U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your choice?
Beijing 2 3.77%
Los Angeles 24 45.28%
Osaka 12 22.64%
Rhine-Ruhr 10 18.87%
Combined option for "none", "confused at the moment", "I don't really know where to begin", "huh" 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,055,537 times
Reputation: 4053

Advertisements

There is a few cities more appealing than Beijing in China to me. Hong Kong, Tianjin and Yangzhou for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
6,114 posts, read 6,639,059 times
Reputation: 6686
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
There is a few cities more appealing than Beijing in China to me. Hong Kong, Tianjin and Yangzhou for example.
That's strange, because Tianjin is very close to Beijing and I would assume that it has "less" going on than Beijing. Actually, while I haven't been to either-- I'm confident to say it has less going on than Beijing in terms of everything.

May I ask why preferring one over the other. To me picking Tianjin (which definitely gets overshadowed by Beijing) is like picking Philadelphia over New York. To which I can see the argument of the smaller more manageable city appealing to some people but Tianjin is just slightly smaller than London in general so there goes the manageable part.

I also don't consider Hong Kong as China, it's really just it's own thing-- the border and fences between it and Shenzhen as well as it's own government, currency, status as a dependent country, economic entity are proof of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,055,537 times
Reputation: 4053
I'd rather go to San Diego than LA, so whats your point??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
6,114 posts, read 6,639,059 times
Reputation: 6686
Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,684 posts, read 39,474,499 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
There is a few cities more appealing than Beijing in China to me. Hong Kong, Tianjin and Yangzhou for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
That's strange, because Tianjin is very close to Beijing and I would assume that it has "less" going on than Beijing. Actually, while I haven't been to either-- I'm confident to say it has less going on than Beijing in terms of everything.

May I ask why preferring one over the other. To me picking Tianjin (which definitely gets overshadowed by Beijing) is like picking Philadelphia over New York. To which I can see the argument of the smaller more manageable city appealing to some people but Tianjin is just slightly smaller than London in general so there goes the manageable part.

I also don't consider Hong Kong as China, it's really just it's own thing-- the border and fences between it and Shenzhen as well as it's own government, currency, status as a dependent country, economic entity are proof of that.
My thoughts exactly. I've actually BEEN to both Beijing and Tianjin, and there's nothing in Tianjin that Beijing cannot offer. Except, perhaps, some western architecture as it was a fairly international city. It's just as polluted and congested as Beijing and has over 10 million people (yes it's a megacity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,055,537 times
Reputation: 4053
But it is culturaly different to a lot of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
 
5,394 posts, read 5,245,911 times
Reputation: 1945
I would add the top two universities in China are both in Beijing.

Peking University, which resembles Harvard in the US, is only next-door to Tsinghua University, which resembles MIT.
If you ask any Chinese which two universities are the best in the country, you will get the same answer 100% times, though people have very different opinions about No.3 and No. 4.
Beijing has over 70 universities and colleges, including other prestigious ones. It also has the best institutes of fine arts, music, film, and sports.

So Beijing = DC + LA + Boston; Shanghai = NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,512 posts, read 18,851,616 times
Reputation: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've actually BEEN to both Beijing and Tianjin, and there's nothing in Tianjin that Beijing cannot offer. Except, perhaps, some western architecture as it was a fairly international city. It's just as polluted and congested as Beijing and has over 10 million people (yes it's a megacity).
Beijing and Tianjin have really different vibes to them and Tianjin is culturally pretty different. Do you speak Mandarin decently well? If you don't, then maybe the differences don't hit you as immediately. Architecturally, there is a larger historic foreign architecture, the hutongs of Beijing aren't there but a different form, and the city puts a lot more emphasis on its waterfronts.

Also, I don't understand why paul's argument was discounted. Yea, LA has everything San Diego has because it's such a bigger city--and still there are a lot of people who prefer San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
6,114 posts, read 6,639,059 times
Reputation: 6686
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, I don't understand why paul's argument was discounted. Yea, LA has everything San Diego has because it's such a bigger city--and still there are a lot of people who prefer San Diego.
No one discounted his argument, I prefer San Diego to Los Angeles myself so I can understand what he meant by that.

What I'm saying is someone citing pollution and congestion (and possibly of a city being much bigger) as a con for Beijing should also see that Tianjin is a big city (just slightly smaller than London) with congestion and pollution too. It's not immune to it.

Otherwise for preference, I don't hold his weight of Tianjin over Beijing against him. People prefer what they prefer, ultimately an idea that sometimes gets lost on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,684 posts, read 39,474,499 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Beijing and Tianjin have really different vibes to them and Tianjin is culturally pretty different. Do you speak Mandarin decently well? If you don't, then maybe the differences don't hit you as immediately. Architecturally, there is a larger historic foreign architecture, the hutongs of Beijing aren't there but a different form, and the city puts a lot more emphasis on its waterfronts.

Also, I don't understand why paul's argument was discounted. Yea, LA has everything San Diego has because it's such a bigger city--and still there are a lot of people who prefer San Diego.
I'm curious as to what paul finds more appealing about Tianjin. Maybe it's something he's read or heard about.

I don't speak Mandarin, but my mother does, and I went with her. I saw a lot of the foreign buildings, the 'German quarter', 'British quarter'.etc. I remember this pretty nice shopping street done in Chinese style. We went there was a day-trip from Beijing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top