U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM

558 posts, read 531,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
How is Britain ranked below the united states??? The poverty in the states is horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
The last time I checked, Britain has about the same percent of poverty as the u.s.
Because America is the focal point of world media, entertainment, and culture, its global perception and ranking in this study has been skewed. P London's comment is a good example of how some people from other countries have an exaggerated view of America that they've gotten from movies and accepted as fact. Furthermore, the US is such an open country that we air out our dirty laundry more than just about every country on that list. If there were the same number of movies, TV, documentaries, books, etc that covered Switzerland's problems as much as the US, their ranking would surely have dropped as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,863,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Because the risk of terrorism is higher than other countries mentioned. Many people, especially in the Middle East, hate USA and its people. It's a good place to live, but not the best.
True crime here isnt bad at all its just we have the most reported crime because of so many police officers Nd because we have 300 million people. India has a billion people and they have way more crime its just not reported as much as america and the uk

Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM

3,357 posts, read 5,185,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Because America is the focal point of world media, entertainment, and culture,its global perception and ranking in this study has been skewed. P London's comment is a good example of how some people from other countries have an exaggerated view of America that they've gotten from movies and accepted as fact. Furthermore, the US is such an open country that we air out our dirty laundry more than just about every country on that list. If there were the same number of movies, TV, documentaries, books, etc that covered Switzerland's problems as much as the US, their ranking would surely have dropped as well.
I can guarentee you that any organisation even with the smallest amount of credibility would totally ignore the "Global Perception" of countries when preparing such reports.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM

16 posts, read 44,307 times
Why is Ecuador ranked SO low? It's a beautiful country with good food and affordable health care and education.. It's also a more equal society than neighboring Peru and Colombia, and Ecuadoreans also have a higher life expectancy than their two neighbors.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,648,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almirante De Leon View Post
Why is Ecuador ranked SO low? It's a beautiful country with good food and affordable health care and education.. It's also a more equal society than neighboring Peru and Colombia, and Ecuadoreans also have a higher life expectancy than their two neighbors.
In fact, I can tell you that, here in Brazil, Ecuador is the least commented country of South America, after Guyana and Suriname. What I really know is that the president Rafael Correa has ties to the bolivarianism. Perhaps this will decrease the perception of life quality in Ecuador, but I may be wrong...

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 01-24-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM

6,717 posts, read 11,179,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
With the US you have some imbalance. A kid who is born rich here will enjoy more wealth than kids from any other developed countries while a kid born poor here will be way worse off than a poor kid in any other developed countries. So it is basically a coin flip.

While in Western European countries you won't suffer through terrible poverty but you won't have the chance to climb to the top of the mountain and enjoy a lot of success either.
Step 1: Be born in an EU country, and enjoy their social benefits.
Step 2: Get a job at a US corporation and come to work in the US
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Return to your home country after you've climbed to the top of the mountain.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,370,069 times
The best countries in the world to be born into and have a life in is about universal standards for everyone and can also be about individual preferences that sometimes vary between what each person is looking for.

The economist intelligence unit survey used up to 11 comprehensive specific indicators to determine what they believe are the best and worst countries for that:
Health standards, Subjective Quality of Life and Life Satisfaction surveys, political freedoms, economic opportunity, economic forecasts up to the year 2030, job security, income equality, climate, crime rate/safety, etc.

That survey also has a brief 1 sentence summary that encompasses this entire important topic: “What countries will provide the best opportunities for a healthy, safe, and prosperous life in the years ahead.”

I agree with most of the 11 standards that they used. However, I would also add Sociological Cultural environment, Entertainment Options/Things to do, Scenery, and Personal/International Opinions for each country.

For how they ranked the countries in the world, there is a lot of countries I agree and don’t agree with and I would overall significantly rearrange most of the ranks.

Here is what I view to be the top 25 best countries in the World to be born into and have a life in based on all of this and my thoughts on this figure in exact order:
France, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, USA, Taiwan, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Belgium, Germany, UK, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Czech Republic, Thailand, South Korea, Vietnam, China.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-24-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,199,762 times
Why the US of course!

US#1

Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almirante De Leon View Post
Yes I thought so too. I thought Ecuador was better off than many other S.American countries. It's blessed with great natural beauty.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,370,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Why the US of course!

US#1
I would say overall for this topic France is #1, Switzerland #2, Austria #3, Sweden #4, and USA #5 and then these other countries making the top 20 after that: 6.Taiwan, 7. Netherlands, 8. Canada, 9. Australia, 10. Norway, 11. Denmark, 12. Japan, 13. Singapore, 14. Hong Kong, 15. Belgium, 16. Germany, 17. UK, 18. Italy, 19 . Spain 20. Argentina.

The USA does well for this topic and definitely in the top 10, probably in the top 5, but not quite #1, as some other countries can compete, and plenty of countries can be good, vibrant, stable places to be born into and have a life in for plenty of reasons.

That is when looking at all comprehensive specific indicators to determine the best and worst countries to be born into and have a life in.

These are most of the indicators related to that: Health Standards, Subjective Quality of Life and Life Satisfaction Surveys, Political Freedoms, Economic Opportunity, Economic forecasts up to the year 2030, Job Security, Income Equality, Percentage of Population that is High income/Middle class/Low income poverty, Leisure/Vacation Time Away from School/Work, Sociological Cultural Environment, Entertainment Options/Things to do, Scenery, Personal/International Opinions of a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or