U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM

824 posts, read 1,353,116 times

Advertisements

When I see those programs about Customs, and International airports in the UK, or Australia, or the US, sometimes I wonder what kind of twisted mind came up with the protocole to determine if somebody is a legit tourist, or is some sort of illegal allien wannabe trying to enter in the forbidden garden.

First off , the classic question " how much cash are you carrying?".+

We donīt live anymore in the seventeenth century, where people traveled with all their belongings , with their horses and goats, with the family jewels, with their ervants, with their slaves, in one-way trips. They left home to "do the Americas".

Nowadays people carry this things called "cradit cards", so you donīt have to carry cash and be target of pickpockets. You go to this things called "ITM machines", you click here and there, and then get all the cash you need from your bank accounts (if there's any money in your bank account, of course) .And even if you get pickpocketed by a local scuandrel, there's this thing called "money transfers", you just have to call home and get money wired in a matter of minutes ( if you get somebody at home willing to send you money, of course). What kind of crazy guy goes on international travels carrying cash?

So that's why I find it so weird this question, like if people were supposed to go around carrying bundles of banknotes in their pockets, like street pimps, or something.

Second, the "It's not enough to support yourself for 2 weeks" answer when some guy says he carries a supposedly low amount of money for two weeks, like 200 dollars, or whatever. This is a completely subjective matter. Some people are frugalist, they barely spend any money, in fact there's lots of books and websites offering tips for budget travelers.

And third the "what places are you gonna visit?" question. Okay,some people spend months reading and researching about the place they will visit on their next vacations, but other people just pack their bags and go to the first place that pops up in their mind. So hardly could they give an accurate description of the local landmark monuments and must-see places they are supposed to visit. Check those videos on youtube of Canadian tourists harrased at the checkpoint in Niagara Falls when they were asked by the cops "what shops in that mall are you gonna visit?" I mean, are you supposed to have a "plan" when you visit a mall? A guy was even arrested because he thought the cop was joking.

So I guess the cops must control the people flow crossing international borders...but why not in an intelligent way? Why harrass innocent people with those stupid questions, when there would be other ways to handle this, for example, having a strong, functional secret service who track down terrorists or criminals,arrest them, and send them to jail?

Guys like Roman Polanski have drugged and raped children, but they cros any order they want (well, this guy not so much since was arrested in Switzerland, but he was freed afterwards, so not really a problem for him)

And that Nigerian kid, he's own father had reported him as a potential threat, his name was on several lists but he flew to the USA to commit a bombing attack.

And the cherry top would be 9/11, the guys who did it were already identified and tracked down in severl countries, they knew they were preparing something big, but when they flew to the USA nobody moved a finger, the several secret services and protection agencies shared no info, they were too busy compiting with each other.

So I guess the avarage traveler nowadays has to pay for all that mess, and crossing borders has become a cat and mouse game, when you must answer stupid questions like "how much cash are you carrying", or "what places are you gonna visit"

I wonder what would happen if you answered " hell if I know, I am in an alcoholic stupor most of the day".

What do you think about all this?

Last edited by Javier77; 12-31-2012 at 05:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
They ask harmless questions and are trained to read the reactions of the visitors, to see if they act nervous or look like they are lying. Anyone who acts suspicious to meaningless question might be searched or sent into a more intensive line or asked more questions. It's a kind of a kitchen lie-detector test.

They assume that anyone who actually IS carrying a large amount of cash might be transporting drug money or something, so they give themselves a chance to read a lie. It's against the law in the USA to carry more than $10,000 in or out of the country without reporting it, which is about enough for two weeks in New York City. In some African countries, you can't even take a single small coin of their national currency in or out of the country legally, it will be confiscated.

Turkish border official used to hold your wrist and read your pulse while they were making a search of your car. If your pulse speeds up, they start prying panels off your doors.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
loudly ask, "which line for the body cavity search?" and they'll just wave you on through

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
loudly ask, "which line for the body cavity search?" and they'll just wave you on through
to a holding cell awaiting deportation

Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
When I see those programs about Customs, and International airports in the UK, or Australia, or the US, sometimes I wonder what kind of twisted mind came up with the protocole to determine if somebody is a legit tourist, or is some sort of illegal allien wannabe trying to enter in the forbidden garden.

