U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 50 28.74%
London 48 27.59%
Hong Kong 31 17.82%
Tokyo 21 12.07%
Paris 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM

403 posts, read 495,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post

In terms of city proper:

London - The City boundaries is 7000, the City Hall definition is 8.6 million

NYC 8.5 million (5 boroughs)

Paris 2.2 million

Hong Kong 7.2 million

Built-up area+contiguous suburbs

London 13 million

NYC 17 million

Paris 11.8 million

Hong Kong 3.4 million (Hong Kong island + Kowloon)

Metro (immediate satellite towns):

London 15 million

NYC 18 million

Paris 12.1 million

Hong Kong - back to 7.2 million (in effect Hong Kong metro and city proper are one and the same)

US-style metro:

NYC 22 million

London 21 million-23 million

Paris 12.3 million (notice how consistent Paris is in defining built up urban areas without straggling low density suburbs or satellites)

Hong Kong - now this can get vast. A US style metro would add in the world's biggest city to Hong Kong, the contiguous area of Shenzhen-Dongguan-Guangzhou-Foshan counts 34 million people, and a metro of 45 million in an area smaller than LA. HOWEVER due to the border, even though it's porous geographer's prefer not to count the city, at which case HK's city proper, metro and US style metro are an unchanging single count of 7.2 million. If however you do count it, it's thus a whopping 41-52 million.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A MEGALOPOLIS, the Pearl River Delta city:
Nice post but your figures for London are too high
London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urban area is 10M not 13M
Metro is 12-14M not 15M
And your 21-23 million figure is completely fantasist, what don't you count all of England while you're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM

277 posts, read 438,605 times
^The Greater London Urban Area is a bit outdated; first measured by the Office of National Statistics 15 years ago- even then it missed out large areas such as that around Heathrow Airport which it didn't consider urban (eg Slough, Windsor, Staines, Maidenhead etc), and along the Thames to the East that are separated by the river. Most notably it now misses out all the new development (since the catchment area was coined in 2001 the city added 1.3 million people, and the metro an additional 1.5 million).

compare this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oeiKkLjj-Y

with this - note all the pink areas that mark out new builds (plus this map is old). Also how development has spread north of the river in the east, Tilbury, Grays etc:

http://geology.com/world-cities

As geographers we've had about a zillion discussions about this (it's also a big issue currently about encroachment on what's meant to be protected Green Belt land, but that's deteriorating due to the population explosion, and loosened legislation. The city's adding as many people now as at the height of the Victorian times, when it sextupled it's population in less than a century).

As for the 'US style' 21-23 million figure, as you correctly point out, one could easily go onto most of England, that city-state aside, would be the most densely populated country in the West, and 4th in the world - it fits 48 million people into the size of Maine, and especially as it's measured by how many people commute into the next town along.

http://pickthetrick.com

Using these US criteria (with very low thresholds I might add) between towns (as low as 10%), let alone cities (as low as 1%), it could go on forever - but the line has to be drawn somewhere. (And yes, the English commute as much as Americans/ New Yorkers, a lot by car but a lot also by the dense train network that has 7 major rail termini into the capital's centre. They have the longest average commutes in Europe). So in short, in the same catchment area as NYC's metro for example, the last census has it at 21 million in population - which will have risen substantially by now.

In truth though the UK does not measure on commuting habits, nor much uses metro measurements to define a region, though it's been coined once before by the ONS ( dubbed the London Metropolitan Region, with a population of 21 million back in 2011).

Last edited by smool; 01-11-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 PM

5,787 posts, read 6,342,595 times
I will not be objective, I will speak from my perspective and how I romanticize these cities. All of which are excellent, btw. Also note I have not been to London before.

1) NYC - Greatest urban area I've been to. Basically the epicenter for classical music which is a primary focus in my life. Also love the vibrancy, diversity and food.
2) Hong Kong - Chinese cuisine is critical to my happiness and it's arguably the best in HK. There's also a lot of other excellent food widely available. I am ethnically Chinese and married to a Cantonese girl so it matches my sensibilities. It's a minor difference, but I think the transit system in HK is the best of any place I've been.
3) London - I imagine the vibrancy and diversity is similar to NYC, and classical music is nearly on the same level as well.
4) Paris - I had the best time when I visited, and I can speak the language on an elementary level, but I just don't feel I belong at all.
5) Tokyo - Amazing city as well, but I'm much more comfortable in HK and I often feel like a stranger/outsider. Perhaps it's because of the lack of diversity...

