U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
kyh

384 posts, read 1,017,609 times

Advertisements

Singapore for a city with over a million people. Everything goes by law and order, so you would expect every driver to abide by the traffic rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM

66 posts, read 181,052 times
Sweden- Quiet roads, on the whole a gentle relaxed driving public, good signage, great road quality, cars are mainly well maintained safe and modern, well designed city and town road network. Only problem is to watch out for elks!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 AM

5,057 posts, read 5,542,996 times
Not the United States. Too many accidents / traffic-related deaths. Link. I also think the average driver is less skilled compared to someone from Western Europe.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,645,946 times
I would say the uk. People here in northern ireland specifically drive far too slow. Fed up of old grannies coming on the road and driving at 50mph, if you are going to do that speed you may aswell get a bus.

I would actually say that the usa is scary. I for one would have a heartatake if i had to drive in nyc.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,230,359 times
For me it's the Netherlands without a doubt. I'm a bit insecure when I'm in a car so I like that there are clear guidelines everywhere (on the side of the road). I assume this must be pleasant for tourists who are not familiar with driving here as well. There are speed cameras everywhere (and speeding tickets are very expensive) so people generally stick to the speed limit.

When I was living in Belgium (Wallonia) there were signs everywhere on the side of the road detailing how many people were killed in traffic accidents the previous year, it was part of a campaign to reduce the very high number of traffic accidents in Belgium (or at least Wallonia). That wasn't very comforting to me

Last edited by LindavG; 01-04-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM

8,079 posts, read 6,258,023 times
From the countries I've driven in, I'd say the UK. More specifically, England and Wales. For some reason the Scottish had a more "latin" way of driving when I was there. Getting off the ferry at Dover is a pleasant experience, virtually everyone sticks to the limit and respects the safety distances. I'd say tailgating is a major problem on French roads.
Netherlands is a pleasure too and the infrastructure is the best I know. Germany is quite civilized, but in my experience the driving style is more aggressive compared to the countries above. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I was living in the hometown of Mercedes and Porsche?
One thing I like about Netherlands and Germany is that there aren't nearly as many roundabouts as in the UK and France. On a whole, there is less traffic calming infrastructure in Germany, which makes for a smoother ride.
Didn't drive there, but the SW USA (even LA) felt very polite, great thing is that honking noises are as rare as hen's teeth.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM

250 posts, read 422,861 times
I've never understood the trouble some people from abroad have with roundabouts in the UK. All it takes is a bit of practice, timing, spatial awareness and confidence.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM

8,079 posts, read 6,258,023 times
It's not that I don't know how to drive in roundabouts. Living in France, I've earned the title of roundabout expert.
I just prefer traffic lights, as they they make the ride smoother (when properly synchronized, that is). Going straight, since one has to respect the keep right (or keep left in the UK) rule, it makes for uncomfortable swerving and compels you to slow down to 10-20 mph depending on the roundabout geometry. On the other hand, on a main road with properly synchronized traffic lights, you only have to decelerate to about 40-30 mph in case it suddenly turns red. I've driven through roads with maybe 20 lights without having to stop once in Germany.
I don't mind roundabouts when they serve a purpose, but in France they put them on heavily-trafficked intersections where lights would be more efficient, or at intersections between main roads and very small streets/roads, only for traffic calming purposes. Heck, they even put them in the middle of nowhere nowadays and barely seem to maintain them. As for the UK, when you see roundabouts serving as motorway interchanges, you know that there are too many of them.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,467,978 times
Yes, there are a lot of roundabouts here - there are at least 6 alone near to where I live.

Leeds - Google Maps
Leeds - Google Maps
Leeds - Google Maps
Leeds - Google Maps
Leeds - Google Maps
Leeds - Google Maps

PS - thanks Rozenn, Google is in French now.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,291,548 times
Australia is really easy to drive in but road rage and hoons can be scary lol. Also most highway are only 2 lanes so lose concentration for one second and BAM you could just end up in a head on collision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or