U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM

66 posts, read 180,541 times

Advertisements

Jakarta, Indonesia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,578,167 times
Easy to answer. Watch the cities at the same distance in google earth, and then compare them by their population. Using that method i think the most dense cities are: México DF, Sao Paulo, Caracas, Barcelona, Cairo, Istambul, Lagos, Seoul, Hong Kong and Yakarta.
In the opposite side, the cities of USA, Canada and Australia, seems to be the lesser denses. Always fascinated me the case of Miami. It has a brutal size and barely 6 million inhabitants. Incredible.

Comparte It to BA (13 million inhabitant):
(Google Earth; Eye Height in 300km)

Miami:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Buenos Aires:

Insane.

Last edited by marlaver; 01-15-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Jakarta rules the world on density

Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 AM

829 posts, read 1,899,556 times
Buenos Aires

Palermo:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ntina-_136.jpg

Palermo - Recoleta
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/a...los/heli79.jpg

Retiro, near downtown
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/a...los/heli81.jpg

Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Yakarta (10 million):

it's not much dense than Buenos Aires at all

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Sao Paulo (19 million inhabitants):

Compare it to Los Angeles, city with almost the same population (18k):

Last edited by marlaver; 01-16-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
Yes, the cities in the United States pale (miserably) in comparison to that of the cities in the world. We have in general a more spread out layout and lower density. I agree with all of you, when I personally see pictures of places that I haven't been to like Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Seoul, Bangkok, and so on I become jealous of what we don't have. Which is a large scale urban environment.

New York is our legit city, I wouldn't put another else from this country to compete on the global urban caliber of these other cities but will say as much that our cities are coming through and they're getting there. Perhaps not now and perhaps not in my lifetime but they will normalize to the rest of the world instead of always seen as dismal urban environments.

Los Angeles has the densest urban area in the United States, albeit all American cities compared to foreign ones have an excessively large footprint-- we're seeing a good period of urban infill all around the country.

One lack: Our vision for transit sucks. I wish we could borrow China's ambitions and aggression towards heavy rail networks.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
I'm not sure how the density of New York City is calculated since the area of the city include a lot of territorial waters that can't be built on so I wonder how Manhattan itself alone compares. Also with the NYC area there is also Central Park and the airports that cover a lot of land area so I think the built up areas of New York are probably more crowded than the overall city stats would suggest.

I'm just guessing probably Tokyo or Mexico City in terms of density, maybe Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm not sure how the density of New York City is calculated since the area of the city include a lot of territorial waters that can't be built on so I wonder how Manhattan itself alone compares. Also with the NYC area there is also Central Park and the airports that cover a lot of land area so I think the built up areas of New York are probably more crowded than the overall city stats would suggest.
The density numbers usually divide by land area and exclude water.

Manhattan itself has a density of about 70k/sq mile. Subtracting lightly developed or nonresidential land and parks would give a higher density. Dividing the city into smaller census tracts, it looks like the median resident Manhattan lives in a census tract of a density of around 120k / sq mile and the median resident of New York City lives in a census tract of a density of around 55k / sq mile:

The New York City metro is much denser than London in its very center:

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM

10,293 posts, read 11,696,993 times
Metro Eindhoven (about a half million people not incl. Helmond)...

from 1000 km:

from 500 km:

from 30 km:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or