U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,326 posts, read 18,038,201 times
Reputation: 6275

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm aware of the strict visa process, but have read of americans going there in recent years. It's easier if you have Iranian friends, otherwise you can arrange through a company. Of course I know there's some anti-americanism there, but i'm curious as to how much of that is put on by the media, and how is actually is in real life. That, the rich history and unique architecture, and the isolation from a lot of the world, is why i'm extremely curious to go there!
A good amount. Again, I have friends who are Iranian and tell me there's a lot of pro west people there that the media seems to ignore. Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,427,066 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A good amount. Again, I have friends who are Iranian and tell me there's a lot of pro west people there that the media seems to ignore. Typical.
Iranians aren't all as brainwashed as the West likes to portray. Many are very unhappy with their government. They have to live with it, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,326 posts, read 18,038,201 times
Reputation: 6275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Iranians aren't all as brainwashed as the West likes to portray. Many are very unhappy with their government. They have to live with it, after all.
Yes, this is exactly what my two posts are about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,666 posts, read 71,910,733 times
Reputation: 35913
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm aware of the strict visa process, but have read of americans going there in recent years. It's easier if you have Iranian friends, otherwise you can arrange through a company. Of course I know there's some anti-americanism there, but i'm curious as to how much of that is put on by the media, and how is actually is in real life. That, the rich history and unique architecture, and the isolation from a lot of the world, is why i'm extremely curious to go there!
There are so many Europeans and Australians traveling freely about Iran, warmly embraced by the Iranians, there would be no problem for an American, on the street. Just make sure you don't have a US flag on your backpack, and no Iranian will know you are an American.

Remember the old story that used to circulate around youth hostels:

American: How come you Canadians all have your flag on your backpack?
Canadian: So people will know that we are not Americans.
A: What's wrong with being an American?
C: How come you don't have your flag on your backpack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top