U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM

20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Most Korean ladies have gone under the knife. The industry is mega business there. Even girls as young as 13-14 have gone plastic. Not much of original beauty remains.
The industry is huge there and South Korea has the highest per capita of people who have had cosmetic surgery. However, saying that "most" korean ladies have gone under the knife literally means a majority which is nothing even close to the numbers I've seen. The highest stat I've seen was 1 in 5 for female residents in Seoul, but not as high for the rest of the country overall. The difference between 1 in 5 for a specific region and greater than 1 in 2 for an entire people is really substantial.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
I doubt most people will mistake any Indian for a White.
Nah, some is weird though. Some of my Indian friends seem to think I look a little like a younger Saif Ali Khan with short hair. But they're weird.. According to my friend who's from Northern India, there's actually some white-ish people there and in parts of Pakistan, but they still have exotic features.

I think a good example is Imran Khan, the former cricketer turned politician from Pakistan. I think he could easily pass as English

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,832,853 times
I am pretty biased but how about the Irish? I think the Irish and especially the "black Irish" or Irish with dark features are some of the best looking people around. Also any ethnicity that is a mix of multiple things like Trinidadians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and African Americans.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM

154 posts, read 292,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I am pretty biased but how about the Irish? I think the Irish and especially the "black Irish" or Irish with dark features are some of the best looking people around. Also any ethnicity that is a mix of multiple things like Trinidadians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and African Americans.
As I said, HARD to add any of the European nationalities to the underrated list since when you ask about best looking people, everyone will go to a European nationality by default.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
As I said, HARD to add any of the European nationalities to the underrated list since when you ask about best looking people, everyone will go to a European nationality by default.
I guess so but the Irish have historically been seen as somewhat of the underclass group in Europe. And I didn't see anyone mention them as a good looking ethnic group in this thread and do not hear them mentioned often as this outside of CD either.

You mentioned the French, whom are European and are often recognized for being good looking.

Black Irish

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: pic

Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Do you look like a European? It's fascinating to hear that an Indian being mistaken for a white on a daily basis.
I'm extremely light skinned mainly because I'm as North Indian as it gets (Himalayan region of India). I'm on average lighter skinned than several Caucasians in the Sunbelt region of the United States, my skin color is as light as a South Koreans.

I also don't have any accents or anything to indicate that I'm Indian-- and most people after I tell them I'm Indian tell me the only thing that looks Indian about me is the nose, to which many of them also proclaim saying "I don't believe you're Indian, you look Jewish/Israeli/Palestinian".

With Hispanic & Black people, they are 110% in the belief that I'm white. To Caucasians, they think I'm from the Israeli/Sinai Peninsula/Palestine/Lebanon region, minus the fact that I don't have a beard or mustache. Which is another thing, majority of the Indian people begin (or have to start shaving at age 14-15) whereas in my case I don't grow facial hair, arm, or leg hair all that much. I'm 22 and in my life I've only had to shave probably a total of less than 40 times-- once every month and a half and I began shaving at age 20. Asian people are surprised to hear I'm Asian. I hung out with my Lebanese friend & Chinese friend in Houston a few weeks ago and came around a black woman at a bar that said "you guys are apart of the white & Asian crew" and we didn't understand what she meant. I told her I'm Asian too and she argued with me about lying, it wasn't until I showed her my ID with my name that she stopped accusing me of being a liar.

To Indian people, they overlook that I'm one of them. Many times, going as far as acting extremely surprised by the fact that I'm one of them. They would have never guessed it.

Overall, all my life people say two things to me upon meeting me: 1) That's an interesting name, 2) Where are you from? I cant get a read on you. People can tell I'm not White but round me off as "white" because it's the closest thing they could register me as-- often times correlating me to Southern Europe, the Mediterranean, or the Middle East.

My best friend once told me his favorite Indian person is this guy named "Ken" that we went to college with and I would tell him "what about me?" and he would answer saying "dude, I keep forgetting you're Indian-- if you didn't tell me, I wouldn't know". All my friends tell me the exact same thing.

My parents themselves tell me all the time they wonder how I ended up being so light skinned (they're light skinned as well for Indians-- but they're more "tan" compared to Caucasians) and it's been a topic of debate all my life. Everyone I meet, everyone I talk to, everyone I encounter-- they have opinions of me being from Israel, Lebanon, Italy, Cyprus, Greece but no one thinks I'm Indian at first and it's not until I tell them that it even registers to them that I am.

When I visit India, I can see people staring at me-- telling each other about how to haggle me out of money (I can understand Hindi) thinking I'm some white tourist with no idea of what their language or culture is. I have a cousin, who like me-- gets the same treatment because she too doesn't look Indian in the stereotypical fashion.

If I had to give an example of my situation, the closest Indian celebrity I could relate to would be Neil Mukesh. I'm as light as he is (if not lighter) without any indication of facial hair though:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...agen_event.jpg

With Neil Mukesh, you could tell by the nose he's Indian. With me? Not so much.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I guess so but the Irish have historically been seen as somewhat of the underclass group in Europe. And I didn't see anyone mention them as a good looking ethnic group in this thread and do not hear them mentioned often as this outside of CD either.

You mentioned the French, whom are European and are often recognized for being good looking. Am I missing something?

Black Irish
odd, in the USA we respect the Irish a lot and Irish men are considered handsome (Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrell, Johnathan Rhys Meyers, etc.)

I would say the Irish are the most respected heritage in America

Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
^ By his nose I wouldn't even say Indian. Sure, it could be construed as that, but the face as a whole is not at all what people think of as Indian. He looks more mixed white and something else

My friend from Northern India surprised me with that stuff by telling me I could pass as North Indian too. Imran Khan from Pakistan is a good example too.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM

those kinds of Indians are like 0.0001% of the population

I would say the light brown skin Indians are pretty common but most have dark brown skin

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
odd, in the USA we respect the Irish a lot and Irish men are considered handsome (Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrell, Johnathan Rhys Meyers, etc.)

I would say the Irish are the most respected heritage in America
Interesting and I agree in some ways, The US does have a special relationship with Ireland. I guess I was thinking more outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or