U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,752,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
A "cultural capital" is a city which is not the constitutional capital of the country, but is the most important city of that country, or, at least, the "most famous", if we can use this expression.
The definition is obviously subjective but I disagree with that one. To me, "most important", "most famous", and "cultural capital" are 3 different constructs that can overlap for some countries (France: Paris) but differ for others (Russia? China? Canada?).

In my mind, "most important" is related to the size of the city's economy (indirectly related to population). "Most famous" is from a foreigner's point of view; it's mostly about a city's tourist attractions. It's related to population size (all else equal, larger cities are often more famous), natural scenery, museums, etc. "Cultural capital" is harder to define and has to do with arts, music, literature and whatever else you include in "culture"; because a country's cultural experts are its own inhabitants, a country's cultural capital can very well be different from its most famous city, as evidenced by the posts about Spain in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,952,637 times
Argentina: Buenos Aires

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,730,921 times
Los Angeles should be added, las vegas should be out. Las vegas isnt a center of celeberties, or a place where trends start, its just a place where people go for a few days to get broke.

Mumbai should also be added. Its the center of Bollywood, the second largest film industry in the world, and it influences more then 1 billiion people in india. Bollywood pretty much dominates film in the middle east, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

And what about Hong Kong?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM

497 posts, read 846,876 times
To me, these cities are what I would call "Americanas." That is to say, these are the cities that, if they were to never have existed, my country would be a DRASTICALLY different place. Obviously, I'm leaving out some cities (Memphis, Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, etc.), but I would argue these do not hold the same weight as the ones I have mentioned. They are sort of second-tier.

New York City: It is THE American City. The City that all others worldwide are compared to. With cultural enclaves like Broadway (the Theatre), Harlem (a snapshot of African-American Culture), Brooklyn (Hipster/young intellect), Little Italy, The Bronx (Great look at African-American/Caribbean relations and mixes), and many others, I can argue you can "sell" NYC to anyone.

Los Angeles: Hollywood. Enough said. The media capital of the Western World. Glitz, glamour, Celebrities - they're all there. The only true rival to NYC, as well as a look a snapshot of Mexican-American culture as well.

Miami: "Gateway to Latin America." Spicy. Dangerous. Gritty. Sexy. HOT. It's a great way to dip a toe into Latin America without leaving the states. It has the Beaches and the sun and the danger, and yet still votes for an america president!

Atlanta: New South. Up and coming. One of America's "Future Cities" that will only grow in clout. A great look into the concept of Southern Hospitality, yet still being in a big city filled with culture. Considered to be America's Black Mecca as well, with many blacks holding powerful positions. The new home of hip-hop, R&B, and some would argue Black American culture in general.

Boston: America's best answer to a Northwest European city. Filled with American history. Birthplace of many innovations and innovators. Large and growing Portuguese-speaking population, which gives it a certain flair. American History in one word.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,617,004 times
I'm going to go for continents instead of countries here:

North America: New York, Los Angeles, maybe Miami for "Middle America"
South America: Rio, Buenos Aires
Europe: London, Paris, Rome, Saint-Petersburg
Asia: Mecca (for Middle East), Mumbai, Beijing, Tokyo, Jakarta
Africa: Cairo for Northern Africa, Lagos, Kinshasha, Johannesburg
Oceania: Sydney

Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,461,526 times
Cultural Capitals

Sydney Australia

Gold coast Australia

Tokyo Japan

Rio Brazil

Sao paulo Brazil

London UK

Edinburgh UK

Paris France

New york city USA

San fran USA

Las vegas USA

Moscow Russia

Hong kong city

Shanghai China

Toronto Canada

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM

439 posts, read 581,564 times
DginnWonder: Miami: "Gateway to Latin America." Spicy. Dangerous. Gritty. Sexy. HOT. It's a great way to dip a toe into Latin America without leaving the states. It has the Beaches and the sun and the danger, and yet still votes for an america president!

You missed your calling....you should be writing ad-copy for the Miami chamber!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM

33,599 posts, read 51,807,704 times
Fixed the thread and moved back to the original thread starter.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM

497 posts, read 846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
DginnWonder: Miami: "Gateway to Latin America." Spicy. Dangerous. Gritty. Sexy. HOT. It's a great way to dip a toe into Latin America without leaving the states. It has the Beaches and the sun and the danger, and yet still votes for an america president!

You missed your calling....you should be writing ad-copy for the Miami chamber!
Hahaha Thanks! Truth be told, I love the place! There, NYC, and Atlanta are my fave cities in the States!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM

20,588 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Cultural Capitals

Toronto Canada
The cultural capital of French-speaking Canada (roughly a quarter of the country) is Montreal.

Cultural capital status for English-speaking Canada might actually go to the NYC-LA duo as far as greatest total influence is concerned. Or at the very least, to a kind of troika of NYC, LA and Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or