U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your choice?
Randstad 9 36.00%
Bay Area 13 52.00%
Combined option for "none", "confused at the moment", "I don't really know where to begin", "huh" 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
2,346 posts, read 3,196,748 times
Reputation: 1077

Advertisements

More pix of the SF Bay Area
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/46/158...c91_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8...44374efb_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5075/7...560cd037_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2703/5...50bcbae8_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5036/5...d330764a_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8464/8...0b78d5ff_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8513/8...46429cbd_z.jpg
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Reputation: 11163
I'm not that big a fan of the Netherlands (I visited once). Nonetheless, I would choose Randstad in this comparison just because of its proximity to London, Paris and Germany among other places. It's a much more interesting region to me than northern California - which I've also been to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 PM
 
520 posts, read 482,294 times
Reputation: 261
Scrantix, now you're showing off!! And making me incredibly jealous!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
 
520 posts, read 482,294 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm not that big a fan of the Netherlands (I visited once). Nonetheless, I would choose Randstad in this comparison just because of its proximity to London, Paris and Germany among other places. It's a much more interesting region to me than northern California.
Having that many foreign countries so close is definitely a huge attraction.

Personally, I love the Netherlands, and find a certain inexplicable charm not just in Amsterdam, but in other places too. To each his own, I guess.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
I flipped a coin, voted for the one that landed on tails.

I made this thread to talk about two places I find to be quite comparable (albeit in different ways) and two places I'm fond of.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Having that many foreign countries so close is definitely a huge attraction.

Personally, I love the Netherlands, and find a certain inexplicable charm not just in Amsterdam, but in other places too. To each his own, I guess.
Amsterdam isn't bad at all. It's just that it dwarfs in scale and importance compared to the megacities of western Europe. It's all relative.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Reputation: 10206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't know, isn't the US in general cheaper than Western Europe? The Randstad is quite expensive in terms of housing because it's so densely populated.

I do like warm weather but not the whole year, I like having four seasons and snow during the winter (only around Christmas though ). The Netherlands is a bit too cold for me but something like the climate of Central France would be perfect.
It is overall, but due to the taxes that come with having a real social safety net. The Bay Area is expensive overall, but "saves" a bit from not having to contribute to anything close to what much of western Europe offers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Reputation: 10206
The Bay Area is beautiful, but much of your shots highlights SF more than anything and are not at street level which is how most people experience a city. The Bay Area certainly has a lot of suburban blegh/blah blah blah and that is undeniable.

I also don't see what scrantix said about Linda's posts. That is pretty much a strawman since she was pretty much very positive about the Bay Area. It sounds more like an artifact of this US-based site having really flagrant boosters. Both places have their advantages. Also, how does the Hague or Rotterdam or Utrecht compare to what's not SF (with Amsterdam being the comparison to SF) in the Bay Area? Generally not all that well in terms of living in those places for me. SF is definitely the jewel of the Bay Area but much of the rest of the metro is not all that impressive or interesting outside of some really specific personal circumstances.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM
 
520 posts, read 482,294 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Bay Area is beautiful, but much of your shots highlights SF more than anything and are not at street level which is how most people experience a city. The Bay Area certainly has a lot of suburban blegh/blah blah blah and that is undeniable.

I also don't see what scrantix said about Linda's posts. That is pretty much a strawman since she was pretty much very positive about the Bay Area. It sounds more like an artifact of this US-based site having really flagrant boosters. Both places have their advantages. Also, how does the Hague or Rotterdam or Utrecht compare to what's not SF (with Amsterdam being the comparison to SF) in the Bay Area? Generally not all that well in terms of living in those places for me. SF is definitely the jewel of the Bay Area but much of the rest of the metro is not all that impressive or interesting outside of some really specific personal circumstances.
Hmmm...I dunno...Berkeley is pretty nice. In fact, I think I like it more than SF. Same thing with, say, Half Moon Bay to the south, or Sausalito or San Rafael to the north. If we're willing to stretch even more, Petaluma is absolutely gorgeous, as are Santa Rosa and Healdsburg.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
 
520 posts, read 482,294 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Amsterdam isn't bad at all. It's just that it dwarfs in scale and importance compared to the megacities of western Europe. It's all relative.
Agreed, but for me the smaller scale is actually a positive. You can't really walk from one end of Paris to the other. In terms of importance, Amsterdam is getting pretty important in IT, and with the massive Dutch investment in IT infrastructure (ubiquitous ultra high speed networking), I would think that the other cities will be trying to catch up.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top