you claim Mel Gibson as one of your own too.
What's even more amusing, is that it was British Film Maker David Horsley and his Brother Bill Horsley who went to America and started a film studio in New Jersey, however they moved to the West Coast because of the better light and set up the first film studio in a place called Hollywood. With Horsley was Canadian Al Christie who served as general manager and who was in charge of Christie Comedies, and Englishman Charles Rosher who lent his expertise as the studio's full-time cameraman. Other east coast films companies recognized Horsley's advantage and quickly followed his lead.

The Horsley Brother founded the Centaur Film Company (later, Nestor Motion Picture Company) in Bayonne, New Jersey in 1907, the Horsleys were also involved in the founding of the Universal Pictures Company in 1912; designed and supervised the construction of Universal City; in 1916 set up the Bill Horsley Laboratory (later, Hollywood Film Enterprises, Incorporated), which developed and printed 35mm.

David Horseley - Wiki

Al Christie - Wiki

Charles Rosher - Wiki

Nestor Film Company - Wiki

Centaur Film Company - Wiki

HOLLYWOODLAND William Horsley

Finding Aid for the William Horsley Papers, 1903-1947

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-24-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ROFL - Please just stop.

In other news US Magazine Forbes recently ranked London as the most influential city in the world.
LMFAO This further proves what sensible folks on this website already know: never listen to Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 06:29 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
You all seem to ignore the fact that you keep listing artists who perform American genres and bands who were influenced by Memphis. That's the bone I am picking here.

LOL to the guy who compared Manchester and Liverpool to Memphis. What planet do you live on? Nowhere in the UK has anything on the influence Memphis has had on modern music. That's just a reality you're going to have to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Wow, misleading bunk--That paper addresses U.S. exports of only two products and two products only, steel and iron--and mainly to two markets only, Canada and Mexico. The U.S. was a longgg way from dominating the world's economy at that point. It was essentially very insular until well after WW2.

Pretty far from it. U.S. cultural exports weren't much of a factor at all, until Hollywood films became a thing... and it was a long time before they became globally dominant (I'm thinking world distribution improved after WW2)... the first global Hollywood star was Charlie Chaplin, who wasn't even American. (Nor did he speak English in most of his films, now that I think of it, so maybe not so relevant.) Louis B. Mayer wasn't born nor raised in the U.S.... I could go on. I'm sure you claim Mel Gibson as one of your own too.
You like history so I'll tell you one thing Europe was exporting to the US in droves.. people. LOL. But there's no point in discussing a time before popular culture kicked off and could be spread worldwide. When it went worldwide the UK and the world clung to it like glue.

Quote:
The U.S. has pop culture influence, I certainly won't deny that. It's waning though. The record sales stats prove it. Musicians from other countries are beating the pants off American imports on their home turf.
It's not waning. The rest of the world caught on because they're influenced by American culture. A few examples are Drake, Adele, Keith Urban and Iggy Azalea.

Quote:
Shania Twain's pretty mainstream U.S. Nashville, yep. But Celine Dion's French albums have a different style, with a lot of affinity for trends from France and francophone countries... Dion has the world's top-selling French-language album, which is sort of irrelevant to this discussion, except to indicate some of the U.S. ignorance of what happens across the border, never mind across oceans.
Justin Bieber and Drake are two more Canadians. Drake was borderline obsessed with paying homage to Houston. He even has a Houston tattoo. LOL

Quote:
There's a lot of global trade that has little to do with U.S. trends. The U.S. is dominant in the world, but not as universally as you think.
Listing artists who play American music doesn't prove anybody here right but me.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-24-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 07:43 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,758,716 times
Reputation: 4111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
You all seem to ignore the fact that you keep listing artists who perform American genres and bands who were influenced by Memphis. That's the bone I am picking here.

LOL to the guy who compared Manchester and Liverpool to Memphis. What planet do you live on? Nowhere in the UK has anything on the influence Memphis has had on modern music. That's just a reality you're going to have to live with.
Memphis had an influence, for sure. We can live with that. The fact that there are other influences in the world just escapes you completely, though.

When musicians sell millions of records by singing in Pinyan, Bengali, Hindustani, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Yoruba, etc., it isn't because of the influence of Memphis or any other U.S. locale. English speaking or not... U.S. culture isn't like a one-way export street. How many U.S. musicians imitate Bob Marley's reggae sound, etc.? You aren't getting that.

Global trade isn't entirely controlled by NYC, but you apparently believe that it is. The world economy is a tad more multipolar than that nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Memphis had an influence, for sure. We can live with that. The fact that there are other influences in the world just escapes you completely, though.

When musicians sell millions of records by singing in Pinyan, Bengali, Hindustani, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Yoruba, etc., it isn't because of the influence of Memphis or any other U.S. locale. English speaking or not... U.S. culture isn't like a one-way export street. How many U.S. musicians imitate Bob Marley's reggae sound, etc.? You aren't getting that.

Global trade isn't entirely controlled by NYC, but you apparently believe that it is. The world economy is a tad more multipolar than that nowadays.
Pinyan, Bengali and all that other nonsense has a highly limited influence. You can't compare their influence on a global scale to the US.

Bob Marley is an exception, not a rule. For other countries like the UK, being influenced by the US is not an exception.

Never said "global trade" is controlled by NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,758,716 times
Reputation: 4111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Pinyan, Bengali and all that other nonsense has a highly limited influence. You can't compare their influence on a global scale to Memphis.
You equate "global" to English-speaking countries only, and you put the U.S. (and NYC) at the epicentre of all that. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Bob Marley is an exception within a niche of a niche, not a rule. For other countries like the UK, being influenced by the US is the rule, not an exception.
What's that? I can't hear you, I'm listening to Glenn Gould (Canadian pianist) playing some stuff written by Bach (a German composer). To be specific, some toccatas (Italian innovation).


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjNuQJG9xY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
You equate "global" to English-speaking countries only, and you put the U.S. (and NYC) at the epicentre of all that. Not even close.
I don't think I would consider NY the cultural epicenter of the US. The US has quite a few cultural epicenters.

And I specifically picked at the UK because this thread is about London. But Americans have no problems anywhere.




Quote:
What's that? I can't hear you, I'm listening to Glenn Gould (Canadian pianist) playing some stuff written by Bach (a German composer). To be specific, some toccatas (Italian innovation).
Lol. I knew it would be a matter of time before someone played this game. So you're listening to a pianist. Sounds exciting. Well I guess you win there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:19 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,758,716 times
Reputation: 4111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I don't think I would consider NY the cultural epicenter of the US though.

And I specifically picked at the UK because this thread is about London. But Americans have no problems anywhere.






Lol. I knew it would be a matter of time before someone played this game. So you're listening to a pianist. Sounds exciting. Well I guess you win there.
If there's no Memphis influence, it ain't legit? Here's some Quebec country music for you then. They're singing in Quebec French, but you're so welcome anyway:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtY_XutX9L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 PM
 
1,228 posts, read 899,285 times
Reputation: 921
I just didn't know Glenn Gould/Bach is popular culture now. Sounds like it would get the party started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top