U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 50 28.74%
London 48 27.59%
Hong Kong 31 17.82%
Tokyo 21 12.07%
Paris 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:55 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,577,744 times

Advertisements

As a general trend though, the waters around London are cooler than those of NYC : )

That said, I think the scenery of the coastline near London tops that of NYC, and actually is prettier than most coastlines so close to a city anywhere in the world. The White Cliffs of Dover would be one of the more rugged and picturesque spots on the American west coast, and it's an easy day trip from London. I've also heard excellent things about Brighton as a beach town destination of late, though I'm not sure how it compares to the beach towns surrounding NYC.

London isn't exactly known as a hot bed for natural scenery, but I'd say when comparing it against all the 30 or so metros of a significant size that aren't in the western US on topography, coastal features/proximity, layout/green spaces, etc, London might have all of them beat as a whole package. Tokyo probably only answers to a handful of cities in the world on the natural scenery surrounding it, the only cities in the US I think in it's league would be like Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Honolulu.. Nagano a 2 hour train ride and Kamakura a 1 hour train ride plus numerous outstanding gardens and parks within the city, pretty tough combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:05 PM

20,117 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - it's currently nearly 90f in many parts of the UK.

You can just get on a train and be at the beach within an hour from London.

10 best beaches near London to visit this weekend | Time Out
All true, but I’m not sure why you’re quoting my post

Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM

7 posts, read 1,818 times
Hong Kong is the only city that doesn't freeze among the cities listed in the topic.

Hiking is still possible and without sweat in winter but people don't swim at beaches.

Can both hike and swim in summer but with sweating and very sunny.

People stay indoor more in winter in HK.

It can be 0 to 10 degrees. Most HK homes don't have warm air conditioning in winter.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 AM

592 posts, read 177,319 times
FYI, Hong Kong is very run down, unplanned, and polluted. The air quality is almost as bad as Beijing or Mexico City. The traffic is horrible and could rival Los Angeles.

Other than that, Hong Kong has some neat stuff, but nothing you couldn't get in Singapore, which is as neat, well planned, and green as Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or