U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 50 28.74%
London 48 27.59%
Hong Kong 31 17.82%
Tokyo 21 12.07%
Paris 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 PM

6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I get really active into the nightlife of Japan and find it absolutely extraordinary in that regard. I do like Tokyo better than NYC, though NYC bars are better. I think though you have to really be looking for it and know a little or a bit of Japanese. People often ask how I find things in Tokyo, even people that live there. Found the used lingerine gatcha machine before my friend whom lives there had any idea where it was! Great city to go all out in, can't really do that in NYC anymore. I also like the harsh stance against drugs. Raves in Tokyo are really about the music from Trance to Speedcore. In America, it's kinda just meh. I still go for the music, but I find the

But Japan's work culture, low pay, and the like kill the thought of working there. I can see retiring to or near Tokyo though. I know my friends in Saitama would love that.
Japanese companies usually do not fire people, and employees usually do not switch employers.
On the one hand, there is no way to 'start over again"; and on the other hand, you are protected by a safety net. The hierarchy is obvious and you are expect to follow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 PM

20,106 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Big cities like Tokyo certainly have all kinds of restaurants. I was talking about authentic foods relatively rare or very different in other countries. Raw fish/meat is a good example of that.
Personally I am not a fan of (traditional) Japanese cuisine. Many things are too sweet for me with teriyaki-like sauce, others are too salty (the ramen noodle soups and miso soup in Japan are generally extremely salty). But right, I may be biased because I like spicy food. If I choose to go to Asian restaurants in the US, normally I choose either Sichuan, Thai or Indian. (Even Americanized Thai food is too sweet for me.) In fact I almost never go to Japanese restaurants by myself.

However, I have not tried any high-end places in Tokyo, just small restaurants.
Right, many big cities have a large variety of international restaurants--I'm just saying that I've been really impressed with the quality of them. Again, while raw fish and meat do have a presence in Japanese cuisine, there is a vast number of dishes that do not involve either.

If spicy in terms of food being chili pepper sort of hot, then it is slimmer pickings for spicy food in Tokyo compared to NYC (not sure about Paris or London in this regard; certainly London has a lot of Indian cuisine, but they might tone it down a bit) since NYC has a largr number of Mexican, Sichuan, Hunan, Thai, West African, and South Asian restaurants that don't go easy on people.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 405,997 times
I judged by how easy an enjoyable and valuable day trip can be made out of the city center.

London -- Stonehenge, Oxford, Cambridge, Windsor Castle, Stratford on Avon.

Paris -- Chateau de Fontainebleau, Normandy.

Tokyo -- Hakone, Mt. Fuji, Karuizawa, Nikko.

Hong Kong -- Macau, various outlying islands.

NYC -- Can't think of a lovely destination for day trip. Maybe Princeton NJ.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:30 PM
BMI

6,509 posts, read 3,785,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I judged by how easy an enjoyable and valuable day trip can be made out of the city center.

NYC....day trip? ....Hamptons....Catskills...Hudson Valley....

I voted for London....NYC would be second for me.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:02 PM

6,548 posts, read 4,678,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I've been to all of them several time. so I'm an expert.
Sorry but that does not make you an expert.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 AM

8,582 posts, read 2,895,875 times
Quote:

You could add Brighton to that list and other seaside resorts.

As for food and restaurants, London has a plentiful supply.

The best food in London: 55 must-try dishes in the capital's restaurants -The Evening Standard

The 50 Best Things To Eat In London - Iconic Foods - Bucket List

100 Brilliant Budget Restaurants | London's Best Cheap Eats - Time Out

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-16-2018 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Much as I love NYC, the lack of investment in the subway and certainn infrastructure lets the city down, indeed some are arguing for higher fares and more investment.

People go on about high fares in London, but Transport for London is a non profit making with 68% of your fare, spent on the everyday running costs of the network and 32% on improving it for the future.

Reinvesting in transport - Transport for London

NYC has some major decisions to make in relation to it's subway and certain other infrastructure.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:55 AM

1,702 posts, read 744,212 times
Quote:

I d rather go to Lille or Lyon than Fontainebleau for an entire day...

Old 06-16-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
I d rather go to Lille or Lyon than Fontainebleau for an entire day...
Lille is only 1 hour 30 minutes from London and it's only 2 hours to Paris and Brussels on the train and vice versa, and you can change for other nearby cities such as Bruges or Antwerp.

So you could visit any of these places for the day and Eurostar fares are fairly reasonable.

Day trip to Paris | Eurostar - London

Eurostar.com | London - Lille | Eurostar from £29‎

London - Brussels | Eurostar from £29‎

There are also direct trains from St Pancras to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and the South of France including Lyon, Avignon and Marseille and there is also the direct ski train to Aime La Plagne in the Apls.

European City Breaks | Weekend Breaks to Europe | Eurostar

Direct Eurostar to Lyon, Avignon & Marseille | Times, prices, tickets

Train to La Plagne | Ski Train | Eurostar

Planned new direct services Eurostar train services from London include Bordeaux, Frankfurt and Geneva.

Next Bordeaux, then Frankfurt and Geneva – the cities you will soon be able to reach direct by train - The Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-16-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 AM

1,702 posts, read 744,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Lille is only 1 hour 30 minutes from London and it's only 2 hours to Paris and Brussels on the train and vice versa, and you can change for other nearby cities such as Bruges or Antwerp.

So you could visit any of these places for the day and Eurostar fares are fairly reasonable.

Day trip to Paris | Eurostar - London

Eurostar.com | London - Lille | Eurostar from £29‎

London - Brussels | Eurostar from £29‎

There are also direct trains from St Pancras to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and the South of France including Lyon, Avignon and Marseille and there is also the direct ski train to Aime La Plagne in the Apls.

European City Breaks | Weekend Breaks to Europe | Eurostar

Direct Eurostar to Lyon, Avignon & Marseille | Times, prices, tickets

Train to La Plagne | Ski Train | Eurostar

Planned new direct services Eurostar train services from London include Bordeaux, Frankfurt and Geneva.

Next Bordeaux, then Frankfurt and Geneva – the cities you will soon be able to reach direct by train - The Telegraph
Paris Lille is 60 minutes in average

London is too short for one day, minimum, great minimum is a weekend... But overall the moral is, this north west europe is full of options you can reach easily for a day or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or