U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Diverse Countries in the World(in terms of people)
Brazil 13 12.38%
South Africa 1 0.95%
Venezuala 1 0.95%
United States of America 66 62.86%
United Kingdom 8 7.62%
France 1 0.95%
Netherlands 0 0%
Canada 14 13.33%
Australia 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 AM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be choosing the new world countries, but the big multi-ethnic old world countries with hundreds of geographically and lingusitically and religiously distinct peoples all living under one government. It seems to me that that makes them more diverse.

So:

India, with 18 official languages and hundreds of non-official tongues indigenous to the place, full of ancient tribes and religious diversity as can not be belived. A land of feudal states and gleaming skyscrapers, hilltop monasteries and high tech parks.

Indonesia and it's thousands of islands and their many peoples count to.

Finally, who can argue with Papua New Guinea? The anthropolgist's treasure trove is an enless rainforest of ancient and independent tribes. Thousands of distinct and unique peoples and languages exist here in this country, many even uncontacted or barely contacted by the outside world.

Finally, is we're talking race here, we've gotta go with places like Mauritius and Suriname, places that do not have a majority racial group, where Blacks, East Asians, Indians, and Whites live together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,684,001 times
Malaysia and the Philippines should be in the poll.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM

350 posts, read 567,081 times
Can't forget Singapore and Trinidad and Tobago when it comes to racial diversity

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 AM

350 posts, read 567,081 times
Overall I'd say India is the most diverse country on earth except for probably religious diversity

Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM

950 posts, read 1,455,968 times
US is the least homogeneous country in the world. Put it that way

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

92 posts, read 160,404 times
Yes, India is diverse but I think the U.S. tops everyone on earth with regards to diversity. Does India have a significant population of Mexicans? The Mexican decent Americans have significant influence in American culture ... and so are the Indian-Americans thus adding more mix into the U.S. diversity. Are there Native Americans (which number in different tribes, languages and culture) in India? Eskimo's in India? Pacific Islanders? Kenyans? Cubans? Polish? Hungarians? Vietnamese? Australians?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor21 View Post
Yes, India is diverse but I think the U.S. tops everyone on earth with regards to diversity. Does India have a significant population of Mexicans? The Mexican decent Americans have significant influence in American culture ... and so are the Indian-Americans thus adding more mix into the U.S. diversity. Are there Native Americans (which number in different tribes, languages and culture) in India? Eskimo's in India? Pacific Islanders? Kenyans? Cubans? Polish? Hungarians? Vietnamese? Australians?
Yep, not to say that other countries in the world aren't diverse (they are), but I bet at least 90% of the countries of the world are covered in the US in some way. There are people who moved here for a "better life", there's people who moved here to go to grad school, there's people who moved here because they got a job here, etc.

There's random facts about the US that most people don't even know. For example, did you know Chicago area has the second most Polish people of any city in the world after Warsaw? Yes..that means Chicago has more Polish people than Krakow, Lodz, Wroclaw, etc and it's not even in Poland! Most peoples here's ancestors came to the country not that long ago. My mom's side came here in the 1930s for example. Not even 100 years. I have tons of friends who are either from other countries or they're first generation in US. Tons of people.

I think people who have never been to some of the big cities here in the US would be even more surprised at how diverse it can be.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM

10,292 posts, read 11,684,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
did you know Chicago area has the second most Polish people of any city in the world after Warsaw? Yes..that means Chicago has more Polish people than Krakow, Lodz, Wroclaw, etc and it's not even in Poland! Most peoples here's ancestors came to the country not that long ago. My mom's side came here in the 1930s for example. Not even 100 years. I have tons of friends who are either from other countries or they're first generation in US. Tons of people.

I think people who have never been to some of the big cities here in the US would be even more surprised at how diverse it can be.
Chicago not has the 2nd largest Polish population of any city in the world!
People with Polish ancestors / Polish people it's not the same thing.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Chicago not has the 2nd largest Polish population of any city in the world!
People with Polish ancestors / Polish people it's not the same thing.
Sorry, I meant the metro area. The city itself before the 1930s did though. Many of the people who were born in America in Chicago now had ancestors who came here around, or less than, 100 years ago. That's the hilarious thing though. Yes, culturally not everyone is the same (although you know as well as I know that there are many different types of ethnicities that maintain close ties with the homeland no matter where they are. Poland is one of them for a lot of people). Blood wise, many are just as Polish as anyone from Poland.

There are many, many Polish people in Chicago. MANY, and no sorry, but there's actually a lot who are actually from Poland. I used to work with a handful of them. Moved to the US sometime in the 80s or 90s. If we're talking about 1st polish ancestry, there's about 215,000 last check in the city itself, which would put it as the 15th largest city in Poland. That's not counting the 7 million people who reside in the suburbs. According to some reports, there's over 1.1 million people of Polish decent in the Chicago MSA.

Quote:
In addition, Polish Americans in Chicago have a recent history of family members who came from Poland as many are first or second generation Poles as compared to the Irish Americans or Italian Americans who are third or fourth generation. Polish is the third largest speaking language in Chicago behind English and Spanish.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-06-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,545,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I want to know what are the most diverse countries in the world in terms of people and/or ethnicity. Tell me why that country is the most diverse in the comments below. I would like to mostly base it off on cities and metros rather then countryside and/or low populated areas in the countries listed. If the country is not listed in the poll click other and tell me the other below.
How about a "none of the above" option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or