U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 6,262,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
That nb you listed it outside Paris city and its a suburb, right? Is there any "dangerous" nb in Paris city?
When i was there i was in rue de strasbourg 17 (a hotel there), do u know where that is? Its half block from the metro stop strasbourg-st denis. Anyways, the nb was of course beautiful (as all Paris is), but it had a weird vibe, if you came back late at night (i never returned after 12:30 am anyway) some guys will tell you things in weird languages and there were some prostitutes. A taxi-driver that picked us up there told us it was considered a "dangerous" nb, what do u think? was it?
The northern 19th arrondissement has a bad reputation, like these areas:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Avenue...26.67,,0,-1.62
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Avenue...3.83,,0,-13.29
But I must say I feel safe there during the day.

I'm not familiar with the Strasbourg-Saint-Denis area at night, but during the day I never had a problem. At Château-Rouge, the next station to the north, there are lots of illegal African-born street vendors. As for the hookers, rue Saint-Denis, not far from your hotel, is notorious for its prostitutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,377,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
6) Have you ever been robbed?
7) Have people you know been robbed?
8) How safe would you say your city is?
Perth, Australia (population 1.8 million)

1. Generally I do think it's safe even though the streets are usually deserted at this time. Often suburban streets are also quite dark which might make a lot of people, especially women feel uncomfortable though. The areas I feel least safe at this time are actually the nightlife districts which are the most crowded areas.

2. I live about 4km from the CBD so I could live without a car as public transport is good in this area. The problem is that this is a low density city so it's difficult enough to quickly and easily visit a friend in an outer suburb in a car let alone by public transport, distances between shops and services are often catered to the needs of car drivers alone as well. So while I could get by with a car it would be much more inconvenient if I had to solely rely on PT.

3. It is safe, but often the streets are dark and quiet which could lead to a heightened perception of danger.

4. I could not get back home by PT in the early hours of the morning. The buses here all finish around midnight. Trains operate an hourly service Friday/Saturday night until 4am though many people don't live close to a station.

5. Supermarkets open until 8-10pm. Petrol stations open 24 hours where you can buy basic goods and snacks. Restaurants usually close by 11pm in most areas. Specialty stores and services usually close by 6pm.

6. No.

7. No-one I know has been pickpocketed or robbed, though things like burglary are quite common.

8. Overall it is safe with little violent crime.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM

6,615 posts, read 11,670,382 times
I live near Baltimore, Maryland in the suburbs. In the suburbs I feel safe at night in MOST places. The not so safe places are parts where a lot of people from the city have moved to. NOw in the city of Baltimore itself

- I do not feel safe taking any kind of public transportation any time of day

Best MTA Transit Bus Fight - Baltimore,Md. Bus # 10 ( Live Action ) - YouTube

MTA: Bus Beating Not Hate Crime - YouTube

People like these are why many Americans are against the expansion of mass transit in the US. Do you want such people to be able to access your neighborhood more easily?!?!?

I lived downtown in a gated apartment building that was very expensive. There has been an armed robbery on all 4 street corners around it. The parking garage I parked in was robbed at gunpoint and the cashier was shot by robbers trying to get the cash from there.

I do not feel comfortable parking my car anywhere at night outside of a "secure" garage, never on the street. I know people who have had their cars broken into over $5 t shirts from Walmart.

People have been shot and killed just sitting at home by stray bullets fired by gangbangers. I don't know what you mean by Buenos Aires being violent in the media of Argentina, but in Baltimore it is news if someone is NOT shot (at least injured) every day of the year. There were about 215 murders last year alone and that was considered low. There are typically between 250 and 300 murders a year. Many businesses in many parts of town close at 7 or 8 PM because of crime, many stores in the city have metal bars and bulletproof glass especially liquor stores and gas stations and most banks have security out front which you don't see in many American suburbs. Baltimore is a dangerous city even by US standards. Other very dangerous, terrible cities in the US include Philadelphia, Detroit, Newark NJ, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and some parts of Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,321,611 times
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?

I've walked around at all hours and nothing has happened to me. I actually think some suburban areas are more sketchy than the inner city and I'd avoid those.

You could but it'd be annoying. Perth is a very car-oriented city.

You'd probably get different answers from different women, but I'd say it is fairly safe for most areas, although you get hooligans who would probably harass you.

4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?

Buses generally run til 12-1 on weekdays, with a few night-buses as late as 3:30 on weekend nights. Taxis are costly here.

5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?

Once upon a time virtually everything shut down at 5-6pm, but now more and more things are open late or even 24. We even have a 24 hour supermarket near us now!

No but we've been burgled twice.

Not violently, just burglaries as well.

Fairly safe by world standards, although on weekend nights in the city it can feel unsafe because of all the aggro and a few dodgy characters. Lots of cops in the party areas though. The suburbs can feel unsafe though cos they're really quiet although incidents are rare.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM

11,832 posts, read 9,871,718 times
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Yes, very much so. There are certain areas where this may not hold true but I would feel safe walking alone in an overwhelming majority of Philadelphia. I am also a 6'2 man. I feel safer in urban/dense areas over isolated ones but I also grew up in the city.

Yes. I live within walking distance to 2 train lines as well as multiple bus routes. I grew up taking Public Transit to school through the poorest and most violent section of Philly, North Philadelphia.

I suppose a woman should be very aware walking late at night but this holds true for everywhere. My sisters and girlfriends have no qualms about walking alone at night through Center City Philly. My sister that lives with me sometimes walks the dog through our much higher crime rate neighborhood which concerns me, but I would not let her do it if I thought it was "dangerous".

