U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,420,797 times

Advertisements

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)? I'm not entirely certain, but I know there are some areas I would avoid.
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car? Not really considering people often commute into LA for their jobs and go to surrounding cities for other amenities. Even if everything you did was within the city it would still be a stretch.
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night? In some areas probably.
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night? Buses here don't run very late.
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early? Not much is open after 10PM, I mean it is the suburbs.
6) Have you ever been robbed? No
7) Have people you know been robbed? Yes
8) How safe would you say your city is? Fairly safe, it's definitely not as bad as it was 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,566,911 times
Quote:
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
- Depends where I am. There's really only a couple small spots where I would be looking over my shoulder.

Quote:
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
- Because of danger? Yes.

Quote:
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
- Same as #1

Quote:
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
- Taxis yes. Buses stop around 01:30am.

Quote:
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
- Meh. It's not bad.

Quote:
6) Have you ever been robbed?
- Nope

Quote:
7) Have people you know been robbed?
- Just recently someone I know had a home invasion. That's it.

Quote:
8) How safe would you say your city is?
- For an economically depressed city of 215,000, across from Detroit, I would say we're doing okay. We recently went 2 1/2 years without a homocide.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM

11,525 posts, read 7,948,444 times
Vancouver, B.C.

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
Yes, I've never had a problem, however I do avoid the Granville Street Entertainment district when the bars get out. Too many drunks some looking for a fight.
Absolutely, many people do. In my neighbourhood you can walk to everything.
It's not dangerous, but I think most women are aware of their surroundings more at night
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
I can walk to the bars from my place. Even though the Skytrain is not running at 3 am there is some limited night bus service for those that need it.
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
Bars are open late. Supermarkets close around 11 pm and midnight. 24 hour drug store and 24 hour convenience stores.
No
No
Safe. The murder rate goes up and down depending on gang activity 2012. I believe Vancouver itself had about 8 murders in 2012, which is lower than normal. I believe it's usually around 20 or so. Hard to find stats for the metro area...but the whole province had only 40 murders in 2012. I did find that in 2009 we had the most murders ever in the metro area, 35 murders, mostly related to a gang war.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,425,576 times
Winnipeg

Depends where, so so

It is possible, buses go everywhere

Same as 1. But if I were a woman I wouldn't

Buses run until about 2 AM I think.

Some shopping store are open 24 hours, but usually everything is closed.

No

Yes, at gunpoint in an area which is supposedly safe.

Not sure, but we are the most dangerous city in Canada.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 8,858 times
Default Im scared and nervous in my country

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Just wondering about this, and hoping to get answers from people from all over the world, it would be great if they were from big cities (say capitals or big cities anywhere in the world) but small cities or towns would be ok too. Truth is most of the crime seems to happen in the big cities.

Anyways, i would like to know your sense of security in general.

I live in a city pegged as "dangerous" mostly by the local media. The news are full of crimes that always happen in the city (since its the capital of the country, biggest city by far-13 millon-and everything revolves around what happens in Buenos Aires in the news), and we supposedly live in a constant state of awarness in my country in general. Though not so much compared to the rest of LatinAmerica.

Anyways, i have some questions (you can add whatever question you want) and it would be great if you can answer. Im curious about all this.

Now, before i make the questions and answer them, despite living in a supposedly "dangerous" city, i dont feel insecure here at all. And im not brave, lol, not at all. I lived in much smaller cities before, more "quiet" supposedly, and i felt much more insecure there. While here, with all the people outside all the time, being a young woman that lives alone, i feel like im totally free to do whatever i want and dont have to worry about crime. Yeah, it could happen to me, but i dont live in constant state of fear. Quite the contrary. Keep in mind i dont own any vehicle and i use transportation at any hour any day of the week (for example every tuesday 11:30 pm returning from a far neighbourhood in a bus, in the middle of winter-streets more deserted- and every wednesday returning home next to 12pm due to a workshop, WALKING. Never had a problem, but, mostly, never felt insecure).

Anyways, this are the questions:

1) Depends on the neighbourhood. Im lucky enough to live in an AWESOME neighbourhood, and i dont mean rich or upper middle class (hell no, those are bad cause pickpocketers go there), i mean a very low profile middle class highly populated neighbourhood full of little bars and restaurants and nice young people outside. Amazing atmosphere. So, in my neighbourhood its not dangerous to walk at any time of the day or the week. I have a close friend that lives 3 blokcs aways and i ve returned home on tuesdays at 3 am with no problem or iffy sensation at all.
But some neighbourhoods in my city can be VERY dangerous. If you know wich ones to go and wich not, you will be mostly fine.

