U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,650,131 times

Advertisements

I never travelled to the asian cities, but I can state that most of the major brazilian cities, probably with the exception of Curitiba and Brasília, are very dense. In the case of the coastal cities such as Rio and Salvador da Bahia, the area of these municipalities are relatively small and many hills, but these cities have millions of inhabitants. And other cities like Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte and especially São Paulo have a lot of high rises. The area that is seized by high rises in São Paulo is enormous, from the aeroplane it looks like a sea of buildings, and most of houses are terraced. The pavements are narrow and, except in the planned and upper class neighbourhoods, don't have green lawn.

Brasília is a planned city, and Curitiba has a very good urbanism, with very large green areas, detachec and semi-detached houses, wide pavements and only a few buildings, mostly in the city centre and in the upper class neighbourhood of Batel. It's an exception within Brazil.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM

267 posts, read 738,079 times
I live in Belgium (341,9/km²), in the region of Flanders (Without Brussels: 462 inw./km² ; Brussels included:537 inw./km²), not far from The Netherlands (447,9/km).

I've never been to big Asian cities, but New York felt dense, Paris and Barcelona "denser", Istanbul the "densest"...

Not speaking about the bigger cities as NY of Philadelphia, the whole Boswash-area is pure countryside for me

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,376,687 times
Based on popular opinions, impressions, perceiving these are initially the top 10 cities that plenty of people, including me, view as the highest density overall:

1. Tokyo
2. Shanghai
3. Hong Kong
4. Mumbai
5. New York City
6. Paris
7. London
8. Seoul
9. Kolkata
10. Beijing

However, there is an unprecedented surprise for this topic with some cities because this website link: The World's Densest Cities - Forbes.com shows quite a different situation for a significant amount of cities:

1. Mumbai India: 29,650 people per square kilometer
2. Kolkata: 23,900 people per sq km
3. Karachi: 18.900 per sq km
4. Lagos: 18,150 per sq km
5. Shenzhen: 17,150 people per sq km
6. Seoul: 16,700 per sq km
7. Taipei: 15,200 sq km
8. Chennai: 14,350 people per sq km
9. Bogota: 13,500 people per sq km
10. Shanghai: 13,400 people per sq km

The website link for this topic appears to have some accuracy, but it seems a bit arduous and obscure to measure an entire region’s average density level.

Some people seem to overly idealize high density and forget a few features about it. A higher density area can have more vibrancy, sometimes more visually photogenic, but higher density can have a noticeable amount of flaws and also indicate more congestion, sometimes more tough tense living conditions and more problems.

However, the management and presentation of high density areas can vary and be expressed differently from each other, so the benefits can be maximized, and the flaws minimized.

The World needs an even mix of high density, medium density, and low density areas, and for there to be a balance in the configuration of everything.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,602,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that. This proposed project would have 17,150 people at a density of 500,000 per square mile. It's smaller than ward 10 and probably won't be built at that scale. But it's likely evenutally something large on that scale will get built.

Atlantic Yards Report: Extreme density: Atlantic Yards plan would dwarf Battery Park City, other projects
500,000 ppsm is unlikely... There would be 200,000 units per square mile. The website then claims 2.5 people per apartment is a conservative estimate that would lead to a density of 500,000 ppsm. It sounds like they took they average US household size when it should be pretty obvious that the average household in apartment buildings will be lower, especially if the apartments are mostly 1-2 bedroom and when you consider a certain number of units won't be occupied. Downtown Toronto household sizes average around 1.65 with 1.5 people per unit when you include the ones that aren't occupied. The 22 acres of the Atlantic Yards also doesn't seem to include the area up to the middle of the streets which would make it more like 32 acres. Including streets, with 1.5 people per unit, you'd get a density of 206,000 ppsm and population of 10,300.

There's a proposal to develop a city block in Toronto with 1663 units (so about 1/4 of Atlantic Yards) that would have around 400,000 units per square mile if you don't include the streets and 300,000 units per square mile to the middle of the surrounding streets. Granted, it's smaller and is almost entirely residential aside from some ground floor retail. It's also rather unlikely that it will be approved at that density.

Lower Sherbourne might be home to huge development

A pair of adjacent city blocks in Toronto's entertainment district has 2221 units proposed for them as part of 6 towers in 5 separate projects on top of the existing 1004 units. That would yield a density of around 250,000 units per square mile, quite close to the Lower East Side and it's more likely to be built than the Lower Sherbourne block since the towers aren't out of context with the neighbourhood and will likely be built. There would still be a small parking lot on which a very slender tower could be built and a row of old 2-3 storey that are relatively unlikely to be redeveloped. The population would be large enough for its own census tract, which would have a density of about 380,000 ppsm not including what might be built on the small parking lot. The smallest of the existing condo buildings is 13 storeys and the tallest one proposed would be 49 storeys.

The recently proposed Mirvish-Gehry mega project also in the entertainment district would have 2600 units over 1.5 city blocks at a density of 550,000 units per square mile, or around 825k ppsm in three 82-86 storey towers...

These densities for the entertainment district include the area up to the middle of the streets surrounding the city blocks btw. The current densest city block in Toronto has a density around 300k ppsm.
Another mega project at the foot of Yonge Street would probably have very high densities too but they haven't announced how many units there would be.
1 Yonge | Urban Toronto

The Oxford Place development proposal (# of units also not announced), while taller would likely not be quite as dense since the towers are further apart.

Looking at the Toronto proposals, it seems the highest densities will be either in places where the towers were built within the existing built fabric where developers are constrained to small sites with little room for podiums or on very expensive to develop sites like the Hudson Yards where you have to go very dense to make a decent profit. For large scale developments like City Place in Toronto, the towers are more spaced out with podiums and courtyards and the density is lower, more around 150,000 units per square mile at the city block level, and since City Place will have a school, park and the earlier blocks don't have big podiums (ie less dense), the final density of the neighbourhood will probably be only around 150k ppsm with around 14k residents, so St James Town, which has 2000 new units proposed for it will still be densest neighbourhood at that scale.

However, if the development is within the existing built fabric, the built fabric has to have few office towers, parks and heritage buildings in order to achieve Lower East Side densities. Most places with high enough land values for full blown skyscraperization are going to be in downtowns where there are offices and heritage buildings and parks, so I think these densities unlikely to happen on a scale of more than a couple city blocks. Ward 10 in 1910 had 71,879 people living at 433k ppsm so I kind of doubt we'll ever see those kinds of densities on that scale in North America. The densest set of adjacent city blocks in the UES have 75,000 people at 180k ppsm though, which is pretty impressive given how much of the land area is taken up by 4-6 storey buildings.

Last edited by memph; 02-10-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,267,608 times
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but here is a photo I took in Monkok at the Ladies Market (Night Market) on Thursday March 17, 2013. It was in the afternoon and quite alot of people.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,689,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
It's not restricted to just the developed world, any city in the world.

It's really hard to grasp what the densest place is, I've heard some say Dhaka, others say Karachi, others say Kolkata, others say Manila. I've heard people say there are tracts within Hong Kong that put everywhere else to shame, then turn around to say Dharavi in Mumbai could be it. In turn I've heard several different arguments made, CNN mistakingly refers to the West Bank as the densest place in the world-- man they're wayyy off.

There's the argument that quality urban areas to those with mass quantity but I'll leave that for another thread. Just want to get a mental picture of cities around the world at this really.
Not the West Bank - Gaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or