U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 50 28.74%
London 48 27.59%
Hong Kong 31 17.82%
Tokyo 21 12.07%
Paris 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM
 
54 posts, read 18,810 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

London and Paris can be horrendous to live in simply because they are aging and badly designed for the modern age. Paris has been focusing on its residents, unlike London's preference for free markets to do as much as possible, which might give it the edge in livability.

New York and Hong Kong are similar in terms of modernity but HK has far better infrastructure and the modernizing powerhouse of China behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2018, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,547 posts, read 4,687,996 times
Reputation: 4298
To live:
1. Tokyo - Could be stressful during commute and being a foreigner in Japan could be a bit difficult, but at least the rent is reasonable and dining out isn't a luxury. It's also significantly safer than any Western city.




2. Paris - Pretty bad security-wise, dirty, the metro system is absolute ****, the rent is really expensive and the taxes are high, but not as bad as ....
3=. London - Appallingly expensive. The rent is even more preposterous than in Paris. Sucks extra hard due to the heinous rates of transportation.
3=. New York - Same as London, except that the subway is even more disgusting than that of Paris.











































5. Hong Kong - Horrible services, repugnant rent, miserable people, zero space. Just an all around terrible place to be in. I would auction the plane ticket online if I ever win one for free.

Last edited by Greysholic; 06-09-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 09:03 PM
 
300 posts, read 160,848 times
Reputation: 464
I personally don't like cities that are built on gridiron street plans. I like my street layout messy and organic as it becomes a walker's paradise where nooks and crannies are waiting to be discovered.

(1) London

My favorite city in the world and it is the only place where I have lived (so far) that actually, truly, felt like home. Aside from what has already been mentioned, one thing that I love about London is its urban layout. It is a city of villages, or what London City Hall refers to as town centres. There is about 1,400 town centres within London, and at the heart of these town centres is the High Street (equivalent to the "Main Street" in the US) where two-thirds of Londoners live within a 5-minute walk away making the city truly walkable to live in.

These town centres are divided into 5 different classifications -- International, Metropolitan, Major, District, and Local. To give you guys an idea what they look like, here are examples of each type:

Local town centre: Belsize Park composed of Haverstock Hill, Belsize Village, and England's Lane



District town centre: West Hampstead



Major town centre: Angel Islington



Metropolitan town centre: Kingston



International town centre: West End of London




(2) Tokyo

I love Tokyo! Just like with London, I love its urban layout with busy centres surrounding railway stations. I love the narrow neighborhood streets that become "shared streets" where pedestrians and cars intermingle, like below in Shinjuku. You'll find these types of streets all over the city. I also love the various "yokochos" or alleyways that I find charming and atmospheric.




(3) Paris

Despite being overly planned by Haussmann, there are relics to Paris' past, which one can discover by wandering around some neighborhoods like Le Marais and Montmartre. Here, you'll find organic street patterns and surviving medieval buildings.


(4) New York

Only because I prefer New York over Hong Kong. Plus, there are neighborhoods in Manhattan (below 14 Street) that still have organic street patterns like Greenwich Village.


(5) Hong Kong

I actually like Hong Kong and I still get that tingly feeling when I ride the ferry from Kowloon to HK island. The architecture though can be nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2018, 06:18 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,149 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Reputation: 10226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I personally don't like cities that are built on gridiron street plans. I like my street layout messy and organic as it becomes a walker's paradise where nooks and crannies are waiting to be discovered.

(1) London

My favorite city in the world and it is the only place where I have lived (so far) that actually, truly, felt like home. Aside from what has already been mentioned, one thing that I love about London is its urban layout. It is a city of villages, or what London City Hall refers to as town centres. There is about 1,400 town centres within London, and at the heart of these town centres is the High Street (equivalent to the "Main Street" in the US) where two-thirds of Londoners live within a 5-minute walk away making the city truly walkable to live in.

These town centres are divided into 5 different classifications -- International, Metropolitan, Major, District, and Local. To give you guys an idea what they look like, here are examples of each type:

Local town centre: Belsize Park composed of Haverstock Hill, Belsize Village, and England's Lane



District town centre: West Hampstead



Major town centre: Angel Islington



Metropolitan town centre: Kingston



International town centre: West End of London




(2) Tokyo

I love Tokyo! Just like with London, I love its urban layout with busy centres surrounding railway stations. I love the narrow neighborhood streets that become "shared streets" where pedestrians and cars intermingle, like below in Shinjuku. You'll find these types of streets all over the city. I also love the various "yokochos" or alleyways that I find charming and atmospheric.




(3) Paris

Despite being overly planned by Haussmann, there are relics to Paris' past, which one can discover by wandering around some neighborhoods like Le Marais and Montmartre. Here, you'll find organic street patterns and surviving medieval buildings.


(4) New York

Only because I prefer New York over Hong Kong. Plus, there are neighborhoods in Manhattan (below 14 Street) that still have organic street patterns like Greenwich Village.


