U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,578,689 times

Advertisements

Never. We are not asian we are western. That means that we dont do their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,578,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
You mean you don't listen to KPOP or watch Korean movies on netflix? Where have you been.....
NO actually i dont. What on earth is KPOP? And before you say i dont know because its on netflix. We have netflix here and i have the app on my iphone and i have yet to see KPOP being mentioned anywhere.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
Um ...

Did you not know that Gangam style was done by PSY, a Korean guy... and has basically made it so he doesn't have to work the rest of his life it was so popular like, the world over ...

And anime and manga came from Japan ...

Sushi, ramen, and quite a lot of our modern electronics and culture started in Japan (though bewilderingly and perhaps thankfully for our competitiveness they fell short in software).

And these are just the modern incarnations of their influence on our culture. Porcelain china, fireworks and gunpowder, and the concept of paper money came from China. Facial tissue, silken works, and other things came from Japan. And these have been around for hundreds of years.

So, at any rate I'd argue their impact on our culture modern and ancient is and always has been quite strong.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM

261 posts, read 424,862 times
food and cartoons yes. As far as over all entertainment--especially music....Never. I just never see it. I think music is generally ran by what people consider to be 'swag' or whats hip/cool and black people seem to have that in spades. And white people have never not seen the top of the charts and you throw in that Latin mix. Asia doesnt need to be in the Western market to do well. They seem to play to a particular audience that I do not believe translates well over here.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Asian pop culture is already common among the younger generation of the west (espicially canada and america). Look at pokemon, naruto, toonami and the thousands of new asian bands rising throughout the world. I think with large immigration along with the growth of asian countries, soon asia be a common source of pop culture. India even have a foot in the door.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
NO actually i dont. What on earth is KPOP? And before you say i dont know because its on netflix. We have netflix here and i have the app on my iphone and i have yet to see KPOP being mentioned anywhere.
KPOP is korean pop music. PSY's gannam style is the greatest example of how KPOP has influenced the west

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I've enjoyed watching many Chinese, Korean, and Japanese flicks. However, their pop music is awful. You have to dig to find good music these days, and it's hard enough finding good domestic stuff.
I have to agree, most of the pop music seems to be pretty unoriginal or music from 10 years ago re-packaged in cutesy Anime-esque style.

Asian culture - from food, movies, music.etc is definitely getting big in the west though.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Never. We are not asian we are western. That means that we dont do their culture.
You may not but many do. Indeed, one could say Westerners have been influenced by Asian culture for centuries now.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 AM

261 posts, read 424,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
KPOP is korean pop music. PSY's gannam style is the greatest example of how KPOP has influenced the west
I would hardly say he influenced much of anything if anything it seemed more like he was heavily influenced by the west--heavily. When did they begin to 'rap' in the east--dance, dress in such fashions. The song in general was a generic house sample that was thrown around in the clubs a year or two ago mixed and sampled by many including LAMFO (Talentless group). Im not against any of it--just saying.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I would hardly say he influenced much of anything if anything it seemed more like he was heavily influenced by the west--heavily. When did they begin to 'rap' in the east--dance, dress in such fashions. The song in general was a generic house sample that was thrown around in the clubs a year or two ago mixed and sampled by many including LAMFO (Talentless group). Im not against any of it--just saying.
PSY studied at Berklee College of Music in Boston. The backbeat to Gangnam Style (which I'm not too much of a snob to admit I do, indeed, like ) immediately reminded me of legendary Italian DJ Benny Benassi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5bYDhZBFLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVlH1Mx194

And yeah... LMFAO sucks on an amazing, exponential level. Over the summer, my 16-y/o nephew came to visit and wanted to play some of his music while we were driving around. What comes on? LMFAO. I vetoed that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or