Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Diverse Countries in the World(in terms of people)
Brazil 23 14.94%
South Africa 2 1.30%
Venezuala 1 0.65%
United States of America 87 56.49%
United Kingdom 14 9.09%
France 4 2.60%
Netherlands 1 0.65%
Canada 19 12.34%
Australia 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,181,167 times

Advertisements

I want to know what are the most diverse countries in the world in terms of people and/or ethnicity. Tell me why that country is the most diverse in the comments below. I would like to mostly base it off on cities and metros rather then countryside and/or low populated areas in the countries listed. If the country is not listed in the poll click other and tell me the other below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM

154 posts, read 430,983 times
United States

diversity in race
diversity in religion
diversity in thought
diversity in body types
and diversity in taste

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,878,613 times
United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Australia

That's the end of that.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times
The U.S. is the the most diverse country in the world. We have entire populations of the world's people.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
USA of course!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM

477 posts, read 798,725 times
USA will run away with this pole...no surprise

Canada is easily a close second, it's more diverse than most people think....
particularly it's bigger cities, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver
Minorities are almost the majority...it's mind blowing

USA is diverse but I don't quite get that same vibe, except maybe in NYC.

Difference is Canada's urban super diversity is quite recent (last 20 years or so)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 PM

769 posts, read 1,002,076 times
I would put the US as number 1, Brazil as #2, and Canada as #3.

I think that the US has the best all-around package, if you will, when it comes to diversity. Its white population is the most diverse of all the new world countries (people literally from any and every country in Europe). It doesn't really have one or two main nationalities that dominate the makeup of the white populations like in other new world countries such as Australia or Canada (i.e. Australia's white population is dominantly from the British Isles, and Canada's white population is still largely British Isles and French). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are the only ethnicities among people of European descent, but they are the majority for sure in these two particular countries. The US is more diversified here and doesn't have a group or two that really dominates like these other countries do. In addition, the US also has a massive black population derived both from the ancestors from the times of slavery, as well as from modern immigration, a massive Hispanic population (far from just being Mexicans, but tons and tons of people from Central America, the Caribbean, and South America too), and a substantial and ever-increasing Asian population (Asians have just overtaken Hispanics as the largest source of immigration to the USA as a matter of fact). The US is roughly 63% white as of 2010, a number that is lower than other comparable new world nations. The USA is also home to the city (NYC) with the most spoken languages on earth (numbering about 800 according to the NY Times), as well as many cities that are majority-minority or that have no racial majority. In the future too, as predicted by the 2010 US Census, the USA looks to add even more to it's overall diversity and will be by 2050, 45% white, 30% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 9% Asian (throw in the extra 2-3% for Hawaiian and Alaskan natives and Native Americans).

Brazil also has a wide variety of whites derived from many European nations (although not as many as the USA), and has the largest African population outside of Africa. It has a (small) Asian population, but it is almost entirely made up of people of Japanese decent. There isn't a whole lot of other Asian peoples there. I think Brazil is more mixed (although interracial marriages in the USA are at an all-time high (1 out of 7 I believe now) and are increasing drastically), but the USA is overall more diverse I think.

I would place Canada third, like I said. I believe the country is estimated to be around 80% or more white. Plus, as I stated above, that white population is still largely derived from the British Isles and France. Yes, Canada has a large born-oversees population, but that doesn't necessarily equal diverse. The large majority of these people immigrating to Canada are Asian (and come especially from China, HK, and India, etc.). The black and hispanic populations of Canada are extremely small compared to the ones in the USA. Thus, I don't feel that Canada is as well-rounded in its diversity as the USA is.

Another thing to remember about foreign-born populations is that different countries have different immigration systems and might only allow in a smaller % of people than other countries. Countries like Canada and Australia tend to be "easier" to immigrate to than the USA. The USA also has higher birthrates than both Canada and Australia and this, too, means that it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs a larger % of people to immigrate.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
USA by a good amount, but the others listed are good too.

Another to consider is Turkey. First of all, there are different types of Turks - Central Asian, Arabian, Eastern/Southern European, Persian, Assyrian, and Anatolian ones. They aren't necessarily foreign born, but their parents, grandparents, and/or great grandparents were not born in Anatolia per se. The Ottoman empire extended pretty far even partially into Austria (but only a very small amount).

There are also a good number of foreign born people there. Germans, Bulgarians, Azerbaijani, Greek, Romanian, Iranian, French, Serbian, etc. And while 98% of the population is "Muslim," you do have a lot who are atheist/agnostic, but also jews (mostly Sephardic) and christians (of different types).

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,878,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I would put the US as number 1, Brazil as #2, and Canada as #3.

I think that the US has the best all-around package, if you will, when it comes to diversity. Its white population is the most diverse of all the new world countries (people literally from any and every country in Europe). It doesn't really have one or two main nationalities that dominate the makeup of the white populations like in other new world countries such as Australia or Canada (i.e. Australia's white population is dominantly from the British Isles, and Canada's white population is still largely British Isles and French). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are the only ethnicities among people of European descent, but they are the majority for sure in these two particular countries. The US is more diversified here and doesn't have a group or two that really dominates like these other countries do. In addition, the US also has a massive black population derived both from the ancestors from the times of slavery, as well as from modern immigration, a massive Hispanic population (far from just being Mexicans, but tons and tons of people from Central America, the Caribbean, and South America too), and a substantial and ever-increasing Asian population (Asians have just overtaken Hispanics as the largest source of immigration to the USA as a matter of fact). The US is roughly 63% white as of 2010, a number that is lower than other comparable new world nations. The USA is also home to the city (NYC) with the most spoken languages on earth (numbering about 800 according to the NY Times), as well as many cities that are majority-minority or that have no racial majority. In the future too, as predicted by the 2010 US Census, the USA looks to add even more to it's overall diversity and will be by 2050, 45% white, 30% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 9% Asian (throw in the extra 2-3% for Hawaiian and Alaskan natives and Native Americans).

Another thing to remember about foreign-born populations is that different countries have different immigration systems and might only allow in a smaller % of people than other countries. Countries like Canada and Australia tend to be "easier" to immigrate to than the USA. The USA also has higher birthrates than both Canada and Australia and this, too, means that it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs a larger % of people to immigrate.
Nice post.

This part right here sums it up quite nicely.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM

363 posts, read 662,213 times
Canada and Brazil take my vote for 2nd and 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World