U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 50 28.74%
London 48 27.59%
Hong Kong 31 17.82%
Tokyo 21 12.07%
Paris 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
 
2,045 posts, read 2,493,083 times
Reputation: 2416

Advertisements

I've only been to NYC, London and Paris. Of the three, here's the order of amazement/stupification...

NYC (followed closely by...)
London
Paris

I actually enjoy London and Paris more than NYC. NYC is just such an overwhelming beast. These are three of my four favorite cities in the world (with Chicago).

Last edited by BigLake; 01-12-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
 
1,268 posts, read 859,308 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Warning, Will Robinson. Troll detector malfunction.

It takes a seasoned explorer on a rigorous schedule seven days to barely touch the surface of London. If someone with less than 30 posts to his name claims that he saw everything in several hours, and that because of this it is "the most overrated place on earth", they either have questionable knowledge or are up to no good. Either way, to be taken with a mountain of salt.
Ha! Need to get my troll detector repaired

Good posts from yourself and smool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 AM
 
507 posts, read 335,947 times
Reputation: 371
New York is the only one among these to make my jaw drop in amazement, but for all the wrong reasons.

(Next on the list in this category would be the Calcutta slums

To look at it objectively, London, Paris and New York are equally impressive in very different ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,678,814 times
Reputation: 9776
I must say I am surprised Paris is being voted last, even below Hong Kong. That is absolutely inexplicable to me. Paris, to me, would be #2 at worst.

The only thing HK has on Paris is highrises. There is literally nothing else. It isn't even a more important business center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
 
391 posts, read 522,948 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I must say I am surprised Paris is being voted last, even below Hong Kong. That is absolutely inexplicable to me. Paris, to me, would be #2 at worst.

The only thing HK has on Paris is highrises. There is literally nothing else. It isn't even a more important business center.
It's a more important business center than Paris. Even Geneva and Frankfurt are more important than Paris.

To me Paris is more on par with Berlin, Madrid and Rome than London or New York.

My ranking:

1. New York City
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Hong Kong
5. Paris

But if I'd rank all worldcities in a top 10, the ranking would be like this:

1. New York City
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Los Angeles
5. Beijing
6. Singapore
7. Hong Kong
8. Paris
9. Shanghai
10. Sydney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,149 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Reputation: 10226
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
It's a more important business center than Paris. Even Geneva and Frankfurt are more important than Paris.

To me Paris is more on par with Berlin, Madrid and Rome than London or New York.

My ranking:

1. New York City
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Hong Kong
5. Paris

But if I'd rank all worldcities in a top 10, the ranking would be like this:

1. New York City
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Los Angeles
5. Beijing
6. Singapore
7. Hong Kong
8. Paris
9. Shanghai
10. Sydney
Shouldn't the sheer number of major global headquarters based in Paris put the city higher up? There's that and being the headquarters for a large of several major international organizations and a very large regional GDP and the seat of a government that has veto rights in the UN and the largest tourism numbers in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM
 
391 posts, read 522,948 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Shouldn't the sheer number of major global headquarters based in Paris put the city higher up? There's that and being the headquarters for a large of several major international organizations and a very large regional GDP and the seat of a government that has veto rights in the UN and the largest tourism numbers in the world.
Well, if ranking because of veto rights then Moscow should also have a place there. I believe Bangkok to be the most visited city in the world though, and I was actually thinking about putting it on the list. Maybe even before Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,149 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Reputation: 10226
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Well, if ranking because of veto rights then Moscow should also have a place there. I believe Bangkok to be the most visited city in the world though, and I was actually thinking about putting it on the list. Maybe even before Paris.
Yea, I believe Moscow is a very influential city. I think Paris having a combination of those things puts it high up--the sum of various attributes makes more sense in doing global rankings rather than picking one or two things by themselves and saying that's the only rubric to go by. Moscow certainly should have a place if there's a heavier weighting on geopolitical power and influence on world affairs--for better or for worse.

Bangkok being the most visited city seems reasonable. It's pretty fun, though I don't think there is nearly the same scale of multinational corporate and organizational headquarters based in Bangkok as there is in Paris nor comparable GDP/GMP nor a government with a seat on the security council, so I think it'd be a stretch unless number of international visitors were the entire rubric (or something else that fits Bangkok like most fun megacity in southeast asia, maybe the world or places currently getting inundated the most by throngs of nouveau riche chinese citizens looking for a close and cheap vacation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,320,864 times
Reputation: 1353
London pretty much sucks, but the best city in the mix is probably New York City just that I feel in love with Hong Kong , but in all honesty I was only there two weeks. My daughter
fiance wants to take 8 of us to Paris for their wedding . So I
held out on Paris due to no experiance there. Haven't been to
Tokyo since 1965 and found the central park cool and the
night life, food were great the people literally lovable ,

Last edited by openmike; 03-02-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 2,053,679 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
It's a more important business center than Paris. Even Geneva and Frankfurt are more important than Paris.
You think this because you don't have a clue about the economy of Paris and your vision of Paris is based on stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top