2) Absolutely. And its better (finding a place to park everyday must be hell).

3) See 1) im a woman so it depends, in my nb: no.

4) Yes. I never use taxis unless i have heavy bags. Buses all night ftw.

5) Yes. Even in weekdays.

6) Yes. My experience of being robbed "face to face" was very small, though, and not in BA, but in La Plata, in where 2 little robbers ask me for my money and cellphone in broad daylight, and i just gave them the money (not cellphone) and left with no problem. In BA, though, i have been pickpocketed (not face to face( in the subway, they took my cellphone . You have to take care of your handbag in the subway, specially late at night.

7) Yes, and i know others that dont.

8) Compared to what i see on tv, its uter safe. Now, compared to the world, i guess, its just average. There are nb that are pretty bad, and pickpocketing in subway is pretty common and if you arent as lucky as me you might not wander around at 3 am alone being a girl, lol. But its not that bad, actually. I feel much safer in this huge city than in the small, quieter cities i lived. MUCH.

ok, what are your expeirences?
No u can not walk anywhere by yourself its too dangerous,if your a girl its worse if u wanted to take ur dogs for a walk u cant do that by urself unless ur a bit stupid but u have to have a guy with u.i personally always feel like im being followed and watched and im right there has been a few times where its happened.
2if u dnt own a car ur hopeless in this country,and no woman can walk bythemself unless at mid day time.people i know have been robbed .shops do close early aswell.you cant use buses,train,taxi ...like i said the safest thing is to have ur own car .because people dont drive very well.
Its pretty irratating ,but im gratefull to have a roof over my head

Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,548,663 times
For my city, Leeds..

This depends entirely on where I am. In my area, then yes, definitely. The area is extremely quiet - almost too quiet. The worst we get is the occasional scrap between a fox and a cat. In the city centre - so so - after 11pm it will mostly be people getting drunk in bars and then spilling out onto the streets by early morning, and if I was in the city centre at that time, I'd probably be drunk myself.

Yes, a car is not necessary at all. It's convenient, but the traffic is awful - we suffer from some of the worst congestion in Europe. Give me the train or bus.

No more dangerous than for a man.

After 11pm? No. They stop running after a certain time, so taxis are the only option. Sucks, I know, and there is certainly enough demand to support all-night buses, especially since less than half of people in the central areas own a car, so will use public transport.

My neighbourhood is a quiet residential area that mostly comprises of retirees and older families. There isn't much to see or do here - but we have a pub/restaurant at the top of my street that is usually open to around 11-12 at night, but thankfully people do not get drunk and shout, they just go home after a meal or whatever.

Nope.

Nope

Compared to other big cities in the UK, quiet safe. Certainly no worse. I feel safe wherever I go and never feel threatened by anyone.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM

9,608 posts, read 20,553,503 times
The only place I have ever been the victim of any "crimes" were in mostly White upper middle class suburban schools. There being hit, threatened, and harassed can be an 8 hours of hell each day.

If low income Black people did those things outside the school building they would get years in jail. But since the perps are rich White kids it goes unpunished.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,783 posts, read 39,922,134 times

this is what happened to a woman walking alone at night in a nearby town:

A female paramedic had gone out into the parking lot of the ambulance station near the Northampton Bike Path to get a look at the fireworks when she felt something lick her arm. “Apparently the paramedic wears a cocoa butter moisturizer with coconut oil in it,” Pajak wrote. “After she screamed, the bear must have figured out that she was not ‘food’ because it ran off.”

Northampton bear has taste for cocoa butter | masslive.com

Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,943,478 times
Bucharest

Perfecftly safe in most places
I do
No
Absolutely
Non-food are shut down around 18 PM, most food around 10 PM, only few food shops are non-stop
Not even pickpocketed
No and the cases are rare even as they appear in press
Very safe, safest capital in Europe in 2011 by homicid rate

Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,271,654 times
Yes and I do so every week on my night out

Yes.

Nope. I'm a woman and feel perfectly safe walking alone late at night.

No but thats just because there isn't really any buses.

Only bars, kebab shops and the grill kiosk are open late.

No

No but I don't know that many people here

I'd say its very safe as long as you don't hang out with the wrong kind of people. My neighbours have made threats but apart from that I haven't had any trouble here. Its a small 'city' (it considers itself a city but I'd say its more like a smallish town)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or