Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times

Advertisements

How come italians aren't considered Latino? In alot of ways I think us italians share tons with hispanic and lusophone cultures. Heavy catholism, tight knit families, relaxed work ethic (admittedly not so good), generally outgoing boistrious personalites. What do you think?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
Not only italians are latino, but also frenchmen and romanians. All of the people speaking romance languages (derived from Latin) natively, or thise with direct ancestry of the Roman Empire, are latinos.

The confusion appears to exist because the word "latino" is used with the meaning of "latin american". This last definition includes brazilians, haitians and the spanish-speaking countries of America. It excludes spaniards and portugueses - because they are europeans; and also Guyana, Jamaica and Surinam, because they speak germanic languages (English and Dutch).

I realised that in USA it's common also the use of the term Hispanic. This means all of the spanish-speaking people ("Hispanidad"), and includes Spain and all of Latin America except Brazil and Haiti. I don't know a proper word for meaning all of the people from Latin America, plus Spain and Portugal.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Yes they are... the same as Portugese, Spanish, French etc. Fabio explained it very well.

So yes I have always considered them latinos.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
I think most people consider italians latinos!!
The latin culture is from Italy!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't know a proper word for meaning all of the people from Latin America, plus Spain and Portugal.
Iberoamérica.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
It's that here in America Italians are treated like a seperate group from what is refered to as "Latino". Although one did make a good point about the fact that Spainards aren't really seen as "Latino" in the US either, but European. Maybe that's the key...

I see modern Italian American culture pretty much being alot like what you see on Univision or Telemundo. Macho, loud men. Hot blooded, attractive women. Very extroverted. Lots of focus on muscle cars, club music, flavorful food (as opposed to say Germanic or British dervied ethnicites), basically like I see the Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Brazilians in my area and to me I see Italians not being all that much different. I just wonder why in the US Italians kinda get seen as seperate.

BTW, It's kinda inaccurate in my view to legitamitely call French and Romanian people latino based on language. Culturally French people are far more Germainc in terms of being reserved, perfectionist, objective and generally just low key. I've only met a few Romanians and to me they kinda have that whole Russo-sphere mindset going on. Not good or bad, but just clearly Eastern European/Soviet Bloc in term of thought process.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It's that here in America Italians are treated like a seperate group from what is refered to as "Latino". Although one did make a good point about the fact that Spainards aren't really seen as "Latino" in the US either, but European. Maybe that's the key...

I see modern Italian American culture pretty much being alot like what you see on Univision or Telemundo. Macho, loud men. Hot blooded, attractive women. Very extroverted. Lots of focus on muscle cars, club music, flavorful food (as opposed to say Germanic or British dervied ethnicites), basically like I see the Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Brazilians in my area and to me I see Italians not being all that much different. I just wonder why in the US Italians kinda get seen as seperate.

BTW, It's kinda inaccurate in my view to legitamitely call French and Romanian people latino based on language. Culturally French people are far more Germainc in terms of being reserved, perfectionist, objective and generally just low key. I've only met a few Romanians and to me they kinda have that whole Russo-sphere mindset going on. Not good or bad, but just clearly Eastern European/Soviet Bloc in term of thought process.
All of each latin people has a very own personality. If the french people is germanic, so we would include the austrians among the latinos, because they resemble the italians in many aspects, including the roman catholic religion, although they speak German. Even spaniards and portugueses have completely different personality, so are frenchmen, italians, and romanians. And in many cases there are more than a definite personality inside the same country, between groups speaking the same language. This occur at least in Brazil and Italy, two countries with a huge difference between the north and the south. I'm not an anthropologist, but I think we can divide the Latino culture in four groups: the "southern latinos" (Italians, Spaniards and Portugueses), the "northern latinos" (Frenchmen, Walloons and french-speaking Swiss), the "eastern latinos" (Romanian and Moldavian) and the latin americans.

The word "Latino" derives from "Latium", the region of origin of the ancient romans, what is nowadays the region of Lazio, in Italy, So, all of the people with direct roman heritage is latino, regardless of the particular features of each people.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
No because Spaniards dont even consider themselves Latino. They use the term to describe Latin Americans. That's why you see movies dubbed in either "Espanol (Espana)" or "Espanol Latino".

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
No because Spaniards dont even consider themselves Latino. They use the term to describe Latin Americans. That's why you see movies dubbed in either "Espanol (Espana)" or "Espanol Latino".
Yes, many use this word as short for "latin american", but it's strictly wrong. The correct would be "Español Latinoamericano", but it's also a misconception, since there are four standards in the spanish language: the European Spanish, the Rioplatense Spanish (spoken in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay), the standard of Mexico and USA, and one other for the other countries in Latin America.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
In America, Latino is a term used to refer to Spanish speakers of the Americas.

Latin is used to refer to the culture of Italy and other Mediterranean and southern European countries influenced by Italy from Antiquity with the expansion of the Roman Empire and later by the Catholic church. However, for this purpose, the term Romance is usually preferred to Latin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.