U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is your favorite?
Tokyo 19 29.69%
Atlanta 7 10.94%
London 40 62.50%
Seattle 14 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM

5,698 posts, read 9,206,397 times

Advertisements

That is actually a very close competition and almost a three way tie between London, Tokyo, and Seattle that I’ll obviously explain further to represent the day to day life and reality of these 3 cities.

I appreciate, respect, value all 3 of those cities and they have plenty to offer for people that live there and tourists.

London, and Tokyo are much larger, so they technically have more going on. However, Seattle is a big enough size and is certainly an underrated city internationally that might surprise some people for what Seattle can offer and really has some hidden treasure secrets about it that even surprised me when I got to know Seattle more.

London and Tokyo are of course impressive in their own ways too, but for long term day to day life it can just get so crowded, congested, loud, and fast paced. It can seem so competitive and sometimes tense. The cost of living in those 2 cities is so expensive for usually such small living space in plenty of homes.

Plenty of days, Seattle can just seem more easygoing, relaxing, with higher quality of life.

I enjoy urban scenery and nature scenery equally, and Seattle also offers more of a balance with that compared to London and Tokyo.

I also just feel so connected to the Pacific Northwest after living there for 1 year to 2 years, and that region of the world can be so enchanting to the extent where I plan to move back there as soon as the next month.

Seattle, London, and Tokyo are all superior compared to Atlanta for Culture, Scenery, and for almost everything imaginable, so out of those 4 cities, Atlanta is very distantly in last place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 AM

2,933 posts, read 7,760,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
That is actually a very close competition and almost a three way tie between London, Tokyo, and Seattle that Iíll obviously explain further to represent the day to day life and reality of these 3 cities.

I appreciate, respect, value all 3 of those cities and they have plenty to offer for people that live there and tourists.

London, and Tokyo are much larger, so they technically have more going on. However, Seattle is a big enough size and is certainly an underrated city internationally that might surprise some people for what Seattle can offer and really has some hidden treasure secrets about it that even surprised me when I got to know Seattle more.

London and Tokyo are of course impressive in their own ways too, but for long term day to day life it can just get so crowded, congested, loud, and fast paced. It can seem so competitive and sometimes tense. The cost of living in those 2 cities is so expensive for usually such small living space in plenty of homes.

Plenty of days, Seattle can just seem more easygoing, relaxing, with higher quality of life.

I enjoy urban scenery and nature scenery equally, and Seattle also offers more of a balance with that compared to London and Tokyo.

I also just feel so connected to the Pacific Northwest after living there for 1 year to 2 years, and that region of the world can be so enchanting to the extent where I plan to move back there as soon as the next month.

Seattle, London, and Tokyo are all superior compared to Atlanta for Culture, Scenery, and for almost everything imaginable, so out of those 4 cities, Atlanta is very distantly in last place.
Now I would say Seattle and Atlanta are on the same level for culture, and they are about the same size. Seattle of course is superior for scenery, but Atlanta is superior for the weather. If it wasn't for the weather, I would choose Seattle over Atlanta easily. The SeaTac Airport may not have as many direct flights as Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson, but there are plenty, and it is now more accessible from the city since they completed the Central Link line a few years ago.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM

163 posts, read 319,455 times
Tokyo> London> Atlanta> Seattle.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM

1,953 posts, read 1,801,105 times

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,937,840 times
London, with Tokyo second or maybe tied. How can you even put those other cities in the same category as London and Tokyo?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Now I would say Seattle and Atlanta are on the same level for culture, and they are about the same size. Seattle of course is superior for scenery, but Atlanta is superior for the weather. If it wasn't for the weather, I would choose Seattle over Atlanta easily. The SeaTac Airport may not have as many direct flights as Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson, but there are plenty, and it is now more accessible from the city since they completed the Central Link line a few years ago.
I agree with your preferences for Seattle, Tokyo, and London and like seeing this collection of cities being said together, especially since it is spontaneous and unpredictable compared to the usual city vs. city topics.

However. I just don’t see Atlanta on the same level as Seattle. Seattle Pacific Northwest Culture, People Scene, What the Area Offers is so different from Atlanta Georgia Southern Culture.

It can almost seem to be entirely different worlds between both regions.

However, I’ll briefly say there is variation in Southern culture such as Texas vs. Georgia, and I far prefer Texas over Georgia. Texas reigns supreme in the South and knows it is the King/Queen of the south. I'm saying this just to show I don't view all of the South the same way.