First off , the classic question " how much cash are you carrying?".+

We donīt live anymore in the seventeenth century, where people traveled with all their belongings , with their horses and goats, with the family jewels, with their ervants, with their slaves, in one-way trips. They left home to "do the Americas".

Nowadays people carry this things called "cradit cards", so you donīt have to carry cash and be target of pickpockets. You go to this things called "ITM machines", you click here and there, and then get all the cash you need from your bank accounts (if there's any money in your bank account, of course) .And even if you get pickpocketed by a local scuandrel, there's this thing called "money transfers", you just have to call home and get money wired in a matter of minutes ( if you get somebody at home willing to send you money, of course). What kind of crazy guy goes on international travels carrying cash?

So that's why I find it so weird this question, like if people were supposed to go around carrying bundles of banknotes in their pockets, like street pimps, or something.

Second, the "It's not enough to support yourself for 2 weeks" answer when some guy says he carries a supposedly low amount of money for two weeks, like 200 dollars, or whatever. This is a completely subjective matter. Some people are frugalist, they barely spend any money, in fact there's lots of books and websites offering tips for budget travelers.

And third the "what places are you gonna visit?" question. Okay,some people spend months reading and researching about the place they will visit on their next vacations, but other people just pack their bags and go to the first place that pops up in their mind. So hardly could they give an accurate description of the local landmark monuments and must-see places they are supposed to visit. Check those videos on youtube of Canadian tourists harrased at the checkpoint in Niagara Falls when they were asked by the cops "what shops in that mall are you gonna visit?" I mean, are you supposed to have a "plan" when you visit a mall? A guy was even arrested because he thought the cop was joking.

So I guess the cops must control the people flow crossing international borders...but why not in an intelligent way? Why harrass innocent people with those stupid questions, when there would be other ways to handle this, for example, having a strong, functional secret service who track down terrorists or criminals,arrest them, and send them to jail?

Guys like Roman Polanski have drugged and raped children, but they cros any order they want (well, this guy not so much since was arrested in Switzerland, but he was freed afterwards, so not really a problem for him)

And that Nigerian kid, he's own father had reported him as a potential threat, his name was on several lists but he flew to the USA to commit a bombing attack.

And the cherry top would be 9/11, the guys who did it were already identified and tracked down in severl countries, they knew they were preparing something big, but when they flew to the USA nobody moved a finger, the several secret services and protection agencies shared no info, they were too busy compiting with each other.

So I guess the avarage traveler nowadays has to pay for all that mess, and crossing borders has become a cat and mouse game, when you must answer stupid questions like "how much cash are you carrying", or "what places are you gonna visit"

I wonder what would happen if you answered " hell if I know, I am in an alcoholic stupor most of the day".

What do you think about all this?
Well any more than 10K has in Cash on them Raises questions of why you have it in a duffel bag or a back pack with 200K in stacks of $50 or $100 Cash on you.

would be a valid reason as to why someone would walk around with on them and like you said Credit cards and ATM and travelers checks mean chances are it is money that is not from you local bank but finding out how long you plan to stay means that they now when you will be leaving and to stay beyond that it would come up that you are illegally in the Country.

They would send out the info to the US agencies to be on the look out and also RCMP and local City police to detain you and hand you over to be Questioned by a CBSA officer and chances are you would never be allowed to enter Canada Again and be departed or criminal charges and spend time in jail and them be deported.

PS Canadians and Americans are asked in fact everyone is asked it to prevent people from illegally staying in the country and where you plan to go and $200 Cash in Vancouver how could you afford two weeks here since food lodging transportation cost would be gone in a day or two but won't find a ITM but we do have ATM machines.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well any more than 10K has in Cash on them Raises questions of why you have it in a duffel bag or a back pack with 200K in stacks of $50 or $100 Cash on you.

would be a valid reason as to why someone would walk around with on them and like you said Credit cards and ATM and travelers checks mean chances are it is money that is not from you local bank but finding out how long you plan to stay means that they now when you will be leaving and to stay beyond that it would come up that you are illegally in the Country.

