U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,618,460 times

Advertisements

Guys - there's a crime wave in my area. Someone recently has stolen two slabs of stone from a path. I am in shock and disarray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

456 posts, read 509,428 times
I'll say it's quite safe compare to big cities but it's like everywhere, i try to avoid bad neighborood at night especially alone or walking down a dark deserted street.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 AM

30,567 posts, read 31,518,749 times
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)? Yes
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car? Yes
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night? No
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night? Yes
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early? Yes and no.
6) Have you ever been robbed? No
7) Have people you know been robbed? No
8) How safe would you say your city is? NYC is one of the safest large cities in the USA.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
6) Have you ever been robbed?
7) Have people you know been robbed?
8) How safe would you say your city is?
1. I know nothing won't happen to me, but I just wouldn't feel that safe.
2. Yes. We have a lot of public transport.
3. Nope. Both men and women are no more or less in danger.
4. Buses don't operate that late in night here.
5. We're mostly closed at around 6pm. Indoor supermarkets may be opened up until 11pm though.
6. If these cases count as 'robbing': Our car was broken into 6 years ago (they stole the DVDs in it only). A few months ago somebody took our number plate.
7. 10 years ago my aunt's car was stolen, taken to the countryside and burnt. Again, if this counts as 'robbing'.
8. Not extremely safe, but on the safe 'side'.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 AM

866 posts, read 797,141 times
Singapore:
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
ANS: Yes, any place!

ANS: Yes, public transport is one of the best in the world. The entire city is also walkable and bicycle friendly.

ANS: No, never dangerous.

4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
ANS: Trains and public buses can be used from 5AM to 12MN, taxi operates anytime at any place. There are buses operating at certain routes from 12MN and beyond, we call them "nightrider".

5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
ANS: Malls closes at 10PM, clinic closes at 6PM, some street restaurants (or kopitiam as we call it) are open 24 hours.

ANS: Never in my 9 years here.

ANS: Nope, never heared anyone being robbed here.

ANS: Absolutely safe.

Manila, Philippines:
ANS: Generally no. Try to go home early unless you have a car. Public transport are also not safe at these times. Avoid dark places and slum areas.

ANS: Yes but public vehicles are generally uncomfortable specially during peak hours. I would still advise having a car.

ANS: Safe answer is no.

ANS: Yes you can. The city seems never sleeps, still lots of people and moving cars even late at night.

ANS: Malls closes at 10PM, bars and clubs closes at 4-5AM.

ANS: Once during my university years. It was very unharm rob. The robbers didn't use force or any any weapon. They use a very good strategy. Too long to explain.

ANS: Yes, every people I know experienced being robbed atleast once. Nobody was killed or injured though.

ANS: Slightly below the average but way way safer than cities in South America and Africa. Being robbed or your car gets stolen are the things you have to worry. But robbers and carnappers won't harm you as long as you give what they want. Pickpockets are everywhere so keep your eye on your stuff. You can be safe in Manila as long as you know which places are safe and which places you have to avoid. Having a car is also safer than taking the public transport. Don't wear jewelries or use cellphones while outside. Walk fast and always be observant.

Last edited by kent_moore; 08-29-2014 at 05:27 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM

6,562 posts, read 4,760,015 times
Taipei,Taiwan
I don't really do that because I usually get back home really early(like 6 pm or something lol),but if I study late(in the library),I feel pretty safe to walk alone back home from metro station.

Yes.I don't own a car and have no intention to own one anytime soon.

I guess not,but I wouldn't recommend that.Stay away from small alleys at very least.

No.Buses stop running at midnight or something.

Exactly.There are plenty of stores that only close when a powerful typhoon is striking.Actually,there are plenty of places that still open when a typhoon is striking.

No.Well actually my mother was robbed when she was pregnant with me,so a 50% yes?Lol.

Sure.Not many though.My mother was sort of robbed when she was pregnant,my grandmother's house and one of my uncles' car were broken into,and my grandmother's necklace was pulled off in the market,.I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that I can recall now.
Oh and my birthday cake was taken when my father put it on the motorbike,wasn't robbery though lol.

Safer than Paris I'd say,lol.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-29-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,429,057 times
Yes
Yes, the public transport is good
Nope
Yes
Depends on the time of year
Nope
Nope
Very safe, the most unsafe areas of Stockholm are much safer than the safest parts of Paris, London, Birmingham etc.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,761,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Helsinki and Turku, Finland

1) Yes, mostly. I'll try to ignore drunken gangs who can be violent or at least annoying. If biking, everyone will leave you alone. Gun related crime is almost unheard of. The suburbs are kindergartens compared to many cities in Central Europe.
I actually thought about it when I walked back home on Saturday (or Sunday morning). There was just nothing. No stereotyphical drunken knife fights as the Swedes like to say. And some people were talking Turkish/Kurdish/Albanian!

I have to agree with a Turku police officer that said: "If it wasn't for alcohol, we would need one 2-man patrol for the whole city". And even with that one patrol, I didn't see any street violence or other crime during the summer at all. People asking for cigarettes was the "worst" encounter.

We had a renegade rapist before, I think we would need something again just to keep it going. Nothing just happens here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or