I look for so many other qualities before I consider weather. The weather related topics usually just does not matter to me anymore. However, Atlanta has some flaws in weather too.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM

2,933 posts, read 7,760,064 times
Quote:
I agree with your preferences for Seattle, Tokyo, and London and like seeing this collection of cities being said together, especially since it is spontaneous and unpredictable compared to the usual city vs. city topics.

However. I just donít see Atlanta on the same level as Seattle. Seattle Pacific Northwest Culture, People Scene, What the Area Offers is so different from Atlanta Georgia Southern Culture.

It can almost seem to be entirely different worlds between both regions.
But in that case Tokyo and London are also worlds apart from each other and not on the same level, since one is British/European culture and the other is East Asian culture. Now I'll admit that Seattle and Atlanta aren't on the level as the other two. New York City and Los Angeles would have been more appropriate to be grouped with the other two.

Quote:
I look for so many other qualities before I consider weather. The weather related topics usually just does not matter to me anymore. However, Atlanta has some flaws in weather too.
That's just a matter of personal preference. I like Atlanta's climate the best because it has four seasons and variations in weather, but the winters are mild with very little snowfall (I only wish it snowed more there). I don't mind the hot, humid summers and I love thunderstorms. Tokyo's climate is close, but the winters are longer with less unseasonably warm days, and I also didn't like the rainy season during the transition from spring to summer (a six week period from early June to mid July). Most people would think Southern California has the best climate, but I wasn't a big fan of it.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
That's just a matter of personal preference. I like Atlanta's climate the best because it has four seasons and variations in weather, but the winters are mild with very little snowfall (I only wish it snowed more there). I don't mind the hot, humid summers and I love thunderstorms. Tokyo's climate is close, but the winters are longer with less unseasonably warm days, and I also didn't like the rainy season during the transition from spring to summer (a six week period from early June to mid July). Most people would think Southern California has the best climate, but I wasn't a big fan of it.
None of these 4 cities have my ideal annual weather, but as I said before I look for a lot of other various qualities before I consider weather and weather does not matter to me most of the time when I am busy, focus on other topics, and activities in life.

I love Seattle, Tokyo, London, despite their annual weather.

Quote:
But in that case Tokyo and London are also worlds apart from each other and not on the same level, since one is British/European culture and the other is East Asian culture. Now I'll admit that Seattle and Atlanta aren't on the level as the other two. New York City and Los Angeles would have been more appropriate to be grouped with the other two.
Well, there is a difference between London vs. Tokyo and Seattle vs. Atlanta for Culture. I just don’t see Atlanta on the same level as the other 3 cities for a lot of reasons.

The population size of a city does not always matter. The cities of Phoenix, Jakarta, Karachi, Dhaka have a much larger population size, but they don’t offer more to visitors and the local population compared to Seattle.

Seattle is certainly underrated compared to Tokyo vs. London, and it is easy to see how some people would prefer Seattle compared to those 2 cities, and a lot of people that view them in a three way tie.

I actually like the collection of cities that was selected for this topic since it was spontaneous and unpredictable compared to the usual city vs. city topics while being appropriate enough at the same time.

What are your views for the other parts of this earlier post about Seattle vs. Tokyo vs. London. It seems you agree with some of it to have them as your all time favorite cities in the world:

Quote:
That is actually a very close competition and almost a three way tie between London, Tokyo, and Seattle that I’ll obviously explain further to represent the day to day life and reality of these 3 cities.

London, and Tokyo are much larger, so they technically have more going on. However, Seattle is a big enough size and is certainly an underrated city internationally that might surprise some people for what Seattle can offer and really has some hidden treasure secrets about it that even surprised me when I got to know Seattle more. That is for Favorite Neighborhoods, People Scene, Balance in Scenery and Activities, Independent Cafť Bars, Restaurants, Music Scene, Festivals, The most underrated unexpected nightclub in the world: Trinity Nightclub, Some Important Surprising Statistics that has Seattle in the top 5 in the USA, cost of living: average annual salaries: affordability ratio, Usually Peaceful Relaxing Energy, Plenty of Living Space.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM

2,985 posts, read 2,204,368 times
Okay, someone give me one reason Atlanta is worse than Seattle. I can agree that the two cities aren't on the same level as Tokyo and London, but at least Atlanta is known around the world.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,082,116 times
I like Seattle a lot. However; in terms of regional, national, and international importance--and even extended urban amenities--I don't see Seattle as existing on the same level as Atlanta, yet alone as being even remotely close to London and Tokyo.

An earlier poster used food as an analogy for these four cities. In that vein, I would suggest that London and Tokyo represent eight-course gourmet meals, while Atlanta and Seattle represent satisfying box lunches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World