(5) Hong Kong

I actually like Hong Kong and I still get that tingly feeling when I ride the ferry from Kowloon to HK island. The architecture though can be nasty.
I like a mix of street patterns as well! I believe you're thinking primarily of Manhattan when you say NYC, but that's actually a fairly small part of the city. Much of the city actually mismatched grids because much of NYC was established as separate towns or villages at different times that then grew into each other, plus the waterways running through the various islands that make up the city also dictated some pretty different paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 AM
 
137 posts, read 49,906 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
To live:
1. Tokyo - Could be stressful during commute and being a foreigner in Japan could be a bit difficult, but at least the rent is reasonable and dining out isn't a luxury. It's also significantly safer than any Western city.




2. Paris - Pretty bad security-wise, dirty, the metro system is absolute ****, the rent is really expensive and the taxes are high, but not as bad as ....
3=. London - Appallingly expensive. The rent is even more preposterous than in Paris. Sucks extra hard due to the heinous rates of transportation.
3=. New York - Same as London, except that the subway is even more disgusting than that of Paris.







































5. Hong Kong - Horrible services, repugnant rent, miserable people, zero space. Just an all around terrible place to be in. I would auction the plane ticket online if I ever win one for free.

Is HK actually that bad?? - also, why did you rate Paris above London when the tube is better than the metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,149 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Reputation: 10226
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Is HK actually that bad?? - also, why did you rate Paris above London when the tube is better than the metro
It’s bad to him, but great to many others. He really doesn’t like East Asian cities save for maybe Japanese ones. It’s an ongoing thing for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,639 posts, read 2,917,925 times
Reputation: 5165
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Is HK actually that bad?? - also, why did you rate Paris above London when the tube is better than the metro
London and Paris both have very good transport networks which have seen a lot of investment in recent years the Paris Metro RER and the investment in the Grand Paris Express are impressive.

Similarly London has invested in it's underground including new stock and signalling, whilst scemes such as Thameslink, London Overground and of course Crossrail are equaly impressive. To use the London system it is important to have an Oyster card which limits the amount you can pay in any one zone, as London commuters have had to pay for much of the vast improvements.

It is sadly NYC that is currently paying the price for petty squabbles between City and State, a lack of infrastructure investment in the subway, which is a great system but has been neglected by numerous Mayors.

NYC is undergoing some improvements in relation to the Second Avenue Subway, Long Island Rail Road Improvements and new Moynihan station and Penn improvents, and there has been some new subway stock, but it still falls short when compared to levels of investment in some other cities and the need for a signals upgrades is especially pressing.

In terms of Hong Kong it has a unique mix of transport, with a good bus networks, an extensive MTR network, ferries and even esculators etc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-11-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM
 
137 posts, read 49,906 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London and Paris both have very good transport networks which have seen a lot of investment in recent years the Paris Metro RER and the investment in the Grand Paris Express are impressive.

Similarly London has invested in it's underground including new stock and signalling, whilst scemes such as Thameslink, London Overground and of course Crossrail are equaly impressive. To use the London system it is important to have an Oyster card which limits the amount you can pay in any one zone, as London commuters have had to pay for much of the vast improvements.

It is sadly NYC that is currently paying the price for petty squabbles between City and State, a lack of infrastructure investment in the subway, which is a great system but has been neglected by numerous Mayors.

NYC is undergoing some improvements in relation to the Second Avenue Subway, Long Island Rail Road Improvements and new Moynihan station and Penn improvents, and there has been some new subway stock, but it still falls short when compared to levels of investment in some other cities and the need for a signals upgrades is especially pressing.

In terms of Hong Kong it has a unique mix of transport, with a good bus networks, an extensive MTR network, ferries and even esculators etc.
Thanks for your input! Very interesting what you said. How would you rate those cities by their public transportation systems?

I haven’t been to HK but I have heard incredible things about its PT

I would rate as follow:

1.Tokyo
2. London
3. Paris
4. NYC - I was surprised how crumbling is this city’s infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
6,309 posts, read 1,747,973 times
Reputation: 2057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London and Paris both have very good transport networks which have seen a lot of investment in recent years the Paris Metro RER and the investment in the Grand Paris Express are impressive.

Similarly London has invested in it's underground including new stock and signalling, whilst scemes such as Thameslink, London Overground and of course Crossrail are equaly impressive. To use the London system it is important to have an Oyster card which limits the amount you can pay in any one zone, as London commuters have had to pay for much of the vast improvements.

It is sadly NYC that is currently paying the price for petty squabbles between City and State, a lack of infrastructure investment in the subway, which is a great system but has been neglected by numerous Mayors.

NYC is undergoing some improvements in relation to the Second Avenue Subway, Long Island Rail Road Improvements and new Moynihan station and Penn improvents, and there has been some new subway stock, but it still falls short when compared to levels of investment in some other cities and the need for a signals upgrades is especially pressing.

In terms of Hong Kong it has a unique mix of transport, with a good bus networks, an extensive MTR network, ferries and even esculators etc.
NYC doesn't have much public support in the country or the state. Most governors of New York State focus more on upper-state investment (as can be seen in all the ads come from there).

Honestly, I don't see much of a bright future for the city, it is aging just like most north eastern cities. Yhe future of America is down south and out west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 AM
 
89 posts, read 37,752 times
Reputation: 123
I probably would choose Hong Kong, then Tokyo, Paris, NYC, and last London.

I do not know but NYC and London has way too many arrogant transplants and out of towners with enormous salaries and horrible attitudes.

Paris is more messy and more colorful.

Tokyo is very Japanese which is cool

Hong Kong is just another planet of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top