They would send out the info to the US agencies to be on the look out and also RCMP and local City police to detain you and hand you over to be Questioned by a CBSA officer and chances are you would never be allowed to enter Canada Again and be departed or criminal charges and spend time in jail and them be deported.

PS Canadians and Americans are asked in fact everyone is asked it to prevent people from illegally staying in the country and where you plan to go and $200 Cash in Vancouver how could you afford two weeks here since food lodging transportation cost would be gone in a day or two but won't find a ITM but we do have ATM machines.
When you're going from Ohio to Indiana, or from Hartford to Bridgeport, or from your house to my house with more then $10K in cash, nobody asks how much you've got, even though your reasons for having it are exactly the same, which would raise exactly the same suspicions. The nazi bastards are just using the international border to pry into your own business, constantly searching for trivial pretexts for which to throw you in prison, with another one of our many Gotcha laws.

If you were going to Somalia or Myanmar of Zimbabwe or Cuba, would you just take your debit card?
Good luck finding an ATM machine there. In fact, most of Africa uses non-convertible currency, and if there is an ATM machine, it only gives out Monopoly money, which cannot be exchanged back into dollars if you don't use them. In fact, as recently as 1991, I got stuck in Nicaragua with no cash, and credit cards or travelers checks were not legally accepted anywhere, I had to sell tools to buy gas to drive to the Honduras border.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-01-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,722,183 times
Just answer the questions respectfully and be waved on through. It really is no big deal. As stated in another reply I'm sure it's just a test to see how you answer the questions to see if you should be questioned further.
As to cash, many people actually don't have debit cards or credit cards. If that is all you happen to be traveling with mention that to them.
I have done a lot of traveling and the only issues I had was the first time going through customs upon returning from Venezuela I didn't have my passport ready and I nervously fumbled. Lesson learned---Have all documents in your hand until after passing through customs. And Upon returning from Costa Rica after a 2 day stay with a ticket bought the night before and 1 small carry on bag. Actually he was pretty cool and explained that was the flag when we asked out of curiosity. Another lesson learned.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM

261 posts, read 424,777 times
I don't understand how you can live so comfortable--you live so care free as if a tragic event is something you could only possibly see happen on TV/News. I know it isn't wise to be to terribly paranoid but when it comes to simple questions that could lead to suspection then i am all down for it. It does not take that long and brings everyone into 'center stage' to some degree. Again I just think people are ridiculous to sit around so comfortable when a terrorist can come in many different forms.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 PM

122 posts, read 139,448 times
Quote:
Nowadays people carry this things called "cradit cards"
Which is exactly why a normal tourist wouldn't carry lots of cash.

Quote:
Second, the "It's not enough to support yourself for 2 weeks" answer when some guy says he carries a supposedly low amount of money for two weeks, like 200 dollars, or whatever. This is a completely subjective matter.
1. No country is interested in frugal travellers.
2. If you don't have the miserable minimum, chances are you intend to commit a crime - including working illegally.

Quote:
And third the "what places are you gonna visit?" question.
That's also about money, and your real intentions.

Quote:
Check those videos on youtube of Canadian tourists harrased at the checkpoint in Niagara Falls when they were asked by the cops "what shops in that mall are you gonna visit?"
That's just plain wrong. A police state...

Quote:
for example, having a strong, functional secret service who track down terrorists or criminals,arrest them, and send them to jail?
Wanna say that US should accept all Latinos, who are not criminals? Or Russia all Asians... brrr...

Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:

If you want to be a wiseguy at the border its gonna go down something like this.

LEAKED RECORDING AT US/CANADA CROSSING - YouTube

Yeah we all know crossing a border is a pain in the butt,just play their game,answer all the questions truthfully with no attitude and you'll usually be on your way in short order..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or