U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:06 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,768,725 times

Advertisements

What is the relative importance, socially speaking, of dance in your country? Do people dance into adulthood, at family gatherings, etc.? Is going to nightclubs an important part of most adolescents' / young adults' lives? Is "dancing well" looked on as a favorable or indispensable trait? Is there a sex divide (e.g. females are expected to dance, but it's "unmanly" for males to dance, or it's perfect acceptable for men to dance with one another, but for a female to dance is looked down upon as immoral)?

I would say for working/middle-class white culture in Minnesota, the answer would be "no" to almost all of these. I suppose people dance in bars and at wedding receptions, but only after they've had a few drinks. Dance among males is often seen as "gay", while among females it is perfectly acceptable but not performed much. Dancing "well" is not an important social trait at all; there are a million things more important than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I would say for working/middle-class white culture in Minnesota, the answer would be "no" to almost all of these. I suppose people dance in bars and at wedding receptions, but only after they've had a few drinks. Dance among males is often seen as "gay", while among females it is perfectly acceptable but not performed much. Dancing "well" is not an important social trait at all; there are a million things more important than that.

I grew up in Minnesota, mostly, and I'd say this depends on where you are. I think it's true of a lot of people the older you get, but I think that also depending on the city you're in, it might not be seen that way. The younger people dance and what not, and I know there was no "you're gay!" when my friends and I would dance at any of the clubs or anything. In the smaller towns, yeah, but all over the US I'd say this is true, even in some of the most liberal states like California. It's just a culture thing. I personally love to dance, and I can't tell you how many women I've gotten because of it in actual cities. I don't do that in small towns though unless it's at a wedding or it's a college campus bar. I think a lot of younger people who don't have a problem with it realize it's a way to meet women and it's pretty true if you don't suck.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 AM

22,878 posts, read 64,927,852 times
Sweden has been infested with the danceband craze for the last 45 years.
They also have a younger audience nowadays, who sees it as an alternative to the club scene.
There are even youngsters forming new bands.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM

33,645 posts, read 51,869,674 times
There was a very similar thread made by OP:
Do people like dancing in your country?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM

22,878 posts, read 64,927,852 times
And a similar answer by me.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,648,866 times
It varies. I don't dance, and I neve had problems with this. I think that dancing is more important among teenagers.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 AM

261 posts, read 425,278 times
What is 'White Culture' ?

Over all I think something is missing. The main factors--age and genre of music. If you like house music and your out--than chances are you WILL dance. This is why i ask 'what is white culture' because when it comes to dancing im positive this is more so an individual thing. However, amongst males it is seen as gay if you are not in a 'poser/normal' crowed. But if you are into the house/electro groups then dancing is pretty much mandatory.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,199,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What is the relative importance, socially speaking, of dance in your country? Do people dance into adulthood, at family gatherings, etc.? Is going to nightclubs an important part of most adolescents' / young adults' lives? Is "dancing well" looked on as a favorable or indispensable trait? Is there a sex divide (e.g. females are expected to dance, but it's "unmanly" for males to dance, or it's perfect acceptable for men to dance with one another, but for a female to dance is looked down upon as immoral)?

On what planet? Guess you learn something everyday.

Dancing isn't a huge thing in Aussie culture either, and I guess a lot of 'blokes' are more into head banging than actually dancing. I imagine it's a lot more important as a social activity in a country like Argentina or Cuba.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,798,753 times
Dancing is definitely a popular social activity in many parts of the US.

For my part? I don't like dancing. It's never come naturally to me, I feel awkward doing it, and it brings me absolutely no joy or happiness, just frustration and embarassment - even though I've been told that I'm a "decent" dancer. I'm a musician, so I have the rythm down, and I can transfer that to my body. I like watching other people, who are good at it, dance... but... it takes a lot to get me on the floor!

This can be a hinderance depending on who you're hanging out with, but most people in the US seem to understand that some people just don't like it and no one really chastises you for it.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On what planet? Guess you learn something everyday.

Dancing isn't a huge thing in Aussie culture either, and I guess a lot of 'blokes' are more into head banging than actually dancing. I imagine it's a lot more important as a social activity in a country like Argentina or Cuba.
In some rural parts of the US, it's seen as that. It's kind of like how I remember growing up, if you were a guy and sang, you were seen as gay. Then as people grew older they got smarter and realized women love a guy who can sing well.

Mostly people are sheltered in some of the rural parts of the US. I performed some gospel concerts back in the day with some choirs from the south..but in the midwest. Yeah, even to clap to the beat, the people were afraid to do it and it took us encouraging them for them to break out of their shell (and even then they were awkward doing it, but that's another story).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or