U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,990,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
lol love it, don't like any positive things coming from the USA, always gotta bring up negative things but ignore the positive.

These anti-American people are cute.
The pro-American people are just as cute. It's either feast or famine. The truth is somewhere in between the two extremes but then we are a nation of extremes and extremists. One thing no one can argue with... we are just about the luckiest nation on the planet and the luckiest empire in the history of the world. We have had no foreign troops on our soil for 201 years, only one major conflict in the country 1860-65 and during the Second World War while everyone lost literally millions of their civilian population we didn't even lose 100 people. We may have saved Europe's bacon but they help us keep out intact. Thanks Allies. I think we might still owe you one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The original article is here: International: The lottery of life | The Economist

And the title of this thread is still: Best countries to be born (your thoughts on this figure)

Rich
Its always cold or mountainous areas that seem to have the best quality of life, (upper midwest usa, canada, nordic countries)

If i had to be born somewhere else it would be Norway for the culture and quality of life.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Its always cold or mountainous areas that seem to have the best quality of life, (upper midwest usa, canada, nordic countries)

If i had to be born somewhere else it would be Norway for the culture and quality of life.
Agree if i could be born anywhere i would be born in Norway or maybe Sweden.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM

558 posts, read 531,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Bull.

Read this:

Why more Americans don't travel abroad - CNN

Most Americans do not travel abroad

and why I think we need to travel more:
To Make America Great Again, We Need to Leave the Country - Elliot Gerson - The Atlantic

From the article:

When Americans travel abroad, they are often surprised at how well other countries do the things we used to think America does best. In fact, one reason so many American businesses still lead the world is because they benchmark the competition and emulate best practices. But suggest to an American politician that we should try to learn from other countries, and he will look at you like you are from Mars. It is somehow unpatriotic even to raise such comparisons.
But enough Americans travel to make the US the 2nd most traveled in the world, therefore your previous statement was incorrect.

Also, supposedly Americans constantly annoy locals in Europe and other places with "ugly Americanisms", but how is that true if we then don't travel enough in the first place? You have to make up your mind. Are we annoying tourist or never leaving the country hicks?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't because Norway has a monarchy, has little world influence culturally or politically, lacks a culture of innovation and great achievement, and doesn't have diverse people, weather, or land. Not to mention the small population.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I wouldn't because Norway has a monarchy,
I don't know what its like to live in a country with a monarchy

Quote:
has little world influence culturally or politically, lacks a culture of innovation and great achievement,
They have some of the best winter athletes, not that it affects life in Norway in any way.

Quote:
and doesn't have diverse people, weather, or land.
You have the rest of Europe just to the south

Quote:
Not to mention the small population.
Humans are stupid anyways

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
But enough Americans travel to make the US the 2nd most traveled in the world, therefore your previous statement was incorrect.

Also, supposedly Americans constantly annoy locals in Europe and other places with "ugly Americanisms", but how is that true if we then don't travel enough in the first place? You have to make up your mind. Are we annoying tourist or never leaving the country hicks?
The figures on US passports is all over the map betwen 3% and 39% but we are a great nation at manipulating statistics to fit our needs. The most reliable figures I could find were from Travel.State. Gov which says that in 2012, a little more than 13 million passports (that includes passport cards that allow travel to Mexico, Canada and some areas of the carribean, about 1.3 million) were issued and renewed. Thats about 4%. The best figure is about 20 to 25% of Americans have passports but one has to remember that a fair amount of those passports are issued to military personell and their families being deployed to US facilities overseas. Anyone leaving the country military or civilian must have a valid passport upon exit and entrance to the country.

As far as the US being the 2nd most traveled country in the world, that it true but that means it is the 2 most visited country in the world not that we are seconf in travel neither by percent or by actual numbers.
Passport Statistics

Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know what its like to live in a country with a monarchy

They have some of the best winter athletes, not that it affects life in Norway in any way.

You have the rest of Europe just to the south

Humans are stupid anyways
Monarchy goes against democratic values because the monarch is unelected and holds office for an unlimited period.

I think humans are interesting and I like living around people from all walks of life.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The figures on US passports is all over the map betwen 3% and 39% but we are a great nation at manipulating statistics to fit our needs. The most reliable figures I could find were from Travel.State. Gov which says that in 2012, a little more than 13 million passports (that includes passport cards that allow travel to Mexico, Canada and some areas of the carribean, about 1.3 million) were issued and renewed. Thats about 4%. The best figure is about 20 to 25% of Americans have passports but one has to remember that a fair amount of those passports are issued to military personell and their families being deployed to US facilities overseas. Anyone leaving the country military or civilian must have a valid passport upon exit and entrance to the country.

As far as the US being the 2nd most traveled country in the world, that it true but that means it is the 2 most visited country in the world not that we are seconf in travel neither by percent or by actual numbers.
Passport Statistics
39% of Americans have a passport.

How Many Americans Have A Passport? - The Expeditioner Travel Magazine - The Expeditioner Travel Magazine

And American citizens travel the 2-3rd most.

What Country Travels The Most? The Top 10 - The Expeditioner Travel Magazine - The Expeditioner Travel Magazine

Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Sorry but your sources aren't as reliable as the State Department. Like I said about facts and figures especially in the private sector. Remember Goldman and Sachs or Lehman Brothers or madoff. Travel mags don't cut it and neither does Lonely Planet. Advertising is propaganda and it's what makes money. I think these people just want to look good and the DOS doesn't have to look good because they are not going out of business even if they are in the red in the next quarter. If you want to believe Priceline and the line that's your choice but not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or