Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better urban amenities/infrastructure
Osaka 39 76.47%
Chicago 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:24 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times

Advertisements

For these 2 cities, which one do you think has the better urban amenities and infrastructure:

Transit
Walkability
Restaurants/Food
Nightlife
Vibrancy/Street Scene
Architecture
Downtown/Central Area
Neighborhoods
Cultural Attractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 12:31 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,165 times
Osaka by a long shot.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Osaka by a long shot.
Explain. Chicago is a top 10 global city. Where's Osaka? Osaka is likely a great city, but the long shot comment is a head scratcher. I would think Chicago would be on top in most categories.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
American cities always lose in City vs City polls. NYC might have a chance even vs Osaka.
Makes me wonder what US city could if any .....

You could probably pick virtually any even mid-sized Asian city and it would win. Same with European cities. Only commenting on the chances.

Because absolutely to discuss it or argue is pointless. US cites are always seen as inferior.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I wonder how many forum members have enough experience with both Chicago and Osaka to be able to comment intelligently. It looks like not too many.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:46 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Chicago is a top 10 global city. Where's Osaka?
Chicago is top 15, Osaka top 20.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Explain. Chicago is a top 10 global city. Where's Osaka? Osaka is likely a great city, but the long shot comment is a head scratcher. I would think Chicago would be on top in most categories.
I would say Osaka wins by a long shot in most categories. Public transportation in Japanese cities blows anywhere in the US out of water and Osaka is also extremely walkable, safe (Chicago is literally sin city in comparison with anything in Japan), the Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe-Nara area has 15 Michelin 3-star restaurants which is the 2nd most in the world after Tokyo (Chicago has 2), vibrant night life and street scene, cool neighbourhoods, and plenty of cultural attractions. Not to mention Kyoto is like 30 mins away whereas if you drive 1 hour away from Chicago you'd end up in ... Chicago's suburbs.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
American cities always lose in City vs City polls. NYC might have a chance even vs Osaka.

You could probably pick virtually any even mid-sized Asian city and it would win. Same with European cities. Only commenting on the chances.

Because absolutely to discuss it or argue is pointless. US cites are always seen as inferior.
Depends on the category. If we look at infrastructure and public transportation, then it's understandable why US cities are losing. The quality is severely lacking, or at best found in small pockets.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

It's not about inferior, it's about urbanity. American cities are the least urban in the world even the big ones next to Australian and Canadian cities. Japanese aren't only significantly denser than European cities over larger areas, Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto is just on a whole 'nother level in terms of any measurable urbanity statistics except maybe skyline and food diversity, the latter has little to do with Urbanity.

Like another poster said even NYC would struggle as both NYC and Osaka probably have similar populations over comparable areas and suburban NYC isn't as bad as suburban Chicago in terms of lack of urbanity, it is still miles from Osaka where the suburbs are almost as dense as the core- 20,000 ppsm vs. 30,000 ppsm. While U.S we are talking about 5,000 ppsm vs. 30,000 ppsm in NYC and even lower if you split inner suburbs vs. outer suburbs.

Obviously the Osaka area doesn't have an equivalent to Manhattan, technically no city has an equivalent to Manhattan, which is likely the most impressive amount of urbanity in the first world next to Hong Kong. The third world is likely going to pass up Manhattan just because some cities will have over 50,000,000 people in 30-40+ years, which means an area of 100,000 ppsm over a massive area especially in India or China is very possible.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder how many forum members have enough experience with both Chicago and Osaka to be able to comment intelligently. It looks like not too many.
I lived in Osaka for three years, and I'm originally from Michigan (visited Chicago regularly enough).

Osaka does have win, for the reasons already mentioned. That being said, by American standards, Chicago is amazing. But, so is Osaka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World