U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 AM

20,597 posts, read 25,654,327 times

Advertisements

In this era of globalization, almost all of the places where we live are seeing more and more newcomers from distant places. I was wondering what these people are telling you about your home? About its weather, people, economic opportunities, affordability, lifestyle, safety, etc.?

And what are there differences in opinions between newcomers according to their country of origin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM

6,770 posts, read 7,494,561 times
too much rain

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,794,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
too much rain
A former coworker from SF who's from Kilkenny just moved here to LA last week; married an American gal... that was one of his compaints. Don't get too much of that out here.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM

20,597 posts, read 25,654,327 times
Immigrants to Canada

Weather: most complain about the cold winters but it does not appear to be a major factor in wanting to leave the country for somewhere else. People from tropical climates find the weather the hardest to deal with but people from more temperature places in Europe for example (think Italy) also find it difficult. People from more northern parts of Europe seem fairly OK with the climate and this is not only those from similarly cold places like Russia or Scandinavia, but also from places that tend to have milder winters than most of Canada like Germany and the Netherlands. People from the UK tend to find the winters tough but on the other hand look favourably upon the warmer and sunnier summers that Canada offers when compared to their country of origin. Most Americans find Canada very cold (except maybe for Minnesotans), even those from coldish northeastern cities like New York and Boston.

Safety: Everyone I have ever spoken to finds Canada at least as safe if not safer than the place they came from. This includes people from other western developed countries.

Affordability: Immigrants who come from any rich country (except for the US) find Canada very affordable in general and report that you can get a lot more *stuff* (house, car, restaurant dining, other products, etc.) for an equivalent salary in Canada. Americans generally find almost everything more expensive in Canada than back home. People from Europe generally find it very affordable except for certain products (often from back home) - for example French people living in Quebec find wine to be very expensive here.

Economic opportunity/Jobs: Immigrants to Canada often complain that it is difficult to get a job in one's field without "Canadian experience". Once they get in the door they fare reasonably well. A lot will tell you in private that they think their chances of getting ahead would be a lot better in the US, and this the main factor (as opposed to climate) that drives the departure of a certain percentage of immigrants to Canada for the US.

People: Most Europeans tend to find Canadians to be a bit less cultured and classy than the people back home, but also friendlier, more down to earth and courteous. Latin Americans find Canadians to be nice and pleasant but a bit boring and colourless. Americans tend to think Canadians are polite and respectful, but not sufficiently outgoing and talkative, and perhaps even not as friendly as they could be.
People from the Middle East often worry about the ambient moral values of Canadian society and how this could impact their children who grow up here.

Immigrants to Canada look harshly upon the class of native-born Canadians who have little get up and go and live on social assistance. I live in Quebec and the local French expression "les BS" is one of the first colloquialisms that newcomers seem to learn here. BC comes from "Bien-être Social", and is analogous to "welfare bums" or being "on the dole" in other countries.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM

15,672 posts, read 18,227,608 times
The Washington, D.C. area has immigrants from all over the world. The vast majority of those I've come in contact with basically have a favorable opinion of this metro area because of its job opportunities, relative economic stability, good schools and universities and plentiful activities.

The only complaints I usually hear about have to do with the high cost of living. But even those complaints tend to decrease over time.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM

770 posts, read 707,022 times
The Eastern Europeans seem to think British people are much happier than Polish people. According to them everyone in Poland is miserable. They also dislike British summer weather.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
Dont know.

Dont really speak to the migrants as i dont really have any need to and there arent really that many here. That subject never comes up.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,996,201 times
Its safe, clean, friendly people, everything is big and the weather is very extreme.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM

770 posts, read 707,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its safe, clean, friendly people, everything is big and the weather is very extreme.
M I N N E S O T A is pretty much the coldest place on earth. Pretty much.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,367,833 times
I am interested to see what immigrants are saying in certain places in Canada, Australia, UK, France. Also, maybe Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, Brazil, Argentina, and Switzerland. Those are the other best countries in the World for immigrants that can be good and inviting outside of the USA, especially the first 4 countries I said.

I’ll say this for the 2 places I lived in up to now:

What Immigrants are saying for Seattle: High quality of life, Balance of Urban and Nature, Surprisingly Exciting for some Urban Amenities/Cultural Events/Entertainment Options it Offers, Nice Cost of Living/Affordability relative to Salary Opportunities.

The weather is kind of mediocre/bland and not so good/kind of sucks, but at least it gets Mediterranean Summers Some Years, Mostly Mild/Sometimes Decent 4 seasons weather, and the large amount of qualities/good characteristics about Seattle Pacific Northwest make it worthwhile and easy to forget about the weather to focus on other activities/topics.

What Immigrants are saying for New York City: Very Exciting for someone looking for a very Urban Place, One of the Best Places for Immigrants, but that is true for plenty of other places in the World too. A lot of Urban Amenities/Cultural Events/Entertainment Options. Very Diverse.

The cost of living can be too expensive, especially for monthly rent/real estate, Too Crowded/Fast Paced/Expensive, Not Enough Nature Scenery for people that are looking for more nature scenery. The weather can be extreme. However, a lot of people actually like 4 seasons weather. For some people, NYC can sometimes be difficult to be easily content in when a lot is going on in surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or