Yes, but I usually take a cab or drive if it is very late. There are 24 Hour bus routes but a cab is much more convenient and quicker.

I live in a socioeconomically diverse neighborhood outside of the city core with a fairly high crime rate. It is not really a trendy neighborhood but there are some late night options. Most things do close earlier than I would like however, this has more to do with demand than crime.

Nope. I don't think a crime (property or violent) has ever been commited against me. Knock, Knock.

Yes, but surprisingly very few. My brother at gunpoint in Philly (drunk) and my friend at gunpoint in NYC (drunk).
I've heard of a few burglaries here and there and cars stolen but nothing violent or recent. My good friend from high school was shot and killed soon after graduation following a stupid dispute, which was personally my worst and maybe only experience with violent crime. It also happened in a deindustrialized neighborhood overflowing with guns and drugs.

I would say it is fairly safe for a large city. So much of the crime is isolated in post-industrial, war (on drugs) zones that crime will not effect most residents. Crime is a sensationalized American pasttime for suburbanites that need confirmation on their choices to live in isolation.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-17-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,564,739 times
3 times as dangerous as the fake PD crime stats say it is.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,982,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I live near Baltimore, Maryland in the suburbs. In the suburbs I feel safe at night in MOST places. The not so safe places are parts where a lot of people from the city have moved to. NOw in the city of Baltimore itself

- I do not feel safe taking any kind of public transportation any time of day

Best MTA Transit Bus Fight - Baltimore,Md. Bus # 10 ( Live Action ) - YouTube

MTA: Bus Beating Not Hate Crime - YouTube

People like these are why many Americans are against the expansion of mass transit in the US. Do you want such people to be able to access your neighborhood more easily?!?!?

I lived downtown in a gated apartment building that was very expensive. There has been an armed robbery on all 4 street corners around it. The parking garage I parked in was robbed at gunpoint and the cashier was shot by robbers trying to get the cash from there.

I do not feel comfortable parking my car anywhere at night outside of a "secure" garage, never on the street. I know people who have had their cars broken into over $5 t shirts from Walmart.

People have been shot and killed just sitting at home by stray bullets fired by gangbangers. I don't know what you mean by Buenos Aires being violent in the media of Argentina, but in Baltimore it is news if someone is NOT shot (at least injured) every day of the year. There were about 215 murders last year alone and that was considered low. There are typically between 250 and 300 murders a year. Many businesses in many parts of town close at 7 or 8 PM because of crime, many stores in the city have metal bars and bulletproof glass especially liquor stores and gas stations and most banks have security out front which you don't see in many American suburbs. Baltimore is a dangerous city even by US standards. Other very dangerous, terrible cities in the US include Philadelphia, Detroit, Newark NJ, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and some parts of Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis.

wow, that sounds terrible!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM

73,070 posts, read 64,594,439 times
Quote:
What Americans are against the expansion of mass transit? Introducing light rail (BART) to the San Francisco Bay Area did not cause crime in some neighborhoods to rise. Seattle finally built some light rail, no crime issues resulted.
"Such people"? You mean African Americans? wtf?!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM

73,070 posts, read 64,594,439 times
Quote:
Other very dangerous, terrible cities in the US include Philadelphia, Detroit, Newark NJ, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and some parts of Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis.
I lived in Oakland much of my life. Very safe. In Oakland, it depends on the neighborhood. I know people who live in Detroit, and they walk around at night and feel safe. In fact, they were terrified about moving to New Mexico, lol!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM

14,312 posts, read 17,996,241 times
Quote:
Other very dangerous, terrible cities in the US include Philadelphia, Detroit, Newark NJ, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and some parts of Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis.
If you really think Chicago is dangerous outside of a few sections, then you know absolutely nothing about it. Unless you live in the areas around Austin/Humboldt Park, Englewood/West Englewood, or Roseland, the city is very safe. 75% of the homicides since 2007 have occured in only 25% of the neighborhoods. Most of the violent crime is gang on gang, or drug trade related. It's fairly rare (although it does happen) to have a random person get the bad end of it all.

http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/neighborhoods/

These counts are the community areas and their homicide totals since January 1st, 2007. You can see a stark difference in the numbers between some neighborhoods and others. It's really sad, but if you put them on a map you'll realize that many of them are next to each other, so the gang violence spills over. For example, Austin and Humboldt Park are next to each other, and North Lawndale is around there. Englewood, Greater Grand Crossing, West Englewood, etc are all next to each other too. Unless you need really, really, really cheap rent, there's almost no reason to step in any of these areas (unless you're volunteering at a charity or you are a school teacher who has to teach at one of these places).

Now look at some of the areas that are "desirable" to live in like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Armour Square (Chinatown), Edison Park, Jefferson Park, North Center, Near South (South Loop), Near North (i.e. River North, Gold Coast), Hyde Park. Notice the severe drop off in numbers between these and the ones I mentioned above? Now you know where most of the murders are being committed. Nowhere where you or me ever have a reason to even step foot in (Except part of eastern Humboldt Park which is pretty safe).

There's a ton of very safe neighborhoods here. If you were to move here, none of the "popular" neighborhoods for any sort of restauranting, nightlife, etc have much of any violent crime going on in them. I live "downtown" and I remember there was a shooting near me over a year ago. It wasn't some random shooting. It was a targeted gang on gang killing, people need to educate themselves on this city. Otherwise they are completely misinformed.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-17-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or