U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Randstad 9 36.00%
Bay Area 13 52.00%
Combined option for "none", "confused at the moment", "I don't really know where to begin", "huh" 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,544,469 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the SF Bay Area before and I love it. Amsterdam is very nice to visit though and remains as one of my favorite European cities. However, when we visited there, the best meal we had was steak from Argentina! So I'll vote for SF Bay Area, as I love Asian food which is not as readily available in the Netherlands (aside from Indonesian restaurants) :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM

520 posts, read 482,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I have lived in the SF Bay Area before and I love it. Amsterdam is very nice to visit though and remains as one of my favorite European cities. However, when we visited there, the best meal we had was steak from Argentina! So I'll vote for SF Bay Area, as I love Asian food which is not as readily available in the Netherlands (aside from Indonesian restaurants) :-)
That is a very good point! As awesome as Amsterdam is (and the Netherlands in general), great food is definitely not a strong point. The Indonesian rijstaffel (sp?) can get old quickly. The Bay Area, on the other hand, is a major foodie destination - probably anywhere in Cali.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
That is a very good point! As awesome as Amsterdam is (and the Netherlands in general), great food is definitely not a strong point. The Indonesian rijstaffel (sp?) can get old quickly. The Bay Area, on the other hand, is a major foodie destination - probably anywhere in Cali.
I will concede that It's strange that in the Netherlands, the most popular dishes at Chinese restaurants (nasi and bami) are actually Indonesian.

On the other hand, if you're in the Randstad it only takes 1 hour or so to fly to other major cities like London, Paris, Brussels, Berlin, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I will concede that It's strange that in the Netherlands, the most popular dishes at Chinese restaurants (nasi and bami) are actually Indonesian.

On the other hand, if you're in the Randstad it only takes 1 hour or so to fly to other major cities like London, Paris, Brussels, Berlin, etc.
True dat. But I am a little surprised that the Dutch haven't become foodies when they clearly could.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
True dat. But I am a little surprised that the Dutch haven't become foodies when they clearly could.
Not sure what you mean by that. We do have a lot of foreign dishes integrated into our cuisine and exotic dishes are in fact quite popular (especially now that there are a number of brands that offer complete packages to make it yourself, all you have to do is add fresh ingedients). We just don't have a culture of 'eating out' as much as Americans do, for many people restaurants are reserved for special occasions and they'd rather be safe (knowing they like the food) than pay a lot of money for something they may not even like.

Here's an example of those packages to make foreign dishes that I was talking about: http://www.knorr.nl/nl/productgroepe...ereldgerechten
I usually have about 10 boxes of those in my house

Last edited by LindavG; 01-14-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. We do have a lot of foreign dishes integrated into our cuisine and exotic dishes are in fact quite popular (especially now that there are a number of brands that offer complete packages to make it yourself, all you have to do is add fresh ingedients). We just don't have a culture of 'eating out' as much as Americans do, for many people restaurants are reserved for special occasions and they'd rather be safe (knowing they like the food) than pay a lot of money for something they may not even like.

Here's an example of those packages to make foreign dishes that I was talking about: Knorr Wereldgerechten | Knorr
I usually have about 10 boxes of those in my house
What I meant was that a phenomenal city like Amsterdam could very easily be a top foodie town, in terms of great restaurants, less expensive places and even food trucks that serve lots of varied fare. I'd be surprised if a large clientele doesn't exist, but as you say, maybe its the lack of an eating out culture.

Don't get me wrong - I've never gone hungry in Amsterdam, but even a small town in Germany like Mainz has tons of truly awesome places eat out (very reasonably priced too). Something tells me that Amsterdam could easily be that way.

Food-wise it is unfair to compare it to SF; very few cities compare favorably...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,373,621 times
I like them both, and have lived in both, but the Bay Area gets the nod for its amazingly diverse topography. Canals are nice, but I prefer hills.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I am not saying that the areas represented by the big 4 cities and their neighboring towns are insignificant but to say that they represent the overwhelming majority of the territory of Randstad is simply inaccurate.
Nearly all your posts show you're well traveled and an intelligent guy.

I'm a big fan of your posts, admirable actually.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,452,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Nearly all your posts show you're well traveled and an intelligent guy.

I'm a big fan of your posts, admirable actually.
Thank you, that's very kind of you.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,359,348 times
The Randstad and San Francisco metropolitan regions are so Progressive, Intellectual, Worldly.

They go well collectively with the other Progressive, Intellectual, Worldly, Vibrant, Sophisticated, Cultural Capitals parts of the World.

I love Netherlands, especially the Randstad. Although, I overall choose the San Francisco bay area, even though it is a very close call.

However, since I recently crave some more international experience, especially for living in other countries, I would select Amsterdam to live in compared to San Francisco just for a more new invigorating experience. I already visited Coastal California, figured it out well, and lived in the West Coast region of the USA.

San Francisco bay area wins in Nature scenery, Food/Restaurant Scene, and Some aspects of Economic innovation. The Randstad wins in Music Scene, Entertainment/Partying, Nightlife, Ubiquitous Bilingualism/Trilingualism+ in Languages, Very near Proximity to more Cities, Café bar scene.

Overall, they are probably equally tied for Urban Culture, Diversity, and how Pleasant they seem in Personal/International Opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or