I wouldn't mind living in any of these cities, but the first three I could stay in for the rest of my life if I had to.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM

26 posts, read 31,069 times
I have not been to Hong Kong or Tokyo, between London, Paris and New york i would say:

1. Paris: Enormous, a lot to see and the best food in the world.
2. New York City: So much to do but bad weather and a lot of people in small places, you suffocate.
3. London: London might be the most overrated city in the world, all the sightseeing is within an hour walk from eachother
in one afternoon, you have seen everything you need too.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
No.
You probably need to have extra information or contacts. There are plenty of not so expensive restaurants in Tokyo. Tokyo is definitely cheaper than Paris and London in terms of pretty much everything.
Yeah, nowadays Tokyo is definitely cheaper than Paris and London, for everything, really. I'm not even sure if Tokyo is more expensive than NYC nowadays, with the strong dollar. Real estate is definitely more in NYC, I think restaurants are around the same.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 PM

200 posts, read 238,237 times
Tokyo
HK
London/NYC
Paris

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 AM

1,268 posts, read 858,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko3371 View Post
3. London: London might be the most overrated city in the world, all the sightseeing is within an hour walk from eachother
There's far more to London than just sightseeing you know, but even so that's just wrong. There's a mindbogglingly ridiculous amount of things to do in London and its surrounding areas.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 AM

1,204 posts, read 714,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
There's far more to London than just sightseeing you know, but even so that's just wrong. There's a mindbogglingly ridiculous amount of things to do in London and its surrounding areas.
Warning, Will Robinson. Troll detector malfunction.

It takes a seasoned explorer on a rigorous schedule seven days to barely touch the surface of London. If someone with less than 30 posts to his name claims that he saw everything in several hours, and that because of this it is "the most overrated place on earth", they either have questionable knowledge or are up to no good. Either way, to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Last edited by Hightower72; 01-12-2015 at 01:35 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,692,832 times
Getting tired of these top tier city match-ups, lesser globally known cities like Osaka/Auckland/Durban/Guayaquil etc. would make more interesting polls.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:25 AM

277 posts, read 438,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko3371 View Post
Wow, out of curiosity where did you go? I hope it wasn't some tourist group thing, as they have a habit of doing whistlestop tours. One of the biggest gripes also is that the big tourist sites are so far apart, stretching from the world's largest inhabited castle in the western end to a 1400 year old cathedral 50 miles to the east. Even the central London sites are disparate and dotted about the place (one of the biggest letdowns about the city is it isn't historically cohesive like Paris - but then again that could be one of the biggest compliments too due to the mix, atmosphere and plurality).

You might need a better guide next time as you missed quite a bit - 6 UNESCO World Heritage sites, 50,000 protected buildings, 300 street markets, 240 museums (Just the 3 biggest collections alone hold 14 million pieces, as the biggest collection of stolen booty from the world's biggest empire), 1500 art spaces and a million seats each for theatre or stadia, and about 500,000 clubbers a night. Plus 87 square miles of parkland, 8 palaces, 3 castles, 6 cathedrals. In short the best thing about the city is exploring - getting lost, finding stuff, even as a local. The amount of culture is daunting.

For example, in my neck of the woods few people know about it, but there are 40 square miles of royal parkland riddled with waterfalls, Roman ruins, cenotaphs, secret royal mansions and natural flower-filled punchbowls. One needs to walk about 5 miles through woods to even approach it, whilst by car it's very, very hard to find the official car parks by the entrance. Plus this little number of a building, which for a decade I never knew existed. In no other city (perhaps Paris) would something this big and ornate be completely off the radar to even locals. It's a former royal/ gentry estate now university campus (there are 3000 such 'Country Houses' dotted round the country:

www.summeresl.com

Last edited by smool; 01-12-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or