U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think should have control over FI?
God Save The Queen - England 66 83.54%
Don't Cry For Me - Argentina 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,796,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its a pity argentina feel the need to obssess over this issue , ive been to argentina , i think the country has much going for it , with a growing demand for the likes of commoditys worldwide , argentina is in a strong possition to gain or at least should be

argentina doesnt cover itself in glory by bringing this issue up all the time , they were foolish to go to war against the fourth strongest army in the world in 1982
Is this that much of an issue in Argentina? I was under the impression it wasn't; hearing that they are trying to make a stink about it now was a surprise to me. I'm sure that a lot of it is just political posturing; I don't think they seriously believe England's just going to go, "you know what? You're right. Here, have at it" and no one is interested in a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,579,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
The Islanders, of course, have the right to self-government. Argentina's posturing aside, demanding that a group of people hundreds of miles away from your mainland acquiesce to your rule because of an ancient claim is ridiculous.

Argentina will get the exact response Japan would get if Japan demanded Hawaii be handed over to them.

"No."
Actually, both Geographically and hisotrically Hawaii's case does not have anything related with that of Malvinas/Falklands. Bad comparison.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,796,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Actually, both Geographically and hisotrically Hawaii's case does not have anything related with that of Malvinas/Falklands. Bad comparison.
Russia/Alaska would be a better comparison as Russia owned Alaska at one point (about 146 years ago).

Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,750,492 times
Quote:
The Falklands are not going to be Argentinian in the foreseeable future. The British people and British government will not stand by and have our people's rights and freedom crushed under the boot of an invading army and especially that of a country with a well established reputation for torturing and murdering their own people.

But, if you are up for a fight then so be it. We have more troops on the islands than last time supported by fast fighter jets and our ships are much more powerful than they were in 1982. Also our submarines now have cruise missiles which can destroy your air-bases from afar (we will save a couple of missiles for Kirchner).

Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM

20,159 posts, read 21,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Russia/Alaska would be a better comparison as Russia owned Alaska at one point (about 146 years ago).
Even then it's sort of a bad comparison since there were natives of Alaska well before Russia was there or before the US purchased it. Falkland Islands were basically terra nullis with no prior inhabitants, the only thing to return it to would be meadows and penguins (also an acceptable option).

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,401,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its a pity argentina feel the need to obssess over this issue , ive been to argentina , i think the country has much going for it , with a growing demand for the likes of commoditys worldwide , argentina is in a strong possition to gain or at least should be

argentina doesnt cover itself in glory by bringing this issue up all the time , they were foolish to go to war against the fourth strongest army in the world in 1982
to be honest, any stubborn nationalism is entirely derived from the war in 1982. there would be no similar attitude towards Rockall, by any Brit that isn't a show-gloating politician. but i can absolutely assure you that the Falklands are not a hot topic of discussion in everyday life. the Falkland Islanders are not there to be tossed around, or talked about like they are some sort of economic asset, and not people with feelings and opinions of their own. everyone is sick to the back teeth of this entire debacle.

a compromise needs to be made - the Falkland Islands remain British by popular vote, and Argentina has access to the waters around the islands, as MalaMan suggested. but both are being so stubborn and pigheaded, it appears there will never be a resolution.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The Falklands are not going to be Argentinian in the foreseeable future. The British people and British government will not stand by and have our people's rights and freedom crushed under the boot of an invading army and especially that of a country with a well established reputation for torturing and murdering their own people.

But, if you are up for a fight then so be it. We have more troops on the islands than last time supported by fast fighter jets and our ships are much more powerful than they were in 1982. Also our submarines now have cruise missiles which can destroy your air-bases from afar (we will save a couple of missiles for Kirchner).
These type of comments on 21 century scares me...

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
to be honest, any stubborn nationalism is entirely derived from the war in 1982. there would be no similar attitude towards Rockall, by any Brit that isn't a show-gloating politician. but i can absolutely assure you that the Falklands are not a hot topic of discussion in everyday life. the Falkland Islanders are not there to be tossed around, or talked about like they are some sort of economic asset, and not people with feelings and opinions of their own. everyone is sick to the back teeth of this entire debacle.

a compromise needs to be made - the Falkland Islands remain British by popular vote, and Argentina has access to the waters around the islands, as MalaMan suggested. but both are being so stubborn and pigheaded, it appears there will never be a resolution.
I agree. You show a more civilized and our century mentality.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Why does a compromise need to be made? The Falklands do not belong to Argentina and the people who live there do not want to be Argentinian. That should be the end of it.

If the Argentinians want access to resources around the Falklands let them start by publicly renouncing their claim.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
These type og comments on 21 century scares me...
You are the ones doing the saber rattling, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or