Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM

270 posts, read 260,337 times

Advertisements

Does your country have a stereotypical type of humor?

I think America's humor is best summed up by irrelevance like Groucho Marx answering the phone "I'm sorry I can not take your call at this time but if I should return during my absence I will call you back directly."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
I like u.k. sarcasm!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times
In the end of the last century, the main trend of the humour here in Brazil were the satires about politics and footballers, and of social costumes. Currently the stand-up comedy has more acceptance. Some comedians are trying to make hard jokes with celebrities, often using offensve words, but the public doesn't look to this with sympathy. Currently, one of the most popular comedian shows in Brazil is CQC, from the argentine producer Cuatro Cabezas, which has also versions in another countries like Portugal, the Netherlands and Italy (where it's called "Le Ieni").

Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM

250 posts, read 503,046 times
The British don't have a stereotypical humour as such, at least not at a general level, given that they've been subject to one of the most diversified and widely disseminated cultural traditions in comedy.

Presented without further comment:

Benny Hill in New York - How to Meet Beautiful Women:

Monty Python - The Lumberjack Song:

Bottom - Culture:

Last edited by Citizen401; 01-02-2013 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
In the end of the last century, the main trend of the humour here in Brazil were the satires about politics and footballers, and of social costumes. Currently the stand-up comedy has more acceptance. Some comedians are trying to make hard jokes with celebrities, often using offensve words, but the public doesn't look to this with sympathy. Currently, one of the most popular comedian shows in Brazil is CQC, from the argentine producer Cuatro Cabezas, which has also versions in another countries like Portugal, the Netherlands and Italy (where it's called "Le Ieni").

Here in Ceará, the satire of social customs is still the major trend in comedy / humor.

And remember we are the homeland of most of the greatest comedians in Brazil (from Chico Anysio to Tom Cavalcante)!

Stand-up is not very appreciated here, except for a fraction of the middle class youth who is too much influenced by the TV shows from São Paulo (like Panico and CQC).

And we really don't like the kind of "bullying humor" that is becoming usual in São Paulo, specially in TV shows like Panico. We think that comedy exists to make people laugh and be happy, not to make people cry. Bullying is not funny.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I think those Russian cars that they use in the circus where all the clowns come piling out are a hoot!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM

270 posts, read 260,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think those Russian cars that they use in the circus where all the clowns come piling out are a hoot!
Do you mean Russian czars?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,848 times
I've found Brazilian humor to be on the whole over-the-top. Not in a bad or good way, just EXTRA, at least compared to American humor today. Brazilians would think something like the Three Stooges to be funny, because it uses a lot of noises and is very "loud" (Overreacting, a lot of over the top emotions, etc.). I've seen this to be most true here in Salvador, where people think something like the guy in the beginning of this video to be HILARIOUS!

TV Pagodão JRDoCaVaCo

Do you see what I mean? For Americans (I can only really speak for them, Jamaicans, and Brazilians, as those three are cultures I know most intimately), the guy just seems loud and annoying. To Brazilians, he's comedy GOLD!

American humor tends to be more varied, but in general, I find Americans to appreciate most a very quick one-liner. Americans enjoy a build-up, or a very subtle look. For example, Katt Williams is considered hilarious in the States. While his work has a lot of movement and over-action, his funniest moments are considered to be his facial expressions, or that quick ZINGER that comes out of nowhere. I'm not sure he would be as successful if he were a brazilian in Brazil.

Americans, I think, would rather quote Winston Churchill. Brazilians would rather watch a Carmen Miranda comedy and laugh at her antics.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,848 times
This is Katt Williams. Notice how he gets his laughs from his phrases, not his antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQUSjzWB-w

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
This is Katt Williams. Notice how he gets his laughs from his phrases, not his antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQUSjzWB-w
This just goes to show how much American standup comedy has gone downhill.

I think you also miss the point about standup comedy not simply being about words but about attitude, timing and all those little physical subtleties in the way the words are delivered. As such -- it doesn't make standup that much more ' high brow ' than good ' slapstick '.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World